Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ZIPP 303 Solution
Quote | Reply
I had recently posted a problem I was having with a brand new set of Zipp 303's. I was significantly faster on my DA 7700's than the 303's. After reviewing all of your suggestions and a phone call to ZIPP(who were very helpful) ,I went and purchased a spoke tensioner and dish tool to add to my huge tool inventory. As it turned out the dish on my brand new wheels was off by 1/2 inch, front and back. I must admit that now I understand why the ZIPP wheels are so well liked. I used the front wheel along with my Renn Disc at the T-Gator Tri last weekend and won my age group. After backing out the transitions, it was by far my fastest 10 miles ever at 22.4 MPH! Thats 1/2 MPH faster than I have seen. The moral of the story is, in my case Zipp gets a 10 for product and a 2 for quality control. If there is a great wheel out there, right out of the box, its the Renn Disc. Its built right, its fast and cheap. I plan to use the 303's as my race wheels this year and the Renn disc whenever the course permits. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP 303 Solution [j.l.rubin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's very far out of dish, were the wheels rubbing your frame and fork? I'd bet that the wheel builder who built those wheels didn't flip them over in the truing stand between pre-stresses, and that his stand is in need of centering. That shouldn't happen ever, especially with a thousand dollar set of wheels, but every company has its share of mishaps.

Did you have to redish them yourself?
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP 303 Solution [Ben in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually did re-dish the wheels myself. Zipp said that they would do it, but I would have had to ship them back. I got these through the mail as we did not have a dealer in the small town where I live. I was a little mad at myself for not noticing it immediatly, it was really obvious when the rear wheel was mounted, as it fairs into the frame. The front wheel was not as obvious. Any how you are correct, a set of wheels should be correct, right out of the box. In fact, for as much as these cost, they ought to jump out and make you dinner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does that mean, the dish was out of the wheels?

The reason I ask is I sent my older Zipps in and had them rebuild with new hubs. Since I got them back I get a lot of chain binding noise when in the biggest cog (25 tooth). It's fine when I drop down to the 23 and the rest of the cassette. I never had that problem before and was considering adding a link to my chain. But after reading this I wonder of it's possible my hub is not in the center of the wheel.

Please explain the dish to me. Maybe then I will call Zipp and see what they say.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP 303 Solution [dennisr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dish is the centering of the wheel with respect to the hub. If you stand the wheel perpendicular to the ground, it(the rim) should be perpendicular to the hub as well as centered with respect to the ends of the hub. A dish tool looks like a 180' arc with a movable cenering pin that touches the hub. They are not expensive and all the catalog guys sell them. If the dish is off it will affect your shifting and also cause you to move your brakes either left or right a little to compensate for the rim not being centered. I hpoe this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a truing stand, if the stand is properly centered, the rim on a properly "dished" wheel will be centered regardless of how the hub is placed in the stand.

Likewise, if the bike frame is in alignment, the rim of a properly dished wheel will be centered between the chainstays and seat stays when the wheel is placed in the dropouts or in the case of a front wheel, when it is placed in the fork dropouts, the rim will be centered between the fork legs.

Personally, I find it easier to check proper dishing on a truing stand than with a dishing tool/gauge. But then I'm talking about a Park TS-2 truing stand. A great investment.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether a wheel is properly dished or not has nothing to do with how the bike shifts.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply