Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
You Have to Be at the Start Line: Ontario Masters Swim Provincials (I won a gold!!!)
Quote | Reply
I posted this report on one of the fish thread, but wanted to share some thoughts with the general forum.

The short version:

• I was near the back of the pack in every race
  • I improved all my times except one event
  • I did well paced races
  • I got my first hardware in sport since Wildflower 2015
  • OK....where do I sign up for more....I'm hooked.

The hard part of going from an adult onset triathlete swimmer to swimming with "REAL SWIMMERS" is that it is insanely frustrating how BAD we are at literally EVERYTHING. Everything down to where you left little toe is on right arm pull and what it is doing makes a difference. We flounder, but real swimmers, are easy to confuse with dolphins. Our motions are herky jerky, their are smooth, elegant and well timed. 12 year old girls with flutter boards outkick us while we are doing a full on 25m freestyle sprint....how is that even possible?

2.5 years ago from disc complications I initially lost my ability to walk and was on crutches to get around. I could not get a coffee without asking my wife or son for help. BUT I could crutch to the edge of the pool and get in the water and suddenly I went for a cripple to an athlete...so I swam every day every week, every month....pretty soon I was on the 100K per month program (its really not that hard when you doing nothing as it is only 60-90 min per day).

During this time, the ST swim community have been awesome virtual coaches. I was going through a lot of turmoil at the same time in work life and swimming was just an escape from all.

When you are swimming that much you finally break down the typical triathlete resistance towards other strokes to "I can only break up freestyle sets with bands, and buoys and toys so many ways....what the heck, I'll try the other strokes!!!!"

One thing lead to another and mainly from feedback and encouragement from guys like Jasoninhalifax, Monty, Erikmulk and others I broke down and did my first swim meet 6 weeks ago. Honestly I was scared and embarrassed to be around real swimmer at a real event. But universally I found that FOP swimmers have a mentality more like runners than cyclists. FOP cyclists, I don't know what it is, but they are not that inviting to new athletes, because part of cycling is chewing out the competition. In swimming, everyone has their own lane. It's not about the other guy, it's about yourself and by and large swimmers are less worried about the pecking order, and more concerned about beating their times. Sure, they are happy to take a medal.

In my first swim meet I did the 100 IM, 200IM, 400 IM, 50 fly, 100 fly, 200 fly and 4 relays. I proceeded to get DQ'd in 3 of my events due to illegal turns of stroke screw ups. You perform in racing what you do in practice. I was doing all kinds of illegal things in practice, so the next month, I did everything all the time, by the book to ingrain everything.

It's a long story, but we have two provincial swim championships in Ontario...kind of like ITU vs Ironman long course worlds....whatever, I am just an athlete who wants to compete, so this was my 2nd provincials in 6 weeks. This time

• Friday nite: 400 IM, 100 fly, 1500 free
  • Sat: 200 fly, 100IM, 400 free
  • No relays as I had no club team (bummer)

I drove on Friday from Ottawa to Barrie via Toronto....took the 401 route rather than backroads as I had several conf calls I needed to be on, so I wanted a straight up highway route...well, until I got caught in Toronto Friday afternoon traffic.....oooops, now I was barely going to make it there on time for my 400IM. So I get in and have 15 min of warming up from being cramped in on a 6 hour drive/traffic mess and now I have to launch into my day.

My left leg was feeling weaker than ever from the nerve being compressed in the car....so I took the opening 100 fly "easier" and just felt off....got through the back leg and then going into breast....bam my right calf and foot cramp probably from having foot on and off on the accelerator for 6 hours. I barely made it across for the next 25 and the cramp subsided on the next push off and I was good to go. I had wanted a time of 7:35 and was actually surprised to hit 7:33. 7:30 would be ideal!

2 Paul, Devashish 53 SO-M 7:30.00 7:33.87 25 50.54 1:47.01 (56.47) 2:46.47 (59.46) 3:44.95 (58.48) 4:53.43 (1:08.48) 5:56.72 (1:03.29) 6:45.59 (48.87) 7:33.87 (48.28)

Next up was the 100 fly, but there was only 1 heat of 400 IM after me and then 2-3 heats of women's 100 fly before me, and then I was on deck....not much there to give after the 400 IM...I really wanted to hit 1:35 went through 50m at 46 second and thought a 49 gets me into the goal and totally died....1:39....just not enough rest after the 400IM...plus the drive

1 Paul, Devashish 53 SO-M 1:35.00 1:39.43 30 46.70 1:39.43 (52.73)

Then I had 1.5 hours to recoup for the 1500m. Counters worked awesome...I just put down my head and swam. My left leg was kind of useless and creating a lot of drag, but I just sucked it up and went..below are my splits...I was surprised that I pretty well even split all of the 50's given that i have never done this race in a pool.

