Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yesterday's ride sucked.
Quote | Reply
I got out of work early, and I decided to stop by the bank first. (Fisrt mistake.)
I spent more time at the bank, than I had planned. I got back to my house just before 3 o'clock.
I got dressed to ride. Short sleave lightweight jersey, shorts and socks. i decided to wear my Giro helmet (as opposed to my TT lid wich would have been much warmer.) Mistake number 2.
The temprature was mid fifties. A little nippy, but not too bad.
I haven't had much time yet for bike riding this year, so I decided to go twenty. (I probably only should have gone fifteen.)
The first ten miles were great. Absolutely no wind what so ever. (When you are out in the middle of nowhere, that's a great thing.)
My third mistake was judging in the weather. I could see a front coming in. (About five miles out at this point.) The first, the really dark clouds, passed over without any problems. So I kept riding.
I decided I needed to turn around after ten miles, didn't want to tempt my fate. After about one minute and ten seconds (could have been less, I don't remember.) The rain hit. The temprature dropped. And worst of all, the wind came in, cold.
The temprature dropped at least ten to fifteen degrees. The rain was that little stinging droplet type. And the wind instantly picked up in speed and gusts. I think the weather man said something like thirty-to forty mile an hour winds with fifty+ mph gusts.
At this point I'm in it for the long haul. It was to windy even for me to go into the aerobars. The oil roads got super slick, but most of all, I was friggen cold. I think I was managing to pull about fifteen miles an hour, maybe. The rain started coming down harder.
I got passed by a few cars with their wipers on full blast. My shoes filled up with water, and my m-frames started to fog. That was all great, and then I realized I couldn't hear anything out of my left ear. It was completly full of water. Cold water.
I got an ice cream headache, and I could feel in my mouth where I got my wisdom teeth taken out last year. Kinda freaky.
I didn't realize how cold I was until I got back into town (about four miles to go at this point.) I couldn't shift gears, and my fingers were to stiff to even pull the brakes. I stopped on the side of the road nd looked in bewilderment as I couldn't flex my fingers. I couldn't feel them. I tried poking my arm, couldn't feel that either.
Ever so gingerly I got back on my bike and continued my ride home. At this point my core body temp had dropped so far I was starting to feel sick, and I hurt all over. Every bump I hit felt like it went straight into my bones. I couldn't really see straight, and I was just hoping and praying that the cars would leave me alone.
I got home and I couldn't even get my helmet un clipped. I managed to get my shoes off. and that was it. I jumped in the shower and I had to put it all the way on cold. Even then, it still felt to warm. I managed to get the rest of my bike clothing off. I put on a sweater and pants and curled up with a blanket for about half-an-hour. My teeth chattered so hard, that I thought I was going to crack a tooth. I was shivering in wierd too. I would shiver and it would build up to where my whole vody was shaking, and then it would die off for about ten seconds and do nothing, and then it would come back.
I finally got warm enough to get back in the shower.
I took my shirt off and noticed something in the mirror. I was was shivering in waves. You could see it in the muscles on my chest. It would start at the bottom and do waves all the way up my body.
Forty five minutes, and no more hot water later, I finally got back to normal.
I did a few weight last night and noticed I was not nearly as strong as I am normally. I cut that short and came home and went to bed.
That was one of those days that make you question why you do it. I don't know, I don't have time to think about it. I gottta go ride now. See ya.
Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride sucked. [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you're okay Gopha..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, you're right.

Not to hack on you dude, but man, I know you had your knees covered below 70 degrees.

Also, I am an online bank, automated ATM addict. My bank never sees me. I am just a number, like smoke. I do my banking at night.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now turn around and do it again and you'll have a small idea of what LA has done repeatedly to win 6.

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, and most importantly, as you know: Be sure to take a couple easy days, stay hydrated and drink lots of warm drinks. That ride was certainly very hard on your body. It will take a while to bounce back.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rough ride.

Rule of thumb when heading out for a bike ride - always OVERDRESS. It has got to be insanely hot out to REALLY overheat on a bike ride. You can always take stuff off, but you can't put on what you don't have!

Cycling clothing is cool, because it is so functional. It looks daft to the outside observer, but things like arm-warmers, leg/knee warmers, over-boots, helmet liners, and wind vests can be taken off and put back on as needed during a ride, often while riding.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You now have another one of those mental images you can use when a race gets tough...."remember that time when I friggin froze my ass off and barely made it home..."....Should make almost any racing moment seem much, much easier.

Glad it turned out okay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man Gopha, I know exactly what you are talking about. The weather chaning in an intstant, the temp dropping, the wind coming out of nowhere and changing directions, the black, black, black clouds overhead. Been there, done that. It's no good! Once, I got back and my girlfriend had to undress me (I was too cold to enjoy it). A couple of times I've had to get into bed and bundle up for a while before I could shower.

I feel your pain, man.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds similar to this mornings 1/2 marathon for me. I don't know how I survived. Then I got in my truck to drive home, and the heat wouldn't work. Goddam Ford Ranger.

At least I managed a PR otherwise I would be pissed =)

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride sucked. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um.....no knee covers.
I only own one pair of long tights, and they're more running designed, they don't work so well for biking.

No easy day today either.
A nice 28 miler with nice twenty-thirty mph gusts and headwinds. I gotta go for a swim later.
Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride sucked. [Jimmy Jazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So long as Lance is riding carbon, and I'm stuck with aluminum I'm gonna make excuses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, that sounds like my first 50k run, new years day, hung over (my bad), 3degC windy and rainy. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Had the "claws of death" like you did at about 37.5k, when I went into a starbuck's for a hot latte. I finished, then got in my car (after 10min to fish my key out and unlock the door), started it, cranked the heat and went home. Felt ok on the drive home, but as soon as I got out of the car at home and back into the cold, I lost it, super chills, trembling. I get inside and my hubby tells me my lips are really blue. I hit the showers in my clothes and all. Same as you, about a 45min long slowly increasingly hot shower. all bad. I was out of commision for at least 3 days.

Glad to hear you made it ok, it can be kind of scary when the weather turns like that, being alone out there (no one to tell you your lips are blue). Hypothermia can progress so fast too... Just take it easy for a few days. You'll need the break.
Quote Reply