Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

X-Treme Wheels - Anyone Tried These?
Quote | Reply
Take a look at their website, the Blades are 2mm deeper than 808's, and around 100g lighter...Not dimpled though.

Any thoughts on these? Anyone ride them?

Oops! Forgot the link: http://www.x-tremecycling.com/products.aspx#wheels
Last edited by: radster: Aug 13, 07 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: X-Treme Wheels - Anyone Tried These? [radster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My local bike shop has picked up the line too. I like the tri-spokes (Windcheaters?) but haven't heard how good they are.

Price is pretty competitive...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If manufacturing/build quality is what you want to know, then yes, they are very good. Have had 3 different pairs of them over a number of years.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Treme Wheels - Anyone Tried These? [Randolph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm looking more at comparing them to simlar Zipp wheels...For example the Blades vs. 808's. Just curious how they stack up against what seems to have become a standard brand-o-wheels.

So they are built well, how are they in terms of handling, smoothness, etc.?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For smoothness, eg of hubs - at least as good as zipp's from the only direct comparison I had a few years ago - hubs are a very simple design, sealed bearings (replaceable), practically maintenance free. Handlinng, presumable same as any other rim of the same depth or trispoke.

Not 100% sure, but I don't think their deep rims have the side wall 'bulge' that zipps do, so maybe not as good from that perspective. If you care enough about dimples, then that's a factor too. Nipples are internal as best I can recall, and zipp aren't, but according to zipp that doesn't matter (zipp therefore easier for maintenance should it be required too).

You might notice some deep rims, including zipp last time I checked, but might have changed, that you can slightly compress the side walls. You can't on x-tremes that I have used (note: NOT the 85mm deep blades), so they are very stiff while still being light. This makes them stong, but might make them overly stiff compared to others though - sacrifice ride comfort???

As far as general build - good. Defintelty not cheapo crap. Straight and stay that way - note: I've seen/had spokes break on both in races though. My 2 cents is always now to recommend some kind of trispokes (80+ mm deep rims can't be THAT much better)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much $ ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Thanks for the info....I guess I really haven't understood the need for the dimples on the zipps, best as I can tell it assists in creating a "turbulent layer" around the wheel (saving ~1-4 watts - from Zipps site), which is appealing, and at the same time confusing that every other wheel mfgr isn't jumping on that bandwagon.

You mentioned tri-spokes, I have heard that they are about as close to having a disc as you can get, and I know X-treme has some 90mm trispokes (Aeromax), and those seem pretty sweet as well, however I don't know how much they can be used universally (cycling races, TT, Triathlon)...and my biggest worry, how they perform in a crosswind. Where I live, there never seems to be a head/tail wind, always crosswind.

My motivation is that I can get a team deal on these things, or maybe pay around $300-400 more for 808's.

Thanks for your $.02, I appreciate the input.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Treme Wheels - Anyone Tried These? [leggett24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they retail for around $1800 (clinchers) or so, not sure exactly what my cost would be but it sounded like under $1500...Compared to getting 808's, for a few (2-3) hundred more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead...

How's durability? Hed claims you can use their Hed3 for racing, everyday training, and even commuting -- they say they build it that tough.

What about these X-Treme Aeromax wheels? Do you think they can they be used as everyday training wheels, too? Or are they better of relegated to "race day only" wheels?

----------------------------------------------------------

keep it simple , keep it real .
--Brett Sutton

But i dont really know that much about bikes. I just sit on em and do as i am told. peddle. hard and fast.
--Chrissie Wellington

I think the best way to get faster is to enjoy it, the more you do the better you get, so go out and enjoy swim, biking and running, and don't feel to constrained and just do lots.
--Stephen Bayliss
Quote Reply
Re: X-Treme Wheels - Anyone Tried These? [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race day only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess that nobody else is doing the dimples because ZIPP patented not only the dimples but the application specifically to bicycle wheels. The dimples are the "invention" and the application becomes the "embodiment" or "method" in reducing drag. This would keep the competition out (HED, etc). Doesn't mean you couldn't patent a stick-on sheet that has dimples which you can apply to your car hood but even then you would need to reference that ZIPP patent.

I'm not a lawyer and I haven't seen ZIPPs patent (if it even exists). Just a guess for fun.

-- Boris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling News just posted the following review:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ews/x-treme_matrix08

Not sure how it carries over to there other wheels???

"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." Po "The Dragon Warrior", Kung-Fu Panda
Quote Reply
Re: X-Treme Wheels - Anyone Tried These? [kristiancyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would guess that nobody else is doing the dimples because ZIPP patented not only the dimples but the application specifically to bicycle wheels. The dimples are the "invention" and the application becomes the "embodiment" or "method" in reducing drag. This would keep the competition out (HED, etc). Doesn't mean you couldn't patent a stick-on sheet that has dimples which you can apply to your car hood but even then you would need to reference that ZIPP patent.

I'm not a lawyer and I haven't seen ZIPPs patent (if it even exists). Just a guess for fun.

-- Boris
based on the fact that this patent is from an indianapolis office, i would say this is the patent for dimples on wheels:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/...s1=%2220040135424%22
Quote Reply