Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would you be upset?
Quote | Reply
Short story
Would you be upset if you were beaten by someone with an incorrect AG leg marking?

Long story
I raced in the SOMA half on Sunday. I entered with 2 of my fastest friends in the relay. We started 2 minutes behind the Pros in the second wave. My swimmer exited in second. I left T1 in first place. Early in the first lap I was passed by 1 (P) pro and 1 (R) relay. The three of us stayed together for the first two laps under the watchful eye of a ref. We (the three of us) were also passed by a guy that was hauling ass. I didn't see his leg but his number was 11??. I thought he had to be a fast 35-39 AG, no problem (turned out to be JOZSEF MAJOR). Then we were passed by a guy with (40) on his calf, again no problem. In talking to the other relay guy in our group he asked me how fast my runner was. I told him "1:26"(her goal). He said "shit mine is a 1:30". I knew I just had to finish with him and we would be close. I paced off of him till mile 36. At that point I stepped on it and gave my girl 4 minutes on him to finish with a 2:25.16 for the second fastest (R) bike split. I smacked the ass of my cute little bunny runner and waited (hoped) for our win. It didn't happen. The winning team had a guy that ran like he was on fire with a 1:14.17. The team that came in second just in front of us had the guy I let go with (40) on his calf. My girl gave it everything she had including her stomach contents at the finish line with a 1:31.56 for the 3rd fastest female OA run. We finished in 3rd out of 95 with a 4:26.20.
Overall I am very happy for my team and myself. I am however upset at myself and my swimmer for not puking at our finish lines. My bunny showed us all how it's done with a spectacular finish. I also had a 3 minute slower bike split than last year when I did the entire race. Was pacing wrong or should I have just gone for full pain locker from mile 1? I was curious about the ST opinion as to weather having an incorrect AG on your calf is reason to bitch? I know HTFU.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be upset? [Transition3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First: I don't understand how the AG calf marking error relates to your story. Might be my reading comprehension though.

Second: Yes you should have HTFU and biked harder.

Third: Never rely on calf markings for inspiration, that is weak sauce bro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be upset. Why in the hell does anyone's AG marking have shit to do with how fast you ride your bike? It sounds like you were trying to manage the race in your head (e.g. I think my runner is faster than their runner, so I don't need a gap off the bike). Sometimes this shit backfires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's no other way of putting it: You're a pussy!
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be upset? [bjohn34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
youre in a relay.

youre supposed to give it EVERYTHING you got.

race #'s be DAMNED.

---------------------------
http://www.swimbikerun.ph
The Philippines Multisport Source
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you should be upset. Those numbers are there so you know who you are racing, period. If the RD wants to know how old, or even the number of a person - we just look at the Chip results.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think you have grounds to be a little angry. It's easy to sit at a computer and say we should have gone harder, but in the heat of the race it is easy to compromise and I totally understand. Great job though!

"I smacked the ass of my cute little bunny runner and waited (hoped) for our win"

This is simultaneously beastiality and misogyny. I salute you.

------
David Roche
Some Work, All Play podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/...ll-play/id1521532868
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be upset at riding 2:25 for a flat HIM relay, or at your teammate for running 5 mins slower than her goal.

Losers look at others for excuses, winners find the answers within.

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're doing a relay, why does AG even matter?

If they're doing age group awards within the relays, then we really have wussed out this sport.

Re: Would you be upset? [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I agree that you totally have a right to be upset. I could see myself doing something similar to what you did in a race. I mean isn't the whole reason for the numbers, so you can see others in your AG.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be upset? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you're doing a relay, why does AG even matter?

If they're doing age group awards within the relays, then we really have wussed out this sport.
We weren't doing AG therefore I ignored the guy with 40 on his calf I was looking for calfs with an R. And I think 95 teams is a solid measure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah.... okay I get it, my mistake. You're still a wuss, ride harder next time.

Re: Would you be upset? [du_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You should be upset. Why in the hell does anyone's AG marking have shit to do with how fast you ride your bike? It sounds like you were trying to manage the race in your head (e.g. I think my runner is faster than their runner, so I don't need a gap off the bike). Sometimes this shit backfires.
That is why I dropped the hammer and gapped him by 4 minutes on the third lap. And yes it backfired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I highly doubt he did it on purpose. It was 530am when he probably got marked, and the person doing the marking probably asked how old he was.
Also, I believe last year's bike course was something like 2 miles short. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm nearly positive it was.

Quote | Reply
"I am however upset at myself and my swimmer for not puking at our finish lines"

When this effects paying off your mortgage or putting your kids through college then worry about it. Until then just enjoy being young and foolish and move on happily to the next day.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be upset? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When this effects paying off your mortgage or putting your kids through college then worry about it. Until then just enjoy being young and foolish and move on happily to the next day.
What? What? What?

Last edited by: Record10Carbon: Oct 26, 09 20:33
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be upset? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be upset, but at the end of the day, you can't really rely on those markers. Being a relay though, you were basically in a TT, so I'm not sure how it compares to actual race tactics. Just go as hard as you can. Chances are if you chased the result would have been the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you be upset? [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the more I think about it...this was a team...he should given it EVERYTHING the entire time....who gives a shit what his runner was wanting to do - it was his job to give "Ms. Cutie Ass" the best lead he could before he patted it....

Quote Reply
Re: Would you be upset? [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd be upset, but at the end of the day, you can't really rely on those markers. Being a relay though, you were basically in a TT, so I'm not sure how it compares to actual race tactics. Just go as hard as you can. Chances are if you chased the result would have been the same.

No, because apparently the idiot thinks that he would have biked 15mins faster if wanted too...

it's one thing that these people think shit like that to themselves... but to actually come out and post this bs? Gimme a fucking break!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
15 no, 2.5 possibly. Live and learn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't have started a new thread, but posted here

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...iatch_here._P1566945
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You shouldn't have started a new thread, but posted here

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...iatch_here._P1566945
You missread the intent of my post. I just wanted to hot shit myself for the #2 bike split. Duh. And I asked " Would YOU be upset".
Quote Reply