Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wow. They *PAID* For This...
Quote | Reply
http://www2.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/02/wind-tunnel-visit.html

BEFORE

AFTER

The second picture here is the best position we came up with which reduced his coefficient of drag from the baseline run of 0.283 to 0.278... That’s a small (and expensive!) gain which just goes to show what a great job Chris did in setting his bike initially.

.283 is a good CdA for a ROAD position.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Wow. They *PAID* For This... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lean further over when I'm sitting on the toilet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a reason why roadies mock triathletes. ;-)

I wonder how much money has been spent in pursuit of improved aerodynamics by this guy?
Last edited by: zebragonzo: Feb 22, 09 9:39
Quote Reply
Post deleted by MOP_Mike [ In reply to ]
Re: Wow. They *PAID* For This... [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to take the other side, the guy might have back problems or other physical issues. So maybe this really is the best he can do.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the blog:
The final changes we adopted for this rider based on the wind tunnel results were:

1. Handlebars lowered 1cm. While at 2cm lower he had better numbers he also became obviously more unstable so this was not a good investment as it would likely reduce power and increase fatigue. His core strength needs to improve and once it does we can probably drop the front end a bit lower.

2. Bar extensions and arms angled 10 degrees up. At both 5 and 15 degrees his drag increased. But interestingly, at 10 degrees he had less drag. Lowering the bar extensions four degrees below the base also increased his drag.

3. Rotated extension grips inward. This lowered his time by about five seconds.

4. Helmet vents taped over. This took off about five more seconds.

Congratulations, you just spent $1000 to have someone tell you to tape the vents on your helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Wow. They *PAID* For This... [catchmeifucan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how many mountain bikes pass this guy in an average race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What a great job chris did in setting his position initially" LMAO!!!!!!

I had a chat with Joe friel 2 weeks ago and am a little worried he had anything to do with this!!!

"Keep low.... move fast.... drive on!"
Last edited by: istar1000: Feb 22, 09 9:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have got to know what that guy does for a living. $1700 for the wind tunnel time, plus both fitter and Friel costs. Damn.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by istar1000 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Judging by the white and skinny legs plus the gut I'd say that a little more training might be of benefit. Perhaps the coach has given up on that approach?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - just, wow! At least he is buying as much speed as possible (helmet, bike, wheel, skinsuit, shoecovers, wind tunnel time, etc.)

Probably is 3-5 mins faster over 40K because of his 10K investment ... Now, about that "training" part ... ;)

Re: Wow. They *PAID* For This... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not to single anyone out but perhaps those criticizing should offer their own position pic in constrast?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in the end, we all trade some of our training time for income earning time. this guy obviously has very highly optimized his income-earning time - more power to him, or should i say, more dollars to him.

keep in mind that it takes a whole market to allow races to be held, R&D to be done (on the bikes that you are riding), etc.

now, about all you haters? seems like you are trading not only your training time, but also your income-earning time to case on this guy online.

ironical... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow!

I could have told him for free, to hold his head up slightly :)

Nice aero bike, though! Thing is I never see a bike sitting in transition this uncluttered so those drag numbers kinda go out the window!

More power to him though. If you can tap into the science and the testing available, why not??

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 22, 09 12:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this dude seems to have a lot of money and be excited about the sport. seems pretty cool to me!

the more people (especially well funded people) who enter the sport, the cheaper stuff gets and the more money for pros (not that the latter affects me in any way!)

I say more power to him.

edit: pun un-intended but most likely very applicable.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Last edited by: stal: Feb 22, 09 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: Wow. They *PAID* For This... [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
not to single anyone out but perhaps those criticizing should offer their own position pic in constrast?
No problem. I have a few posted in my "gallery" if you click on my username. :)

Re: Wow. They *PAID* For This... [ramasan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He clearly has a lot of cash to burn but how many people on this forum spend hundreds of dollars for the lastest carbon bike part just to save a few grams?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW, maybe this new and super seemingly specialized fitting protocol will make it in the new edition of the training “bible”! ;-)

Jorge Martinez
Head Coach - Sports Science
E3 Training Solutions, LLC
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rod, the bike fit looks good. The fit of the brown jacket, not so much. ;)

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wow. They *PAID* For This... [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ha. Call me un stunned. BTW, if it is eather Roof, or Rapstar.....you are barking up the wrong tree.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typical know it all ST responses for the most part.

I'd suspect he's a bit older, a bit heavier, a bit less flexibility and has a bit more money than the average response on this thread. As mentioned he may have back, or other issues, so this may be optimum for him. Lance's position was never ST approved either. Nobody should really criticize until they see what his AG bike split is.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Feb 22, 09 16:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Until you see under your seat while riding, you go lower.
Last edited by: Francois: Feb 22, 09 16:04
Quote Reply
Re: Wow. They *PAID* For This... [istar1000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Criticism is fine but do you guys have to be so cruel? Seriously, is it really necessary?

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Wow. They *PAID* For This... [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was exactly my thought. More power to the guy for being part of and investing in our sport.
Quote Reply

Prev Next