Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months?
Quote | Reply

Ok I have this buddy that really want to succeed in triathlon but 
I think he might be in denial think a full ironman is out of his reach right now.  The problem is I think he just don't train enough.  He's been a couch potato for a long time so he really does not have any base training at all.  He signed up for a Ironman Canada race that is coming up in  around 7 months.  I think he bit off more than he can chew.  

He attempted a 1/2 ironman race July/2010,  that resulted in DNF because he did not make the cut off time in the swim leg. He was only able to get half way in to the swim before he was notified that he did not make the swim cut off.

Nov/2010 he completed a sprint triathlon.  It was 2 mi run, 12 mi bike, 400 yd pool swim.  The run took him 19 minutes, the bike took him 51 minutes, and 14 minutes for the swim.  

He did finish a few standalone 1/2 marathon in the past.
Jan/2010  that took  3:18
Jan/2009  that took  3:30
Jan/2008  that took  3:05

He advised me that he hired a coach to help him achieve his goal of finishing the Ironman Canada.  

My 2 cents is that he need wayyyy more base training before he tries for the full Ironman.  
Seeing that he basically have zero base would a coach actually help him or is he just throwing his money away?

He told me that his coach believes he will be able to finish Ironman Canada if he keep working at it. Is the coach not being realistic  to him in fear of losing a customer?

I did some calculations and I really don't think he would be able to finish a full Ironman based on his results.

Looking at his results do you think he even have slim  chance to finish Ironman Canada at all?  Would any kind of training actually get him in shape in 7 months to finish a full ironman? Any suggestions for him?  
Quote Reply
Re: Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months? [gsxrawd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i vote slim chance in 7 months.

wats the rush?

work on swimming or the run or the bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months? [gsxrawd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I tell him he can't will that make him work hard enough so that he can. If so I'll be the fall guy as I don't know him. Short answer is sure, if he gets off his ass and works on it every day. Especially the swim so he can at least bike around for 8/9 hours after. Anyone can do it as long as they quit making excuses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems he really has one main focus. The swim. If he can't make the cut off then it doesn't matter how fast his bike and run are.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is his weight/bodyfat? Is he a chain smoker with breathing problems? If he is a reasonable-sized guy with no breathing issues it is a lot easier to make progress. Gaining endurance is a lot easier than a complete body rebuild.

Obviously he has to make the swim cutoff and after that he has to work on his bike. The walk for the near 17 hour guys is possible without much run training.

If he is serious he should sign up for a HIM and if he is not 7:30 or less there is no way he would finish a full and he would be better saving the hotel/flight costs.

My personal guess is he does not even hit the start line in Canada.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Either way, please keep us posted.

I doubt he starts, and I doubt he succeeds if he does. I am a certified RRCA coach, and would be careful taking this guys as a client with what I know...

Quote | Reply
Yes, of course he can finish. With 7 months to go, he can make it as long as he can make the swim cutoff.

As many have pointed out on this forum before, it is not that difficult to finish an Ironman. However, to race an Ironman is totally different.

Tell your friend you believe in him and truly support him and watch with wonder as your friend pushes aside the mental limits of what he can and cannot do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for swim focus... 14:00 for 400 yards is too slow ... if is was for 400 m that is a 2:32 time for 3800 m. Where do you guys live? I think private coaching for technique plus 4x week masters is his only hope.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 months is plenty of time if all he wants to do is finish. More time training ramping up to longer distance and duration and he should be fine.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Anyone can do it as long as they quit making excuses.

Indeed.

For the OP, 7 months is plenty if all he cares is to finish the course. This being said... Is "just finishing the course" a match for his "really want[ing] to succeed in triathlon?" Not to me, but we are all quite different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He doesn't need a coach he needs a book on basic base training, a hard look at his fitness and goals and a lot of time on the road.

Given those three things combined with a healthy dose of HTFU he could get there.

Unless his little coachy-woachy tells him to buy some fancy electronic devices and get a little massage for his tushy..... then start his taper.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7 months is a long time, the only thing keeping him from finishing is his poor work ethic.

I'd go far as to say you can train some of the most out of shape people and have them finish an IM in 7 months, so long as they fix their poor habits that got them there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll ask the same question that I always ask: Why?

When did we reach the tipping point that an extreme all day endurance event that takes the modestly fit and experienced athlete 11 odd hours to finish, became this normal thing to do? When and how did that happen?

I admire the pluck of these folks, but somewhere we crossed over a line.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 8, 11 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a society overwhelmed by the "noise" of everything that is possible, and where the way to cut through it and/or to impress strangers and neighbors is to do something out of the ordinary, shock people, etc... then "extreme" is an easy answer. What is sad, is that the very act of keeping the "extreme" moniker while making the thing absolutely ordinary (slow finishing times achievable by all). This is something that the society we live in is very adept at doing and dealing with, and that saddens me. Some day, we'll run out of shocking factors or we'll keep digging ourselves deeper into the well. Maybe if everybody had better self esteem and an appreciation for doing things well, then "simply running a 1/2 marathon" wouldn't have to be best by "doing an Ironman?"
Quote Reply
Re: Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:
He doesn't need a coach he needs a book on basic base training, a hard look at his fitness and goals and a lot of time on the road.

Given those three things combined with a healthy dose of HTFU he could get there.

