Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Your favorite warm/hot weather run gear
Quote | Reply
Looking at replacing my current shirts/shorts/hats for warm and hot weather running. I have some older Sugoi stuff that has been fine but lately in the 90 degree temps with dew points in the mid 70s it gets and stays sweaty. Wanting to replace with some more recent gear to do some longer runs in the heat.

What are your favorite warm and hot weather run wear items? So many choices and price points hoping people can give some recommendations on brands/products they like.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite warm/hot weather run gear [jimmyn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IME it doesn’t make much of a difference between items in regards to anything other than chafing and riding up. If old shorts get soaked, so will high end new ones.
That said a pair of shorts with a good liner can make all the difference. I use Lululemon pace breaker and brooks Sherpa 2 in 1 but the sherpas so ride up when drenched.
My current fav combo is a pair of 2XU compression shorts with any pair of shorts overtop. No chafing, riding up and almost forget I’m soaked.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite warm/hot weather run gear [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:

My current fav combo is a pair of 2XU compression shorts with any pair of shorts overtop. No chafing, riding up and almost forget I’m soaked.

Likewise....compression + cheap ass shorts.

I tend to wear Halo Headsocks for sun protection on my head. The silicon strip channels sweat away from my eyes.

I have about 1000 BCG (Academy Sports house brand, I think) tight fitting shirts that don't chafe the important bits.

Once I find something that works, I just replicate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultimate Direction 4.0 Race Vest. No shirt. Brooks 2" split shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Castelli Summer Headband. Wicks/Distributes sweat rally well so that it helps with cooling and doesn't run into my eyes. I have tried other headbands (headsweats, halo, decente, etc.) and they all made my forehead feel too hot; not the case with the Castelli.

Oakley EVZero sunglasses. The open frame design has better ventilation than my framed Oakleys (Jawbones, Scalpel). Super light as well.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silkies/ranger panties. Nothing else but shoes.

My tracksmith stuff is nice, but spendy, and the bottoms are no better than the aforementioned for sweat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
compression shorts and cheap shorts. If it's really hot, 80+, I don't like the heat, I start with my tech short-sleeve shirt wet, which makes me almost cold. This will last for a mile or so making the beginning bearable. If it's really hot and not too humid, I wear a long loose compression shirt, Target has some Champion ones, and a camelback with ice water. I'll start with a wet shirt and wet it and my nether regions as needed. Same with hat, headsweats. I always wear a hat for skin cancer reasons. To keep sweat out of my eyes, the hat helps, but I sweat a lot. Put vasaline or chapstick in your eyebrows, the full length of them. This seems to divert most of the sweat around the eyes.

good luck, I wish I could get out more. Report back what you tried and what worked or didn't.
Barry

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Last edited by: Barry S.: Jul 9, 20 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Janji. I have a singlet, a pair of 5", and 3" split shorts and they are super thin. Def my go to when its humid AF here in NC. . .which is all day, everyday.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big fan of Tracksmith gear, although since its pricey I've been pretty selective about what I've purchased.

Shorts: Tracksmith Twilight splits or the TS Relays I have. Sessions are good too, but can get a little heavier once you've sweat a lot.

Tops: Brooks Stealth top, New Balance Ice 2.0 SS, TS Van Cortlandt singlets, or Shirtless. Hoping to pick up a TS twilight tank at some point but I just got a bunch of new running shirts.

I've found a headband helpful for keeping sweat out of the eyes, I've been using a buff as a combo mask/headband depending on where I am running, but hats from Headsweats are also nice for this purpose.

Clubs/Affiliations: The Rippers / Charles River Wheelers / Cambridge Sports Union
Last edited by: adoucett: Jul 8, 20 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite warm/hot weather run gear [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is good to have. You can fill up with ice, water, coke, redbull whatever you want.

https://www.rei.com/...andheld-water-bottle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big fan of Nike Dri-Fit singlets. The material is super light and doesn't get clingy or chafe me when it's soaked with sweat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Miami, FL. Most of the runs, this time fo the year the weather is Feels Like +95F....and humidity +85%
I run with CEP Compression Shorts; shirtless; Kayano Socks and Visor.
And I always carry my 18oz Handheld water bottle.
With this, I can run +13 miles "comfortable wet"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of years ago I did a hilly double marathon (Ultra 520k) where the temps rose over 35c/95f for at least the second half of the race. To reduce sun exposure over that length of time I chose to run in the long sleeved Desoto Skincooler shirt with Roka running shorts, Swiftwick socks, Hokas and a Desoto Skincooler running hat. Conceptually the long sleeved version of the shirt took a bit of getting used to but it helped keep the sun off me and I was genuinely cool for the run. Some other folks will run that race without a shirt but in my opinion that's a long time to be exposed to the sun especially if you don't have complete sunscreen coverage all of the time. Plus, you know, skin cancer.

