Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Worthless Training Advice in USAT's magazine
Quote | Reply
For amusement, I was thumbing through my roomate's USAT magazine (Winter 2010). Now, I didn't expect much but some of the "training advice" is laughable at best. Now, I'm sure there are no advertising agreements with any of the coaching companies publishing the articles in the mag (how do I turn on pink font again)... but is the readership really that incapable of logic?

For example: "I Want More Power" written by Lindsay Hyman (a coach for CTS- I guess they've given up on sports science too)

Lindsay is laying out the benefits of mountain biking in the off season. Great, I love mountain biking and have always used it as a way to ride in the winter, have some fun, and prevent burnout on the bike. But, she is doing so because 'mountain bikers have a more efficient pedal stroke than triathletes'.

Hmmmmmmm, ok, this isn't new data but her comparison is flawed- if triathletes have a pedal stroke with higher peak powers, and you are competeing in a similar event, then perhaps you should try to mimick them rather than a completely seperate athlete. In other words- there is no logical point to having this whole comparison; all it does is show the incompetence of her as a coach. She even states why it is thought that some mtbers produce power differently and it has NOTHING to do with producing 'more power'. Rather, it stems from trying to maintain the traction of the rear wheel on looser terrain.

In my opinion, USA cycling gave up on following sports science a long time ago. Has USAT already done so as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Worthless Training Advice in USAT's magazine [xcmntgeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I had a lengthy reply written that nobody would read, so in interweb fashion I scrapped it and am going to go with just the tl;dr:
Any and all magazines are just giant advertisements/catalogs without prices. I gave up a long time ago trying to extract anything worthwhile from any endurance sport magazine. IMO Bicycling and Runners World are the worst offenders where it is a cycle of the same information presented in different ways with different advertisements worked in.
I'm sorry, you seem to be as disappointed as I am and rightly so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They gave that up a long time ago. I read that stuff for entertainment purposes only.

Then again, this might explain why I am able to win my AG at races despite my lack of talent and training...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard a similar argument, so perhaps the article's author is not correctly describing her use of the term "power".

Mind you, the following has not been personally quantified by a power meter by me as I don't own a power meter, but here it goes.

Of all bicyclists, it is believed that mountain bikers have the smoothest cycling stroke, with the ability to not have large wattage power spikes during the downward motion of the crank arms and not much on the way back up. The reasoning is what you expressed in your post, namely that since they pedal on irregular surfaces which can break the rear tire traction easier than other types of cyclists. This forces a pedaling style which distributes a more even (or smoother) power stroke, and ultimately a stronger, more forceful stroke.

The above argument was used in comparison to a road cyclist only, then a road cyclist used to riding a fixie, then a mountain biker.

Now, as to your argument that USAT's magazine, or the other trade magazines sometimes having less-than-stellar "how-to" articles...I do not comment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I like about that mag. are the bike advertisements. 100% geared towards the the USAT elites IMO...

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Re: Worthless Training Advice in USAT's magazine [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my understanding of the mountain biker/road biker pedal stroke comparison.

Facebook and Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Worthless Training Advice in USAT's magazine [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This forces a pedaling style which distributes a more even (or smoother) power stroke

sure maybe

In Reply To:
, and ultimately a stronger, more forceful stroke.

WHOA THERE!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree, these type mags are useless for any real knowledge gain. As to the article itself, I had to chuckle.. How about looking at the power meters for a better indicator? Try cyclecross a couple times and then tell me about power and pedal stroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the strength training thread has taught me anything it's that only the most knowledgeable coaches get published in magazines like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea a waste of our USAT fees, unless ad dollars are paying for it. I am also a bit put off by the webinars they have and offer to coaches to help meet their 5 USAT CEUs when recertifing. Most of the stuff we already know so why do I have to pay 5X $37 to learn it again.
S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even bother reading any of those articles. I just look at the advertisements to check out new stuff. I also look at the product reviews for the same reason (wait, I already mentioned advertisements). sometimes there is an interesting human interest story.

but the training - mostly crap. but then again, there are a lot of coaches out there whose credibility is questionable, at best (no, not ALL coaches, but a lot of them).

On the other hand, athletes don't want sport science, they want coaching theory. Many athletes can't be bothered with science, so they stick with what the pros do, what fabian rides, and rappstar's nutrition plan. while these things may pan out for the pros, they aren't science. fabian isn't on a cervelo anymore, but i bet he'll still win a thing or two.

USAT (and runner's world, and triathlete, etc) are just providing what the consumer wants,

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: Worthless Training Advice in USAT's magazine [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

USAT ... are just providing what the consumer wants,

This consumer would like a couple bucks knocked off the membership fee and no magazine. The opt out clause.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...and rappstar's nutrition plan...

Every nutrition product I use I started using before I was ever sponsored by the company that makes it. I.e., I am sponsored by FirstEndurance because I use (and used) their products, not vice versa. I just want that to be clear. Now I'm not saying that should in any way impact whether or not people follow my advice - and they certainly ought not to do it blindly - but I do believe there is a difference between my approach to nutrition and what bike any Div I pro cyclist rides, which is a team management decision.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Worthless Training Advice in USAT's magazine [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i simply brought up your nutrition plan because it was covered on the forum here.

i have no issue with your plan, or what you choose to use (and how that relates to sponsorship, or lack of).

my point is simply that your nutrition plan is not necessarily the best. Winning IMC and IMAZ does not PROVE your nutrition plan is the right one(congrats, though) - it simply means that you won and you had a nutrition plan.

If you talked to a Kona champ who ate pop-tarts and drank diet coke, would you switch to that? but they did win Kona (theoretically)...

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait. Pop-Tarts aren't of good nutritional value? They are my staple pre-race breakfast. Hmmmm, maybe thats why I am BOP.
(Sorry to jack the thread...)
Quote Reply
Re: Worthless Training Advice in USAT's magazine [p2k2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This consumer would like a couple bucks knocked off the membership fee and no magazine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
i brought this up at at least one usat town hall meeting and got nowhere. the reasons given for its existence were relative to (their) perceived difference in content and purpose. evidence to the contrary did not prove to be persuasive.
peggy
Quote Reply