Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Would you rather be ultra wealthy or Ironman World Champion?
Quote | Reply
This debate came up with some friends today and I figured I would get the opinion of the greater slowtwitch community. Let's say you find a genie in a bottle and he says you have a choice to be either ultra wealthy and an average triathlete, or you can be of average means but have the ability to win the Ironman WC more than once. There's no in the middle, you have to choose one. What would you pick and why?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather be ultra wealthy or Ironman World Champion? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No brainer. Ultra wealthy average triathlete with plenty of reasons to smile.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather be ultra wealthy or Ironman World Champion? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is easy, average wealth and win Kona multiple times.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Jul 13, 18 19:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
This debate came up with some friends today and I figured I would get the opinion of the greater slowtwitch community. Let's say you find a genie in a bottle and he says you have a choice to be either ultra wealthy and an average triathlete, or you can be of average means but have the ability to win the Ironman WC more than once. There's no in the middle, you have to choose one. What would you pick and why?

I'd pick IM World Champ b/c being a top athlete has been my lifelong quest since childhood. Also, it's not like the Kona Champ is ever going to be homeless; the Kona Champ gets a nice paycheck plus he/she will garner a few hundred thousand in endorsements, appearances, etc, which is more than enough IMO to live off of. Upon retirement, with 2 or more Kona wins on your resume, you could build a very solid coaching business. The Kona Champ could easily have 2 mill in investments by say age 40 if he/she plays his/her cards right; now that's pocket change compared to the ultra wealthy billionaire but beyond a certain point, having more and more money results in no increase in satisfaction, happiness, etc. Furthermore, speaking strictly for myself, i have always felt pretty uncomfortable when driving or riding in a fancy car, staying at a "posh" resort, or similar. I prefer for people to have no idea of my income and net worth, but that's just me.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3 - I think you're kinda holding out on us since you have not expressed your opinion here; or, are you undecided and waiting to see what kind of arguments for each come in, to help you decide???

Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather be ultra wealthy or Ironman World Champion? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
T3 - I think you're kinda holding out on us since you have not expressed your opinion here; or, are you undecided and waiting to see what kind of arguments for each come in, to help you decide???

Ironman WC all day long! Plenty of douchebags get wealthy every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra wealthy every day of the week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy. The money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could not care about making money compared to be a World Champion in any sport. There are millions of guys making millions of $$$....its not that hard compared to being a world champion in any sport. Being a world champion in any sport, there are just a few thousand of those guys across sports and no matter how niche the sport, it can convert into a decent middle class living....once done in sport there is plenty of time to go make money.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather be ultra wealthy or Ironman World Champion? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But you're only world champ for a year.

You're (arguably, for the sake of this hypothetical) ultra-wealthy forever.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a NO brainer for anyone with a reasonable thought process.

MONEYYYYY all the way.

I get the cred of being IM world champion. I do. But you can only be young and world champion for a short time, often only one year.

You got the rest of your life to earn and live after that.

You get $20 mill and you're set for lifetime income of $800k/yr at a 4% interest draw that doesn't touch the principal. And that's for LIFE, and you can share it with friends and family.

If you changed 'ultra wealthy' to 'ok wealthy' (like $<4 mill), I might take IM WC and see if I can make it work, but its no contest at $10-20 mill.

The only other exception I'd make to this is if you are already 45 years+ in age, and you're in effect rolling the clock back to the health of a 25-40 year old by becoming as fit as the IM world champion. In that case, there's a lot to be said about giving up the money for years of life (particularly if you're 65+ already!)
Last edited by: lightheir: Jul 13, 18 20:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra wealthy and it’s not even remotely close. The things you can do and the amount of things you can influence and help with ultra wealth are endless.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Ironman WC all day long! Plenty of douche-bags get wealthy every day.

Alright, glad to hear it!!! Looks like the money-grubbers are leading at 6-4 right now, will be interesting to see the final result. I hope our resident ST pros and ex-pros will weigh in; surely they would pick winning Kona. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello T3_Beer and All,

Both .... in multiples .... and would like to be many other things too .....

But as many have written ..... it is the journey .... not the destination

And in the journey .... did you fight the good fight and feel good about yourself?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather be ultra wealthy or Ironman World Champion? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello T3_Beer and All,
Both .... in multiples .... and would like to be many other things too .....
But as many have written ..... it is the journey .... not the destination
And in the journey .... did you fight the good fight and feel good about yourself?

Neal - Yeah, we all know about the journey and all that but you did not answer the question. "Both" is not an acceptable answer, you have to choose. Come on now, play the game acc to the rules. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather be ultra wealthy or Ironman World Champion? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, since it’s based on a genie granting a wish the “IM champ” hasn’t actually done anything. Neither does the money grubber but no one picking money are saying it’s a satisfying “achievement.”

Money. Every day all day. Buy your way into kona if you want to experience it
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather be ultra wealthy or Ironman World Champion? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add me to the money- grubbers!! Ultra wealthy-lots of stars across all sports end up in some dead end job. You could add triple gold medalist, Heisman winner...still easy choice. Ultra wealthy all the way.
Last edited by: ret123: Jul 13, 18 22:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra wealthy any day of the week. I could set my family and future generations up for life and they can go win Kona if they want.

Ironman World Champion is a great accomplishment in endurance sports but outside that no one cares. Hell most people don’t remember Olympic winners from more than a cycle or two ago.

Money may not guarantee happiness but it sure as hell helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather be ultra wealthy or Ironman World Champion? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy - Ultra Wealthy

Apart from a very small % of triathletes no one knows or cares who is Ironman champion and for that matter no one knows what Ironman is

Show me the money !
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather be ultra wealthy or Ironman World Champion? [erik haas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Money. Check the small print, the money is a given, the WC option you get the ability only, the raw genetics. Plenty out there with the ability who never made it.

I’m taking the sure thing....
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather be ultra wealthy or Ironman World Champion? [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats very easy, money! Always buy you way into the WC if you want to experience it, and i also think being a good AG triathlete with no job (because you are wealthy) who can just travel the world and do a bit of triathlon here and there is a much more fun living than a pro triathlete!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither. Quite happy being MOP in both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:

Neither is very desirable IMO.

The time, energy, and stress to be ultra wealthy is not attractive to me, nor is the lifestyle once you are.

To be a world champion you have to risk a lot and give up even more, including putting your health on the line to perform at that level. Performance does not equal health.

Health and happiness are two of the biggest parts of my life I value and I put those both at risk with either of these options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see how having been a world champion would add much value to my life. The enjoyment I guess is in chasing new goals. The money would definitely open more doors for future happiness than the title, but for most average wealthy (and healthy) people, probably not that many either.

But hey, SHOW ME THE MONEY!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Money... it's not even close.
Quote Reply

Prev Next