5 Paul, Devashish 53 SO-M 25:00.00 24:47.18 14 47.98 1:38.08 (50.10) 2:28.04 (49.96) 3:17.77 (49.73) 4:07.66 (49.89) 4:56.86 (49.20) 5:45.88 (49.02) 6:35.49 (49.61) 7:25.19 (49.70) 8:15.56 (50.37) 9:06.10 (50.54) 9:56.74 (50.64) 10:46.16 (49.42) 11:35.05 (48.89) 12:24.61 (49.56) 13:13.46 (48.85) 14:03.65 (50.19) 14:54.05 (50.40) 15:43.98 (49.93) 16:33.32 (49.34) 17:23.58 (50.26) 18:13.12 (49.54) 19:02.79 (49.67) 19:53.05 (50.26) 20:41.70 (48.65) 21:30.97 (49.27) 22:20.64 (49.67) 23:10.03 (49.39) 23:58.68 (48.65) 24:47.18 (48.50)

Honestly I had no clue what pace I was on, I just went with something that I could sustain from perceived exertion perspective of a 5K running race. I've done enough of those to know what level I can push at

Day 2 was 200 fly, 100 IM, then a long break of 5 hours and the 400 free. The 200 fly felt like a complete disaster. My body was in knots from the day before pushing the end of the 1500m and not warming down properly. I barely slept all night. My goal was to hold 50 second pace per 50 for the first 100m and then go to 53-54 after that. I had done 1:42-1:48 in practice!!! Well that did not happen. I started at 49 and then from there it was downhill, although on a plus note 150-200m was faster than 100-150m:

2 Paul, Devashish 53 SO-M 3:30.00 3:38.93 25 49.21 1:44.74 (55.53) 2:41.96 (57.22) 3:38.93 (56.97)

Right after this was 100m IM. Between the 200fly and the day before drive plus events, plus lack of sleep, I was done by partway into the breast leg. Normally in training when I do fly+ back and then breast+free 50's or 100's the times of both are pretty evenNot this day:

7 Paul, Devashish 53 SO-M 1:40.00 1:42.22 12 48.28 1:42.22 (53.94)

Finally the 400 free after a long break. I had time to recover, do a proper warmup for it and go. My target was 6:20 even though I put in a seed of 6:30
I was unsure how to pace this and I think I took the middle 200m too slack.

6 Paul, Devashish 53 SO-M 6:30.00 6:14.04 13 43.47 1:31.29 (47.82) 2:18.95 (47.66) 3:06.66 (47.71) 3:54.29 (47.63) 4:41.46 (47.17) 5:28.31 (46.85) 6:14.04 (45.73)

Well the field was not stacked at all, but you have to show up and race to get anything and I improved most of the events a bit and did not get any DQ's. First hardware in sport since Podium 3 years ago this weekend at Wildflower 2015, so I am taking it no matter how it comes, considering I still can't walk across a room like a normal human

In terms of the hardware, if I look at the medals on the left everyone who beat me in the 100IM could have entered the 100 fly, 400 IM and 200 fly. I was joking with my wife that I got that hardware, but I was last or second last in each event from the left to the right.....but all those guys who are faster than me, did not enter those events, some for the pain, some prioritizing other events. The guys on the fish thread know how hard I am working all the time to get to the technical level and fitness level to just complete these without a DQ, so I am taking these rather slow times in a swimmer context and the gold and silver.

Mainly the swimmers both on this board and in real life have been very inviting to this former runner/cyclists/skier. I'd be front of pack in all of those and drop the guys swimming circles around me, but they are much more helpful to me than I would have been to them (well, maybe on the XC ski side, I can say I have been helpful to countless cross training athletes becoming skiers).

