Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ZIPP Disk with Powertap:Thoughts
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone has one and their thoughts on it?
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP Disk with Powertap:Thoughts [TheRock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My main thought is that it is uber expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP Disk with Powertap:Thoughts [donny6352] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My main thought is that it is uber expensive.

Yeah. I'll continue to use my PT808

http://bryanlh.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I predict these aren't going to sell very well. People this commited to riding with a powermeter will recognize that this wheel is now encroaching into the SRM pricing territory. I'm all powertap on my wheels, and I was looking forward to the disc...but when I saw the pricing I started looking at getting a cheap SRM and borrowing/renting/buying any disc as I felt I needed. In the end, for the few TTs this year where I can't use a cover, I got an 82mm carbon rim laced to a 24h PT...and I just hope for calm days in terms of wind.

If/when the Hed Jet disc starts coming with PT hubs, they've got a better chance at getting into this market if they can keep the price around or under $2000 retail. The upcharge for a PT hub on other Heds is between $995 - $1295 depending on whether you want wireless or not, so it's possible.

Of course, if you're a PT user not using a cover, it's likely to abide by UCI rules, and it's unclear yet whether the Jet disc will make that cut. I think Hed should send Andy T over to Switzerland with a few samples and an open chequebook to get that taken care of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think one of the advantages of the PT Zipp Disc is how easy it is to change between bikes. That is why we have one at Colorado Multisport available for rent/demo. Really the price is basically the cost of the Zipp Disc plus the cost of a 2.4 PT hub.
That being said, I am waiting on my own SRM wireless to arrive!

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP Disk with Powertap:Thoughts [GDNenn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRM pssssh stick with the PT Disc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to use my wheel cover at the Masters Nationals TT, so most of the incentive for me to buy a PT disc just went away. That being said, if I knew I was potentially within x seconds of a Stars & Stripes jersey and a new disc might potentially be x seconds faster than my wheel cover, I might pull the trigger (with my wife's permission of course!).

---Francis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used one at Master Nats. My thought was that I got to try a zipp clincher disk(dream wheel for me), but a really heavy one. The bare wheel was heavier than my flat zipp disk with glued tire and cassette. I had heard that it might be flexy, but I had no problems with flex during my limited 5 day use of the wheel. Benefit over an srm, like someone said, easy to change between bikes. What does a wireless srm cost? gotta compare apples to appropriate bananas. IN the end, a lot of money no matter which way you go, but how much did ou just spend on that bike anyway?

I was thinking on my ride yesterday, that disks/wheels are expensive, but that over the life of a wheel, the actual wheel cost is less than the cost of all of the tires/tubes/cassettes that will be used with it. Looking for ways to justify things in my mind..........
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP Disk with Powertap:Thoughts [cervelo3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was able to use my wheel cover at the Masters Nationals TT, so most of the incentive for me to buy a PT disc just went away. That being said, if I knew I was potentially within x seconds of a Stars & Stripes jersey and a new disc might potentially be x seconds faster than my wheel cover, I might pull the trigger (with my wife's permission of course!).

---Francis

huh?? I wouldn't expect to be that lucky next time. That's pretty surprising that you were able to use it, since at NRC events they've been pretty strict about not allowing their use.

As far as the disc vs. 808/Cover, my eyeball windtunnel prefers the 808/Cover setup--but again, I wouldn't count on being able to use it at events that fall under UCI bike regs.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP Disk with Powertap:Thoughts [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they checked this and that the day before at packet pick up, but then just sorta waved you through day of. Get you tothik you need to adjust, but then came to their senses that this really is a US event and not a qualifier for any UCI event, you didn't need to do it to go to worlds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just wondering if anyone has one and their thoughts on it?
unless you campaign multiple bikes.................. or you are never going to mess with more than one wheelset, SRM looks awfully tempting!

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP Disk with Powertap:Thoughts [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The PT internals add only 100g to the wheel. The Sub9 (or clincher disc) are both just a lot heavier than the flat disc to begin with, but they also ride a lot nicer and are faster.

In terms of total price, if you add up the cost of a PT disc, PT training wheel and high end crankset (SRAM red/DA/etc.), it is basically within $100 or so of an SRM (WIRED), disc, and training wheel. So the cost difference is basically a wash, assuming you are starting from scratch. So yes, it is expensive. But netted out, it isn't really that much. Remember, you only need one Cervo2.4.

I have one. It is very nice. The PT hub in the disc is also a Zipp hub with the PT torque tube, so you get Zipp freehub, Zipp bearings, Zipp axle, etc.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply