Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zero G's aren't all that...
Quote | Reply
That's what I tried telling myself when I sold my last bike with it but now I miss the aesthetics of it. :( Not even the Campy skeleton brakes look as minimalist and bling factor as the Zero G's. Oh and speaking of good looks without much increase in functionality...

For over 1.1k, this derailleur can be yours! Shipping extra. ;x
Quote Reply
Re: Zero G's aren't all that... [IzzyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was a kid and just taking up bicycling, riding a Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 (roughly equivalent in cache to to a current Sora-equipped bike) and reading about carbon fiber in the aerospace industry, I fantasized about making a bike out of ALL carbon fiber - every single gram of it, spokes, components, etc., everything but the nuts, bolts and screws. As I got older and studied engineering, I realized how crazy that was. And now, it's possible (with enough money) to build a bike that is the living embodiment of my childhood fantasy.
Last edited by: skater: Sep 11, 08 17:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't you just imagine sucking this derailer right into your lightweight wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who buys a 1100 derailleur deserves to be punched in the face.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oh and speaking of good looks without much increase in functionality...

You'd actually probably be looking at a net decrease in functionality...

But you're right - it looks cool.

Why aren't the pulleys carbon? That CNC'd 7075 bullshit is a total copout...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really happy with my ZG's. I got a good deal on 'em and love the way they feel. Oh yeah, and they look trick too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IZZY I've had my zeros for about 2 years and love them. The only thing I would change is the yellow pads that came with the brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Zero G's aren't all that... [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which tyoe of zero to do you have? OG or NG and what is a typical "good" price to get either of these. And has anyone tired the KNCN or something like that brake set that is supposed to be just as light but better breaking power?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But is electronic? :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Zero G's aren't all that... [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently have the KCNC CB1 brakes, Zero Gravity 07-ti brakes and a pair of Ultegra brakes. The Ultegra brakes are the strongest but the KCNC and the OG ti are not that far behind if you take some time to set them up. I am also running them with Nokon's which does help with the OG's and KCNC.

I think that if you change out the stock pads on the OG's and KCNC to better pads, then the braking is very close to that of the Shimano brakes with stock pads.

I never understood what peoples hang ups are with the Zero Gravity brakes. They stop me more than fine when bombing down hills at 40-50 mph and I can stop quickly. What more do you need in brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Zero G's aren't all that... [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Anyone who buys a 1100 derailleur deserves to be punched in the face."

For having more money than you do?
Quote Reply
Re: Zero G's aren't all that... [BMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by a Nokon set up?

Ok so if you had to choose between KCNC, zero or ultregra for your bike which is the same bike you would use to race with....
any takers on this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy - I have the KCNC on my new SLC build!
Quote Reply
Re: Zero G's aren't all that... [BMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had ZG's on my bike since spring. The "feel" is different than my old Ultegra brakes. More of a controlled stop but emergency stops are not a problem at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Zero G's aren't all that... [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seriously, is there no such thing as an objective standard of reasonableness? Is it ever reasonable to buy $8000 shower curtains? Maybe you say yes, but i say, categorically, no.

fyi: the whole punching face was a reference to this thread
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Last edited by: mtlrunner: Sep 12, 08 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have to agree w/ bman, the KCNC brakes rock !! lighter, easier to set up, stay centered, better looking, more color options, less expensive than ZG. comes w/ two different pairs brake pads. i've been using them for about a month, feels like they stop better than ZG also. anthony
Quote Reply
Re: Zero G's aren't all that... [MAGGBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Zero G ti 06 models on my road bike and have not had any issues with them and they stop well enough. Not quite as good as Dura Ace, but a lot better than what I first expected out of a light weight set. And they do look bad azz .......

Quote | Reply
seriously, is there no such thing as an objective standard of reasonableness? Is it ever reasonable to buy $8000 shower curtains? Maybe you say yes, but i say, categorically, no.

fyi: the whole punching face was a reference to this thread
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Thank you for adding so much to this forum. Your the greastest ever
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well...then again, the VAST majority of people on this earth would choke in horror at the thought of, say, $3500 for a new P3C or $1800 for a set of Zipps...let alone some of the $10k+ rocketships some people on this forum own. Its all in your perspective. So yes, I CAN conceive of an $8000 shower curtain. Like you, I cannot JUSTIFY such an expense. But I can conceive of it. And I do not judge the person finding that particular item a reasonable expenditure. Heck...they're probably in the crowd that would choke on our bike expenditures...even a $1000 derailleur (which, by the way, I cannot justify either!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People should buy what they want and can afford. Credit Card? You are crazy. Peeled of a pimpin roll of hundreds? Good for you!
The universe is plentiful.

People who judge people by what they do or don't own........ priceless.
The same, but doing it comparing against what they own?................Multiplying by zero twice is the same as doing it once, but possibly.......Priceless squared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is an objective standard of reasonableness I would suggest this is probablynot it:

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
seriously, is there no such thing as an objective standard of reasonableness?

Of course not.
Quote Reply
Re: Zero G's aren't all that... [luckyleese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now THAT is a reasonable looking bike! I bet that bike was bought on close-out for a thousand less then MSRP. Looks like it's tastefully assembled with good components where it matters more (wheels) and standard components where it doesn't at all( Are those 5 year old ghetto pedals, stock brakes?!) Heck, one could even get wheels like that second hand on ST. Then flip them locally for a small profit if you want...

Who's bike is that anyways! :)

Quote | Reply
How do you like the KCNC brakes overall?

I had a set of Zero Gravity's on my road bike, but went back to Dura-Ace. The Zero Gravity's would not stay centered and did not offer the stopping power like the Dura-Ace. I had the LBS check/adjust them a couple of time, but in the end...they were not reliable and I did not feel safe with them.

"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." Po "The Dragon Warrior", Kung-Fu Panda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Anyone who buys a 1100 derailleur deserves to be punched in the face."

For having more money than you do?

Thanks for the laugh. I was seriously considering building a pool in the back yard a while back and asked folks if they had any experience with such a project. Most were pretty helpful, but a few implied I had more money than sense. Which may or may not have been true :) but not in the way they were implying. Then it occurred to me that many triathletes could probably afford to build their own pool for 20 grand, but instead spent the money on impractical monster SUVs that they drove to races. It has been my observation that triathletes, as a group, have money to burn. We just burn it in different ways.

Chad
Quote Reply

Prev Next