Jason, Monty, Erikmulk, Tigerchik, RealAlberta, AnnaS (and many more on the fish threads), you made a swimming provincial medalist out of a stubborn triathlete!!!! And coming back to the thread title, you have to make it to the start line....there are around 3000 km of swimming on various ST threads before the start lines this weekend!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 7, 18 6:16
Quote Reply
Re: You Have to Be at the Start Line: Ontario Masters Swim Provincials (I won a gold!!!) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome mate, and I have to say I'm really impressed with how far you've progressed. Keep it up!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: You Have to Be at the Start Line: Ontario Masters Swim Provincials (I won a gold!!!) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Dev. I've always enjoyed reading your insights into Triathlon and training and happy for your success at Provincials.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing you talk about is how good swimmers move in the water. After Masters swimming here, there are a bunch of ex-Dal swimmers who jump in for an easy lane swim before they go and play frisbee. One of them is '12 Olympian David Sharpe. That guy is smooth in the water. it's impressive to see what guys with real talent look like.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: You Have to Be at the Start Line: Ontario Masters Swim Provincials (I won a gold!!!) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
One thing you talk about is how good swimmers move in the water. After Masters swimming here, there are a bunch of ex-Dal swimmers who jump in for an easy lane swim before they go and play frisbee. One of them is '12 Olympian David Sharpe. That guy is smooth in the water. it's impressive to see what guys with real talent look like.

To some degree, this applies in all sports...tennis, baseball, football skill positions, but by the time guys do it at the pro level, they have refined the craft with endless hours hardwiring it into their brains...as triathletes, people like me want that from swimming, but have not put the work in (yet....on the path)...give me 7 years and I think I can be competitive when I hit 60-64
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most impressive Dev, well done! I've been following your progress since the crash. You've shown us how not to quit!

I might be joining the permanent fish ranks myself after a back injury two years ago. It's great to see a guy in my age range and ability excel to the to the level you have.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: You Have to Be at the Start Line: Ontario Masters Swim Provincials (I won a gold!!!) [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look at my times in the report above, these are really slow by any reasonable fish standard. I am getting very non optimized times for the size of my engine (relative to body) as there is a ton of refinement work to do and nothing magic happens in one workout or drill...it just takes a ton of persistence and repition.

But mainly the reason why I posted this separately is for a few reasons:

1. I think going from land athlete to water athlete, we have to reset our expectations on rate of progress. I think Lionel Sanders is the ultimate example...the guy played around a bit as an age grouper and then bam his engine allows him to beat Andreas Ralaert at Muskoka 70.3 back in 2012 when Andreas was at the top of his game, just on the strength of the bike and run....meanwhile he floundered on the swim and his rate of progress on the swim is relatively bad compared to the land sports (it is relative).
  2. Going to water sport, we have to be OK finishing way at the back. Generally pool swimming competition is front of pack people only. If you took out the other 200 people in your age group at an Mdot event, and only had the top 10 guys in the race, this is what a swim event is like
  3. We can get positive reinforcement from incremental time gains. We have to reset our expections from minutes of time savings to maybe a second here or there. Swimmers beat themselves up over tenth of a second gains or not

Also, I really feel that FOP swimmers want us all to get better. They go out of their way to help us. Part of it may be because they are secure in their position and know we have no chance to beat them. I found the same with elite XC skiers. FOP cyclists, seem to generally be more insecure, because a runner or swimmer with an awesome engine, could hop on the bike and be contending for podiums very quickly.

I hope more of us take the plunge into the water side. In my case, I got "forced into it', but dammit, why did I wait so long???? If I did this at 22 instead of 52, I'd probably have KQ'd every year from 30-50 as my engine would be huger, I would get to T2 fresher, my body would be less beat up from less running, best of all, I'd generally be riding out of T2 with superior athletes, thus lifting my game in every triathlon by being around guys with bigger engines and having to push harder.

Pretty well every good pro triathlete comes from a swim background going back to Dave Scott, Mark Allen, Scott Tinley, Paula Newby Fraser...even Chrissie Wellington.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job Dev! It's amazing how you have switched gears so to speak and jumped in the deep end as a swimmer!

I imagine the last few years have been very difficult all around.

Pure single sport athletes are definitely on another level compared to multi-sport athletes.

I like to help cuz swimming is an enjoyable activity, and it's more enjoyable if you can share. My competition is really myself and a handful of people who are at about my level, there it's fun to see who comes out on top...today. Tomorrow will probably be different, and that keeps everyone motivated. But as far as helping slower people, that hopefully gets more people to my level and gives me more people to race.

