Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zero added sugar nutritional prodcuts
Quote | Reply
Have been off added sugar now for a month and feeling great.

Any recommendations for sports drinks/bars with zero added sugars?

Right now I’m using Nuun plus RX bars…so need some more thinking on this.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Zero added sugar nutritional prodcuts [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My recommendation would be just using plain maltodextrin (glucose) in your drink. You can add some sugar free juice etc for flavour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides no added sugar, what are you wanting in your sports drink/bars? Protein? Sodium? Caffeine? Natural Carbs?

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Zero added sugar nutritional prodcuts [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
Besides no added sugar, what are you wanting in your sports drink/bars? Protein? Sodium? Caffeine? Natural Carbs?

Sodium and carbs ideally
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a meeting for my kid's baseball last night - I spent the whole time staring at a display for BioSteel - the big marketing point seemed to be "no added sugar". Aside from that, I have no actual insight into the product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
LEBoyd wrote:

Sodium and carbs ideally

Um... maybe I'm a bit dense, here, but what? You want carbohydrates in a drink, but you don't want sugar? I suppose your only other option is fiber... Have you tried metamucil?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
LEBoyd wrote:

Sodium and carbs ideally

sorry this is funny: no sugar but you want carbs. what do you define as "sugar" here? and what do you define "carbs"? are Fructose, glucose, and sucrose in your definition of carbs?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UCAN?
Quote Reply
Re: Zero added sugar nutritional prodcuts [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
LEBoyd wrote:

Sodium and carbs ideally

sorry this is funny: no sugar but you want carbs. what do you define as "sugar" here? and what do you define "carbs"? are Fructose, glucose, and sucrose in your definition of carbs?

I think he's looking for natural carbs/sugar as opposed to added carbs/sugar.

Quote Reply
Re: Zero added sugar nutritional prodcuts [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
LEBoyd wrote:

Sodium and carbs ideally

I think he's looking for natural carbs/sugar as opposed to added carbs/sugar.

Yes, this.

Might be an impossible ask to get quick carbs without added sugar, but that’s the goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about natural fruit juices as the base and adding salt/sodium? The acid may not work, but it's the only drink I can think of with natural sugars.

(BTW, another non-sponsored plug for the Saturday app. It tells me how many carbs, volume of fluid and salt/sodium I need for a workout or event. I was always pretty bad on the volume and salt/sodium content. I've seen a tremendous increase in my ability to do workouts on +105F days.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The maple syrup based products are likely your best bet.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zero added sugar nutritional prodcuts [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
The maple syrup based products are likely your best bet.

Reminds me also of honey

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All carbs are sugars once they're in your gut. Your body can't tell whether it came from an apple or sugarcane. Starches become glucose and fibre turns into fat or goes straight through.
If you're aiming to give your liver a break from fructose, avoid tooth decay or resensitise your tastebuds, then you'll have to drop the fruit and 'natural' juices and syrups like honey too.
Longer polysaccharides would then be what you want - so no fructose, glucose, dextrose - but much longer than maltodextrin and you could risk some issues. I used cyclic dextrin on a steady aero turbo session once and seemed to block myself up - was very sick and bloated; couldn't eat for hours.
Sugar is unhealthy for many reasons, but some of the reasons don't apply during exercise. Moderation and timing. Gels, fruit, bread, whatever is all "added sugar" to your diet & bloodstream.
Last edited by: emceemanners: Sep 5, 23 12:32
Quote Reply