Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would there be any benefit to going to an even lighter less padded shoe than Hoka Clifton for Oly distance and shorter?
Quote | Reply
Ive been training in Bondi 4's and racing in Clifton. I really like the Cliftons but I'm wondering if I'd benefit from an even lighter shoe on the shorter races (less than 70.3)? Anyone gone through this with positive results?
Quote Reply
Re: Would there be any benefit to going to an even lighter less padded shoe than Hoka Clifton for Oly distance and shorter? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should use the lightest weight shoe that has sufficient padding for your distance, speed and biomechanics and body weight. Look at what the Kenyans wear for racing marathons or the 10,000m runners on the track. Not much there. But the answer is "it depends on what you can handle". There is always benefit if you can handle it. My best open marathons were all run in very lightweight racing flats (1-2 min positive split so not like the lack of padding was an issue). I would not dream of doing that today.
Quote Reply
Re: Would there be any benefit to going to an even lighter less padded shoe than Hoka Clifton for Oly distance and shorter? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought the lightest shoes I have ever owned, the Adidas Adizero Takumi Sen 3 Boost. 6.0 oz is listed weight for size 9. Yesterday I did my first run in them. 11.5 miles. They felt great! I was nervous about them being so light, but now after that run, I cannot wait to get out and race in them.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jul 31, 15 9:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure your mechanics has something to do with this as well. I'm fortunate to have a neutral gait, so I've cranked out half Mary's in super light shoes. If you over/under-pronate, you may not be able to pull that off, but I've always tried to race in the lightest shoe possible, knowing also that longer distances, form tends to suffer, which I don't think would be the case for only a 6.2 race.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Last edited by: K-DUB: Jul 31, 15 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Would there be any benefit to going to an even lighter less padded shoe than Hoka Clifton for Oly distance and shorter? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
You should use the lightest weight shoe that has sufficient padding for your distance, speed and biomechanics and body weight. Look at what the Kenyans wear for racing marathons or the 10,000m runners on the track. Not much there. But the answer is "it depends on what you can handle". There is always benefit if you can handle it. My best open marathons were all run in very lightweight racing flats (1-2 min positive split so not like the lack of padding was an issue). I would not dream of doing that today.

I am 6'4" and weigh 210 lbs so not a small person. I have a neutral running gait so I might be able to pull off a less padded shoe. Are there any racing shoes that are superlight yet have a fair amount of padding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Lunaracer.
Quote Reply