Unless his little coachy-woachy tells him to buy some fancy electronic devices and get a little massage for his tushy..... then start his taper.

Funny Tom,

he does however need a swim coach ... 3-4:00 per 100 yards is very, very, very slow and no amount of HTFU will improve that unless he learns some better technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, he sounds like probably 50% of the people who participate in Ironman-distance races...

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: TriSRV: Feb 8, 11 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months? [TriSRV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is the other 50% who have been keeping me from kona ;0) insert pink

Quote | Reply
I have friends that breast stroke the ENTIRE swim and get the full 140.6 done in 13+ hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I'll ask the same question that I always ask: Why?

When did we reach the tipping point that an extreme all day endurance event that takes the modestly fit and experienced athlete 11 odd hours to finish, became this normal thing to do? When and how did that happen?

I admire the pluck of these folks, but somewhere we crossed over a line.

Because I don't want to be a fat couch potato any more?

12 months ago I decided to lose some weight & started running, when it got cold in winter I started swimming. Seeing as I was running and swimming I decided to give a triathlon a go (Sprint). 1 of these was enough to get me hooked. I've done 2 now and have 3 more planned before the end of the season in April (I'm in NZ).

I'm like a lot of others in this sport in that I have that final goal, I want to be an Ironman. Unlike the OP's friend I plan on taking at least 1 more year before starting training for it (I may train for / do a late season 1/2 next year). I'm only 33 and have plenty of time, when I actually decide it's time completion is not my goal, racing it is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Chicks are like Voltron, the more you can get, the better it is." -Tucker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It definitely isn't impossible. 7 months is plenty of time for somebody who is driven. In 2006 I could barely swim 50m in May, but was able to finish an oly in July, half in August, and full in September....and that was on $100 bike wearing basically a t-shirt and gym shorts. It was REALLY REALLY REALLY slow, but my only goal was to finish....and get closer to the girl I was training with, who is now my wife :)

The thing that worries me is that he has already DNF'd a half, which to me means he didn't take it seriously. If he doesn't work harder for the full, he won't have a different result.
Quote Reply
Re: Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months? [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 - agreed, his 1/2 marathon times are getting worse. If he was serious and driven he could finish it after 7 months but he would have to train v hard and race day would not be a fun day. If he was so driven though then I would expect improvements.
Johan

http://longwaytogo-ironman.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months? [AlphaQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I don't want to be a fat couch potato any more?

12 months ago I decided to lose some weight & started running, when it got cold in winter I started swimming. Seeing as I was running and swimming I decided to give a triathlon a go (Sprint). 1 of these was enough to get me hooked. I've done 2 now and have 3 more planned before the end of the season in April (I'm in NZ).

Congratulations. Well done and welcome aboard.

My comments where not directed at your actions per say. Anyone, deciding to start to lead a more active and healthy lifestyle should be applauded and encouraged as much as we can.

Again, I just wondered where we went from that - to wanting to do an IM in what many would say is way too short of a time period. What's the rush? Take your time. Enjoy the ride and the journey.

Your more graduated approach is the "better" one in my view.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Congratulations. Well done and welcome aboard.

My comments where not directed at your actions per say. Anyone, deciding to start to lead a more active and healthy lifestyle should be applauded and encouraged as much as we can.

Again, I just wondered where we went from that - to wanting to do an IM in what many would say is way too short of a time period. What's the rush? Take your time. Enjoy the ride and the journey.

Your more graduated approach is the "better" one in my view.

Thanks. I didn't start out graduated, I started out gung ho as, till I over trained and hurt myself. Then I did a sprint and realised how much effort that was for a tubby bloke who didn't know how to swim or run.
Now I have a more relaxed view towards it.... and a blog that captures my triathlon style http://swimbikewalk.blogspot.com :)

I really need to add something to that blog, in fact that's what I'm going to do now!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Chicks are like Voltron, the more you can get, the better it is." -Tucker
Quote Reply
Re: Would this person be able to finish an Ironman race that is coming up in 7 months? [Prof Warren] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prof Warren wrote:
Either way, please keep us posted.

I doubt he starts, and I doubt he succeeds if he does. I am a certified RRCA coach, and would be careful taking this guys as a client with what I know...

Update

Ironman Canada is less than a month away and I really doubt that my buddy will finish the race at all.
Here are some of the races that he had competed. What do you think?

June 2011
1/2 Ironman Triathlon in Arizona
swim 1:08
bike 4:10
run 3:44
total time with transition times added in was 9:08. 9hr was the cutoff so I guess he technically did not finish but his name still got into the finisher results. (he blamed the elevation for the poor results, elevation was approx 6500 ft).

May 2011
Olympic distance triathlon
swim 56 minutes
bike 1:48
run 1:09

The thing that bothers me is that his coach is still telling him that he will finish. I wish the coach will just be realistic and tell him to get more base training in before he attempts the full Ironman.

April 2011
Duathlon 3.1 mi run, 24.9 mi bike, 6.2 mi run.

3.1mi run 30 minutes
bike 1:25
6.2mi run 1:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gsxrawd wrote:

The thing that bothers me is that his coach is still telling him that he will finish. I wish the coach will just be realistic and tell him to get more base training in before he attempts the full Ironman.
Yes it's a bit dishonest, but then again, the coach gets financial security by keeping his client's dreams alive. If he says an IM is not realistic, the client might not like it and simply find another coach.

Prev Next