Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Your bike as a billboard ?
Quote | Reply
Excluding sponsored athletes, does anyone remove the stickers/labels from their bikes because they just dislike the looks? [probably the same people who remove badges from their cars...myself included]

I certainly don't mind 1 or 2 stickers on a frame, but otherwise it seems that manufacturer labels have gotten larger and/or multiplied. Of course, I'm just thinking out loud here....no offense to anyone or any manufacturers.

I love my Zipps, but do I really need/want 8-9 stickers per wheel, and a huge sticker on a disk??

;-)

Keith
Quote Reply
Re: Your bike as a billboard ? [pezdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Renn disk wheel too, but it's got a few too many "bumper stickers" on it. However if that's the worst thing I can say about the wheel it must be pretty damn good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[probably the same people who remove badges from their cars...myself included]

Do you mean the Ford/Pontiac etc from the trunk lid? That would be a little much for me, but I do hate dealership ads on my car. I take the dealer license plate frames off, and I wouldn't even take delivery of a car that had a dealer badge glued on.

I leave the stickers/decals on my bikes/wheels, I think they look funny otherwise. I actually replaced the HED sticker on my disc because I thought it looked odd without it.
Quote Reply
Re: Your bike as a billboard ? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I removed the stickers from my disc, 2 of my deep dish wheels, my softride. When I was sponsored it was often to make room for other logos.
Now if I get something for free the logos stay on, if it is a great deal but I still pay I leave the stickers on for a full season.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Your body as a billboard ? [pezdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you figure out how to remove/obscure the logos on a wetsuit without damaging the suit, please post it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Your body as a billboard ? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try a permanent black marker pen. Will work for a couple of races rather than providing a permanent solution.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a matter of personal taste I actually like good graphics on my bike. Since I own a retail store and have a lot of stuff to sell/advertise I actually wind up putting additional stickers on my bike. I'm like a little kid. I like stickers. I am pretty particular about them though. Good graphics do make a big difference- not just to me but they are more important than most consumers are willing to admit. In my opinion, the guys who have done a great job with their bike graphics are Felt. Zipp has done fairly well with their wheels also. I like the "Formula 1" looking graphics. As an athlete, I have never been good enough to believe for one second that my age-group performances in local triathlons weild enough influence to sway someone's buying decisions. My expereince as a triathlon bike store owner does, but not my ability (or inability) as a recreational athlete. I just like the way the stuff looks. I think its cool. Sometimes when people peel those logos off I think to myself "Don't worry dude, no is really paying that much attention to you anyway- trust me."

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Your bike as a billboard ? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know exactly what you mean, Tom. No one will ever buy a product I ride based upon MY performances...;-)

[and my product choices are always for my personal enjoyment/performance rather than to make an impression on someone else.]

But I definitely do promote the products I ride whenever someone questions me about something. I also agree that some graphics are very appealing and part of a great sales package, while others just knock you over and slap you in the face so hard you get dizzy. I appreciate even more the opportunity to remove stickers/graphics myself, so that I have the option to decide what's appropriate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sometimes when people peel those logos off I think to myself "Don't worry dude, no is really paying that much attention to you anyway- trust me."
Some people take off the logos because they think the plain black carbon wheels, for example, look cool. I don't even give it a second thought. Funny though... you're paying attention to them... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Your bike as a billboard ? [Saber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops- you're right. :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey pez doctor,
i absolutely agree with you. i'm new to tri and i hate those hideous logos on the bikes as well as the gear. lame. i take a sharpie to all the logos i can or tape...i wouldn't buy a bike unless i could have the maker remove their logo's. i'm not gonna spend all that money for an obnoxious bike. seven cycles get's it a bit, but barely. honestly i don't get all the drama about how cool most bikes look with their obnoxious paint and huge logos. nothing graceful or beautiful about them. my first rant on here...but a huge annoyance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where possible I remove my stickers because I don't want to carry the extra weight and possible aerodynamic penalty. (I know, it would be impossible to prove an aerodynamic penalty, but they certainly do not help.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a no sticker guy. I've removed all the Syntace stuff from the stratos and clip-ons (4 listings of the name). It just looks cleaner. I'm thinking about gettting a Hed aerobar, but trying to see if I can get it without the decals (10 I think, one would be okay, but 10 is just redundant, I'm a bit wary of trying to remove stickers from carbon). One of the reasons I did custom paint on my new P2k was to limit the decals (the other was that there's just too many p2k's out there). It will be downtube only. I thought about none, or using smaller decals on the downtube, but I think the big wing tubes look better with some graphics on there. Painted the fork too, but fortunately cervelo doesn't put the cervelo label on the wolf fork, so that wouldn't have been much of a problem. I left the Campy stickers on my wheels, but pulled off the model ones. They were red! I would like to have no stickers on my Zipps (when I get them) for that Jan Ullrich look.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Your bike as a billboard ? [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this point, Larry, you have to do the Easton label, the cranks, the stem, and the seat too....

;-)

but leave the 'Felt'...that's nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the syntace letters come off super easy with a razor blade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Mr. Frank Rehnelt himself posted here a while ago that wheel manufacturers use stickers to balance their wheels. (I can't remember his username, so I can't easily search for the post.) Something to keep in mind.

However, I totally agree that things look better sans stickers. I remember ripping the stickers off of my Diamondback Silver Streak BMX bike way back in the day. Ahh the memories of number plates and mag wheels...

Quote | Reply
Apparently I'm the weirdo on this particular thread. My take on this is that the vast majority of the companies that people on this board give their business to are small, highly specialized players (obvious exceptions being folks like Trek, Nike, etc.) who despite their popularity in our little microcosm are virtually unknown to the world at large. I have a Cervelo golf shirt that my wife got me from their website and in the year that I've had it I've had it a total of one (1) person recognized the name and what it stood for. I just don't find anything wrong with advertising for the guys who make our toys. I have a HED hat that I wear all the time in the winter, a Cervelo jersey as well as the golf shirt and I specifically purchased my LBS's logo socks because I think the owner is a great guy who treats me well and deserves more business.

There are many rants on this website against corporate greed, etc. etc., and I say save it for Starbucks and Microsoft.
Quote Reply
Re: Your bike as a billboard ? [IAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a '96 QR Kilo. It was all black with Quintana Roo or QR painted on it in ten different places. I thought it was beautiful! A friend has it now. It still looks great!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IAG, I think many of us don't mind a 'little' advertising on our products.....but 8 different stickers visible from every possible angle...I don't think so...that's too much. I'll peel off everything but one sticker (just so 'I' remember who I bought it from ;-)

As many have said, they don't mind supporting the manufacturers/suppliers, but there's a limit.

Again, I love Zipp, but when a wheel mfg has multiple identical stickers applied directly across from each other on both sides, it's definitely NOT a wheel balancing issue if you remove them all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting point.

Turn back the clock about 10 years, perhaps a little more and the situation was quite different. On the standard steel frame sets, and wheels of the time, it was very difficult to see any manufacturers logos even when the bike was standing still, let alone moving along at 30 kmH.

A side byproduct of the increasing diameter of bike tubing, true areo frame sets and aero wheels and discs is more lateral surface area to print manufacturers logos on so now, even a standard road bike looks like a rolling billboard.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I find the current Zipp, Litespeed, and Quintana Roo decals to be hideous. Understated logos like the old Hooker and current Cervelo and Santa Cruz logos are much more palatable.

But for the really cool bike logos, you've got to look outside the road industry to Marzocchi, TSG, GGG, Cove, etc.

John "If only Powell Peralta made bike frames" Royal
Quote Reply

Prev Next