Really, there's no fun in beating people who are way behind you, so I want them to get better. It's far more satisfying to beat someone who is better than you, I mean If I ever managed to beat RealAB in 100 fly (which isn't likely, but one can dream, right?) I would be immensely happy with that! At the end of the day though it's really about how good your own performance is, are you improving? That's what the sport is about.

As an aside, because I'm kinda wired that way to look at personal improvement, it really grates me that triathlon has a historical difficulty in measuring accurate courses. Yeah, conditions change from race to race, and course difficulty changes, but the distances should be the advertised distance. They don't need to be the "standard" distance, but the advertised distance should be the actual distance of the race. so if the bike in a 70.3 is 87.3 km, call it 87.3km, not 90km.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I'm really happy for you.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have always been such an inspiration to me-your philosophies, the lens you see thru, your quirks, and most of all, your work ethic. You are simply a very special individual. A heart felt congratulations as I know how difficult it has been for you. Un chapeau!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sheer inspiration, congratulations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work and progress! Takes some real man nutz to drag yourself to a swim-only race as an AOS-swimmer. Especially when Lionel Sanders is still getting smoked by teenagers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'atta boy, dev!

don't forget us when you're famous.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: You Have to Be at the Start Line: Ontario Masters Swim Provincials (I won a gold!!!) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually one of the motivations with swimming is it brings me back to my track days....just me against the clock and measuring improvements (or not in seconds) and very few variables getting in the way. This is really motivating and you are right, triathlon unable to measure distances leaves those of us wired this way with a bit of a void! It's why I would almost be more excited about my weekly uphill TT and measuring watts vs time than actual race results!!! Thanks for all the help and encouragement....for nationals in 2 weeks, the program is 100 IM, 200 IM, 400 IM, 100 fly, 200 fly, 400 free, 1500 free (I guess they made a concession for the late Ontario date for provincials and I just found out today I can race the 1500m). We are trying to cobble together some relay team too with Swim Ontario Masters Independents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ottawa to Barrie through friday afternoon traffic. The ought to give you a medal for that! I am going to do the St. Mary's quarry swim 5k on June 24. I am most impressed by your fly.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, Dev! Never underestimate the power of putting in the hard work, and then showing up. Glad you were rewarded for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Dev,

Nice accomplishment making all those trip to different pools around the globe count!

Not sure if you are racing unattached but if this is the case you should join a Masters Club even if it's one or twice a week, the difference in motivation and pushing some sets in group versus alone is priceless and having a coach on the deck fixing things here and there, plus you practice starts...

Enjoy your new hobby! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job Dev, pleasure to chat with you in person!

David
Quote Reply
Re: You Have to Be at the Start Line: Ontario Masters Swim Provincials (I won a gold!!!) [dayvic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dayvic wrote:
Nice job Dev, pleasure to chat with you in person!

David

Wow, you had some crazy fast races which is pretty awesome for someone getting into swimming as an adult. Keep it up!!! I hope to see you at more swim meets around your crazy Medical School residency routine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:) Less than 2 weeks to go.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: You Have to Be at the Start Line: Ontario Masters Swim Provincials (I won a gold!!!) [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey how much do sea level people get affected at 1000m in Calgary? No impact? I think when I was at Salt Lake City at 1250m, I did notice some slow down, so maybe a bit for us sea level people!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit, don't have an exact number. UBC hates coming here to race đź‘Ť. We used to do our camps at sea level so we could do more intensity work...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! There's a saying in swimming: "If you have a lane, you have a chance." Sometimes, you're the only one in your competitive group to step up to the challenge of a particular event. Others had their opportunity for a lane, but opted not to take it. Great to see you get rewarded for putting yourself out there in a sport you're pretty new at. Also great to see that you learned from the DQ's at the last event and were able to swim "clean" in every event this past weekend, despite a very challenging program. Honestly, I don't think I'd have the cajones to swim the 400 IM, 1500 free, 200 fly, and 400 free in the same 2-day event, never mind adding the 100 fly, and 100 IM to that.

I really like how you split that 1500. And your 400, that's pretty much textbook execution. Normally you'd expect to see the first 50 a bit quicker, but I understand you have to give up a little on the start so that was solid start-to-finish. Well done on the whole meet.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply

Prev Next