Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wurst Tri Ever RANT
Quote | Reply
Well only a slight rant. Just finished the Wurst Tri Ever in New Braunfels, TX today and would have won (my first overall win in a tri ever so I was pretty happy), but found out I received a 10 min penalty for going over the speed limit down this one hill. I knew before the race about this, but there is nothing I could do to go slower. It was a fairly big hill and the speed limit was only 25. I was riding my brakes but with a carbon brake track there is no way I could get to 25 or under. I was clocked at 30 as were a few other people with carbon rims. I think the 10 min penalty was excessive, 2 min would be fair in my opinion since there is no way we gained that much of an advantage vs someone going 25. 20 secs tops. Anyone else gotten a penalty for going over the speed limit??
Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [wempe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So wait, you knew there was a speed limit, you actively ignored it, blamed your gear, and are now bitching that they gave you a penalty?

Fair. Next.

Sounds like you should have been DQ'ed for not having a set of working brakes.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [rpeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha I expected this from ST. No I did not actively ignore it, and I am far from bitching. Just a little disappointed since it would have been my first overall win ever.
My brakes work, just probably not as well as they should. My point though is that it is a race, you try to go as fast as you can. People in the tour don't get penalties for going over the speed limit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF, a speed limit? If they limit my speed down a hill then hey have to limit everyone else's pace on the run to mine. Oh, and in the swim to. Oh and on the uphill bike ride as well. Downhill is my only chance to make up a few seconds.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for agreeing with me, I knew someone on ST had to haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 words that I would say regarding your penalty, but it is forbidden on here. They start with a G and and R.

sucks man.

I will tell you what, in my heart you are the winner! :)

That is a stupid rule. Funny how they have someone there to time you, but not focus on other cars coming your way etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems to me that if you knew about the speed limit and couldn't (your words) get down under the speed, that you should have let go of the brakes and gone balls out. That would have given you a better finish time than your system.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's true, I wasn't looking at my watch though since it was on the outside of my wrist and I couldn't see the display anyways. Just holding the brakes, plus the cop with the radar gun would have probably given me a speeding ticket since they said I was subject to ticketing for speeding, but I didn't get one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A speed limit in a race? Wurst tri ever indeed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's be honest. You couldnt of gone into this race with high expectations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why is there a speed limit?
Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
WTF, a speed limit?

Triathlon has jumped the shark.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can think of a few other races with an enforced speed limit on tricky descents. They're usually put into place after someone had a really awful speed-contributing wreck in that location in a previous version of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
BCDon wrote:
WTF, a speed limit?

Ralph's/ Cali 70.3 has had a speed limit for ten years or so. I guess tri jumped the shark even before the phrase "jumped the shark" did.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"They're usually put into place after someone had a really awful speed-contributing wreck in that location in a previous version of the race."

Probably someone with carbon brake tracks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've been in one tri with a speed limit. i find it completely ridiculous.

They should also add a heart rate limit on the run so nobody pushes themselves too hard competing.

-Jason
Quote | Reply
Did they announce that a speed violation would result in a 10-minute penalty? It does seem harsh, but if those are the rules for the particular race, everyone has to live under the same roof, so to speak.

My thought would be for the RD to choose a different route, but I know that's not always feasible....so you're faced with what you ended up dealing with.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have 2 words that I would say regarding your penalty, but it is forbidden on here. They start with a G and and R.

sucks man.

I will tell you what, in my heart you are the winner! :)

Good riddance?

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 minute penalty? Why not just give you a DQ? Yes, seems excessive. At the recent AG nationals in Burlington there was hill at the (start and) finish where speeds had to exceed 40. Seems like if they want to hold a "race", they should figure out another course where there is no "safety" issue and there are no speed limits. After all, aren't you supposed to go as fast as you can?
Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
BrianB wrote:
BCDon wrote:
WTF, a speed limit?

Ralph's/ Cali 70.3 has had a speed limit for ten years or so. I guess tri jumped the shark even before the phrase "jumped the shark" did.

I guess you must be a pretty young whippersnapper. GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

The origin of that phrase comes from "Happy Days", which was on TV about 30-something years ago.
There's this cool new thing called Google, I hear all the kids are trying it.

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
BrianB wrote:
BCDon wrote:
WTF, a speed limit?

Not a speed limit, it's a no passing zone. Both years I did it I got stuck behind someone
Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [jasondubose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorta the same concept as no passing zones (which turn into speed traps if you get caught behind slow riders).

Not ideal, but rarely affect the outcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Well only a slight rant. Just finished the Wurst Tri Ever in New Braunfels, TX today and would have won (my first overall win in a tri ever so I was pretty happy), but found out I received a 10 min penalty for going over the speed limit down this one hill. I knew before the race about this, but there is nothing I could do to go slower. It was a fairly big hill and the speed limit was only 25. I was riding my brakes but with a carbon brake track there is no way I could get to 25 or under. I was clocked at 30 as were a few other people with carbon rims. I think the 10 min penalty was excessive, 2 min would be fair in my opinion since there is no way we gained that much of an advantage vs someone going 25. 20 secs tops. Anyone else gotten a penalty for going over the speed limit??

If they put T2 at the bottom of the hill where they enforced the speed limit, would you have been able to slow down (or stop) to dismount? Wouldn't you rather have a 10:00 penalty than a speeding ticket?

From the race flyer:
"
SAFETY ALERT – READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coming back into the park when you come from Lakeview Blvd and turn left on Landa
Park Dr which is the HUGE downhill, special rules will be in effect. These special rules are
being implemented for safety purposes and will be strictly enforced.
1. Once you turn left onto Lakeview Blvd you will be in a NO PASS zone. You will be
dis-qualified if you pass anyone. Even if the person in front of you is going 5mph
you cannot pass.
2. The speed limit will be a MAXIMUM of 25mph going down the hill. If you exceed
25mph you will be dis-qualified and be subject to New Braunfels Police ticketing.
3. A policeman with radar gun will be stationed at the bottom of the hill monitoring
speed.
4. Speed limit in the park is 20MPH. As in all Triathlons, you must obey all traffic laws
as your bike is considered a vehicle. Policeman will be stationed at all
intersections on the route. Thank our boys in blue, New Braunfels Police and
Comal County Sheriff
"

ETA:

You clearly broke the rules. The rules are dumb, but you knew full well going into the race what they were. If you don't like them, do a different race. I personally would never do a race with a speed limit, or one where I have to obey all traffic rules. Come up here to NC and race. No speed limits, and we have fully supported intersections that don't require stopping or slowing. A 20mph speed limit is a joke and clearly favors those who can't manage 20mph on the bike. Ditto a 25mph speed limit.

I tweet!

Last edited by: ZackC.: Sep 8, 12 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Wurst Tri Ever RANT [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sdmike wrote:
Sorta the same concept as no passing zones (which turn into speed traps if you get caught behind slow riders).

Not ideal, but rarely affect the outcome.

Syracuse 70.3 had a no pass zone this year. Couple that with a wave start putting the faster guys in the later waves and the result was a lot of bickering post-race. Both the speed limit and the no-pass zones are there for safety, I guess. It also feels like anti-competition.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next