Shorter runs are less critical of course and I'll often just throw on an old dri-fit race shirt with light running shorts.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I do when it's hot is body glide or some other anti-chafe product. Possibly ditch the shirt but I don't find that does anything other than give me a tan/burn and my shorts get wet faster (no shirt to absorb sweat). I almost prefer the shirt since it stays wet and I have something to wipe my face with.

I've used these in Ultras when the temps are 90+: https://itsallaboutthevertical.wordpress.com/...make-an-ice-bandana/
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite warm/hot weather run gear [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably a poor choice, but works OK for me. I'll wear old bike bib shorts (not bib) under my light run shorts. They're skintight so I'm not running in nasty cotton boxers under my shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite warm/hot weather run gear [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's about the same as compression shorts. I do pretty much all my brick runs in cycling shorts. The only thing I don't like about pure cycling gear is that the pad is generally quite a bit larger and thicker than a tri-specific pad. So, you end up with more material "down there". It doesn't bother me for less than 6 miles, but after that I'd rather have a tri-pad, or none at all.

IIRC you only run a few short runs a week, mostly for variety....seems fine to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tracksmith Twilight shorts, expensive but by far the nicest hot weather shorts I've owned. I really like Swiftwick Aspire socks too, lightweight and don't absorb any sweat.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite warm/hot weather run gear [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
😳 cotton boxers to run in! That makes me uncomfortable lol

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite warm/hot weather run gear [icabob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
icabob wrote:
Tracksmith Twilight shorts, expensive but by far the nicest hot weather shorts I've owned. I really like Swiftwick Aspire socks too, lightweight and don't absorb any sweat.

+1 on the SwiftWick Aspires.

I just ordered enough pairs that they are all I use for biking/running. The rest of my tech socks are just sitting in the drawer now (with the exception of my SockGuy Evel Knievel socks that came out for the 4th of July).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jul 8, 20 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite warm/hot weather run gear [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really love the desoto skin cooler gear, especially the honeycomb t-shirt and the arm sleeves.

I also, agree that I like the feel of compression shorts/bibs opposed to running shorts for hot and sweaty runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Castelli Climbers Jersey. It’s like wearing nothing. Their Superlagga bibs are very light as well

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2" split shorts or half tights
no shirt
hat
sunglasses

maybe a singlet from nike/brooks/new balance/saucony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For RUNNING (not cycling) - the SweatGUTR is something I absolutely swear by. For me, it absolutely works, and works extremely well. I sweat enough that I can completely soak through and render useless a Halo headband or other fabric headbands within minutes of higher intensity. But the GUTR is plastic, comfortable (you'll barely notice it's there) and really works for keeping sweat out of your eyes.

Unfortunately, on the bike it doesn't work as well, although it still significantly reduces sweat. The head-down tilt makes the sweat run the wrong way in the gutr, and it can get busy betwen your helmet and sunglasses. I don't use them on the bike because I'm constantly messing with it when my helmet touches it.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite warm/hot weather run gear [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Castelli Climbers Jersey. It’s like wearing nothing. Their Superlagga bibs are very light as well

So you run in a cycling kit? Your name isn't Chris is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've recently purchased a few of the Poshei headbands from Amazon (3 for $15) and been impressed so far. Much better than my Halo bands. My main reason for purchase was to help keep my COVID hair out of my eyes, however they do a good job of absorbing sweat and are light and loose enough I don't realize they are on. You can also wring it out mid-run and it's like you put a new one on - pretty amazing how much sweat came out of it. Haven't tried it for cycling yet, but it's thin enough I assume it would work pretty well under my helmet.

As for glasses, I can't find anything that works for running these days. By 1-2 miles in my Jawbones/Jawbreakers are so covered in sweat I can't even see out of them and end up wearing them on the back of my head the rest of the way. I was able to actually wipe them off with my Poshei headband yesterday and get another 1/2 mile out of them, but at this point I don't even think I will bother taking them with me. I need to find a solution.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply