Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there...
Quote | Reply
I am struggling to make a decision with when to buy AND what to buy.
When: Buy now or wait till something more appealing comes my way?
What: Buy rim brake Trek SC or disc brake cervelo p series or something else?
What: Disc Brake p series 105 mech or ultegra p series disc. or frameset and build up.

I currently have a disc SL6 Tarmac (and love it).

My thoughts overall:
I want to get a bike now so I can start riding and working on aero position. It would likely mostly be a trainer set up for next 3 months and then when spring comes I will have my fit and aero position down. But, I don't love the options out there for disc brakes in my budget. I would like to only spend $3500 or less, but I might be forced to either get the ultegra version of the p series Cervelo. I don't love the fact that they come with ultegra shifters or brakes. Kinda disappointing actually. However, I get it saves on cost.

I previously had a Trek SC and am thinking of either getting a used SC or possibly a new one. If I get a rim brake bike, than I'd probably consider used first as I know I would probably like to jump to a disc version. I fear that Trek will not be producing a disc version. I wish they would just come out and let everyone know if they are or not.

I know that Argon 18 is a candidate, but I don't have a dealer close. Also, the specialized bike is way too much. I don't understand why they don't have a 3.5k-5k option.

So, do I buy a used rim brake SC and use it for 1-2 years, then jump up to disc, or go disc now and either just get a frame and build it up over the next few months, or just jump in on the ultegra version.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QR has a pretty good sale going on right now. I’ve used the direct-to-consumer method with them and their customer service with getting questions answered and the right parts, paint colors etc has been excellent.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start with a bike fit from an experienced fitter and then shop what’s out there that best suits your coordinates. Might give you a starting point and tell you which bikes to steer away from.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have. I know I fit on the SC and the P-series. I feel like most bikes these days fit most people with the big swing in adjustability for front ends.

Good suggestion though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm contemplating the same questions. Saw the Slowtwitch article about how it's a tri buyer's market but I don't see it when searching bikes. They had a few links to discontinued rim brake bikes in the article, and that's about it... Looking for any current bike on sale hasn't been fruitful. Given my coordinates, I'm pretty limited by which bikes have enough reach. Two of them were just released and won't be discounted for a while (Scott and Orbea) and the other has some discounts but not in my size (XL P3x/Px/P5x). The Orbea is the only bike I would pay full price for, given that the frame is half the price of the Scott and cheaper than the cheapest Px framesets I've found.

Whether it's worth it to you is a function of your budget and what sales you find on the bikes you want. Everyone else will have their opinion.

Personally I go with framesets every time. I'm particular about my saddle, wheels, and crankset (arm length and powermeter preference). So in my case, the frameset makes more sense. If you don't mind some of the stock parts, then you can do the math on price, but assume you'll only get 50% of the part value selling them as a take-offs. There are always steep discounts on groupsets.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
QR has a pretty good sale going on right now. I’ve used the direct-to-consumer method with them and their customer service with getting questions answered and the right parts, paint colors etc has been excellent.

QR has a Kohl's/JCPenny/Rudy feel, imo. Always discounted because the "retail" price is way too high.

The PRsix2 (which look like a P-series level bike to me) with ultegra, shimano throwaway wheels, and FSA cranks is discounted to $7,650. That's just $350 less than the retail price of a P5 or P3x which come with slightly better wheels and Ultegra cranks. At retail price, the QR costs $500 more. I'm surprised QR sells any PRsix bikes at all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are not really wowed by anything then wait. There will always be more/better options next year.

One option is get a really cheap used tri bike (ex. an old aluminum Trek, Cervelo P1, etc.) with a highly adjustable cockpit and set it up as a dedicated trainer bike that you can use to dial in your fit....and keep from corroding your top-end bikes. A dedicated trainer bike also just makes things easier, since you can always just hop on and ride without moving bikes on/off the trainer.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

QR has a Kohl's/JCPenny/Rudy feel, imo. Always discounted because the "retail" price is way too high.

The PRsix2 (which look like a P-series level bike to me) with ultegra, shimano throwaway wheels, and FSA cranks is discounted to $7,650. That's just $350 less than the retail price of a P5 or P3x which come with slightly better wheels and Ultegra cranks. At retail price, the QR costs $500 more. I'm surprised QR sells any PRsix bikes at all

I don’t disagree that the value proposition for some of their bikes isn’t great. But, I would say the same for every bike company. Does any manufacturer give you good value on upgrading wheels or components on a purchase?? My research says no, which is why I now typically buy the lower level frame a manufacturer offers and customize it into a bike that will be cheaper and probably faster than the high end model they offer. I did a lot of research before purchasing. And, my conclusion is that the value of what I got on a new, warrantied, frame painted to the color of my liking, with a rear storage box and top tube storage (which I may not even use but it comes with the purchase), was at or close to the best value you can get in similar bike today. I haven’t ridden the bike yet, so I can’t speak to the frame, but I’m happy with the value and customer service. To each his own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I think is challenging in the current market is that its hard to tell if companies are slowly abandoning the market like we have seen with Cannondale and effectively Specialized give their decision to not sell anything but a super bike. I would put Scott in the same boat give the price points. Giant and Trek are both have good but old tri frames and I can see them moving to UCI legal TT disc frames to support the pro riders and having a halo-level build as the only Tri option.

If this happens it does pinch the market down to Cervelo, Canyon and few of the other smaller players and will make it a much less competitive market. Really if this happens you want to buy now or are really going to get stung in a few years. The alternative reality might be that Trek and Giant decide to really hit back at the Cervelo p-series market when they do launch new disc TT bikes. If this happens I think the used market will explode with great options along side better value in the new market.

I have no idea which way things are going to swing. I fully believed when Specialized launched the disc Shiv a few year back is was only a matter of time until it trickled down to a $3k option because that is always what happens with these sorts of thins. That certainly has not happened though and it may be an indicator of things to come in the TT bike market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

As someone works in the bike biz, my advice would be to buy now. If you wait until spring it is likely that you will not be able to find the bike that you want. Supply chain challenges in the bike industry are real, and lead times do not appear to be improving soon. A 105 disk bike is a super value. If you can lay your hands on one that fits you, buy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a tough choice, as many of the newly announced bikes have delayed delivery a few months. I'd shy away from the QR as they are brutally heavy and as a previous poster said, kind of JCPenney and not terribly comfortable and the only deals are already overpriced bikes in comparison to the field. If you prefer to buy now, in a local shop there are closeout Cervelo P3 depending on the size needed and some with Di2 (25% off). Argon18 E-117 is also a great choice with prices for rim brake, Ultegra around 2650. If you want to go disc, the disc version of the E-119 is a awesome bargain at 2900 or so and has hydro brakes and Ultegra. The new disc E-119 is going to be awesome but not available until likely June at the earliest. P series are ok, but not a fan of the cable disc as that version seems overpriced. Where are you located? I think you'll not see too many deals as the bikes are in such demand that prices are staying high with a few exceptions as shown above. Built bikes are always a better deal, and if you want to shed parts the market is crazy hot for any kind of parts, especially new. Availability has become a very huge issue with parts.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The holdback for me on a TT frame is Di2. The brands that have really clean mechanical setups are all now open mold stuff. Like the PDQ V8 thing. All hidden stuff pretty much.

All the really slick cockpits and frames seem to be Di2. And I can't afford Di2.

So, it is what it is. I won't spend good money to gain nothing over my old frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I am struggling to make a decision with when to buy AND what to buy.
When: Buy now or wait till something more appealing comes my way?
What: Buy rim brake Trek SC or disc brake cervelo p series or something else?
What: Disc Brake p series 105 mech or ultegra p series disc. or frameset and build up.

I currently have a disc SL6 Tarmac (and love it).

My thoughts overall:
I want to get a bike now so I can start riding and working on aero position. It would likely mostly be a trainer set up for next 3 months and then when spring comes I will have my fit and aero position down. But, I don't love the options out there for disc brakes in my budget. I would like to only spend $3500 or less, but I might be forced to either get the ultegra version of the p series Cervelo. I don't love the fact that they come with ultegra shifters or brakes. Kinda disappointing actually. However, I get it saves on cost.

I previously had a Trek SC and am thinking of either getting a used SC or possibly a new one. If I get a rim brake bike, than I'd probably consider used first as I know I would probably like to jump to a disc version. I fear that Trek will not be producing a disc version. I wish they would just come out and let everyone know if they are or not.

I know that Argon 18 is a candidate, but I don't have a dealer close. Also, the specialized bike is way too much. I don't understand why they don't have a 3.5k-5k option.

So, do I buy a used rim brake SC and use it for 1-2 years, then jump up to disc, or go disc now and either just get a frame and build it up over the next few months, or just jump in on the ultegra version.

Thoughts?

Same boat, considering a new bike, not sure what the next year or two holds for Trek (disc brake?) or Felt (new bars/storage??).
One thing for sure is I'd be going discs this time, I've had it with dealing with hidden integrated cable brakes.
The Felt disc is tempting to me, and some of last years disc models marked down. And I know it fits me. Only down side is buying into external storage and not the most adjustable bars, and a little heavier, compared to other bikes. The Argon 119 disc looks nice but not positive on the fit.
QR is always tempting to look at but have read mixed reviews, and whenever I look at pics of them, I can't help but think the frame looks a little anemic compared to others. Thats strictly a personal pref thing though, I'm sure its a great performer.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
The holdback for me on a TT frame is Di2. The brands that have really clean mechanical setups are all now open mold stuff. Like the PDQ V8 thing. All hidden stuff pretty much.

All the really slick cockpits and frames seem to be Di2. And I can't afford Di2.

So, it is what it is. I won't spend good money to gain nothing over my old frame.

I guess that depends on where you live. Here Di2 makes shifting from the basebar a reality and it seems safer and one also uses gears as they should by shifting more. As I loved my frame also 2 years ago I upgraded from mech to Di2 and now can't even think of going back. That said, I did just buy a rim brake model that will have nothing exposed so I'm pretty excited about that. As I said above, any used parts are going quickly at good prices so that defrays the cost a bit.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should buy a Tri-bike now.

And buy another next year :)

Problem solved
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prfive Brutally heavy?

Is there a reason to doubt this info? I’m asking seriously as I don’t know but don’t have any reason to.

http://aerogeeks.com/...o-prfive-first-look/
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
What I think is challenging in the current market is that its hard to tell if companies are slowly abandoning the market like we have seen with Cannondale and effectively Specialized give their decision to not sell anything but a super bike. I would put Scott in the same boat give the price points. Giant and Trek are both have good but old tri frames and I can see them moving to UCI legal TT disc frames to support the pro riders and having a halo-level build as the only Tri option.

If this happens it does pinch the market down to Cervelo, Canyon and few of the other smaller players and will make it a much less competitive market. Really if this happens you want to buy now or are really going to get stung in a few years. The alternative reality might be that Trek and Giant decide to really hit back at the Cervelo p-series market when they do launch new disc TT bikes. If this happens I think the used market will explode with great options along side better value in the new market.

I have no idea which way things are going to swing. I fully believed when Specialized launched the disc Shiv a few year back is was only a matter of time until it trickled down to a $3k option because that is always what happens with these sorts of thins. That certainly has not happened though and it may be an indicator of things to come in the TT bike market.

Good Points. I have felt that the last few years the tri scene was decreasing each year. I've notice a trend here on ST where even the posts have seemed to drop-or at least the ones I would have interest in. I got back into working out and biking again based on the pandemic and I dropped 35 pounds. I bought a new roadie and enjoyed challenging myself.

I actually am considering a used specialized transition and hope to check it out in person this weekend. I did have an offer from my bike shop for a 2019 cervelo p3 with di2 for 4k. But, I don't really want it. I'd rather get the SC used for 2k or the P-Series for 3200.

I really wanted a lower version specialized, but, as we all know they aren't making it. I don't have any interest in the bulky shiv. I guess I'll keep looking for a deal on ebay, or get the p-series if the $600 stimulus gets nixed and increases.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [MrB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrB wrote:

As someone works in the bike biz, my advice would be to buy now. If you wait until spring it is likely that you will not be able to find the bike that you want. Supply chain challenges in the bike industry are real, and lead times do not appear to be improving soon. A 105 disk bike is a super value. If you can lay your hands on one that fits you, buy it.

Buying now is its own challenge. I'm trying to buy a new road bike. I put a deposit on a 2021 in September. No sign of it yet and nobody seems to know if or when it will become available. Started looking around for alternatives and there is almost nothing out there. Supplies of mid-spec, common sizes are almost non-existent.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
MrB wrote:

Buying now is its own challenge. I'm trying to buy a new road bike. I put a deposit on a 2021 in September. No sign of it yet and nobody seems to know if or when it will become available. Started looking around for alternatives and there is almost nothing out there. Supplies of mid-spec, common sizes are almost non-existent.

Seen a few articles that are saying maybe see some relief in 2022.

My question is how will the used market look in 2021? 2022? Will everyone who bought bikes during the lockdowns try to sell them?

This fall I sold a 10 year old 26inch mtn bike for $300 and could of asked more, normally would of sold it for $150 tops.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Dec 24, 20 8:08
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Prfive Brutally heavy?

Is there a reason to doubt this info? I’m asking seriously as I don’t know but don’t have any reason to.

http://aerogeeks.com/...o-prfive-first-look/

i have a lot of current model tri bikes in my workshop. cervelos. QRs. canyons. the QRs are right in line weightwise with the others (and certainly not the heaviest among them). generally, the more surface area, the heavier the bike.

there's going to be a lot of people who're unhappy when they wait until spring of next year and they can't get any tri bike for love or money. people have no idea of the parts squeeze that's going to strangle the supply of bikes next year, and my saying it isn't going to educate them, because i've already said it, and nobody is taking it seriously. not just tri bikes, but all bikes. yes, certainly, bikes will get produced, but toilet paper keeps getting produced too and how has your toilet paper buying experience been?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess it all depends on how much peoples lives go back to where they were pre pandemic, but I think there will be a lot of the more entry level road and gravel bikes available second hand, not Tri.

The Tri scene has split I think, gone are the days of all brands offering models across all price points. The likes of cervelo and canyon will continue as they have such a large part of the market share. Other brands as we have seen are withdrawing except top end models. It's got to a point that you either either pay the big money now for discs with integration, or keep running the rim brakes.

Using Scott as an example, the last gen plasma had the 5 as the superbike and the 4 as the tier down, both released at the same time. Now it's just the 6 in two specs at the top end of pricing. I know Scott aren't as big in North America but pretty big numbers here in Europe.

It must all be to do with sales. I think brands have realised that Tri participation is dwindling, but on the other hand those remaining in the sport will spend more on their bikes, so there is not much market for the lower tier Tri bikes as people at this level will just as readily use an aero road bike with clip ons.

Like the OP I was in two minds but have ended up buying a p3x for next year. This is the most I have ever spent on a bike by some margin, even with the 30% discount, having previously relied on second hand or one or two year old models. Unfortunately the move to discs means this market doesn't exist at the moment. I looked at the orbea but the most popular size, ML, was saying not available until September....
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I've narrowed it down to a final 3 for now.

A. Specialized Transition-I found one close to where I will be this weekend and will be checking it out. Seems to be in pristine condition. Sadly, may not be the right size for me. I'll find out Sunday. I used to own one prior to my Trek SC, and really liked it. So, it will depend on fit.

B. Trek SC. Found a decent one which I can get price dropped to a little under 3k possibly. With Di2 and PM. Pretty good price I think. No wheels (Don't need them).

C. New Cervelo P Series for under 3k 105 edition. Disc version. Thinking of getting it, doing the QR stem cap idea (posted by a member on another thread) to get ride of the cable hanging out. Might slowly upgrade brakes to hydralic (if any benefit) and/or shifters to shimano vs. the one it comes with.

I'll keep you posted...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:

A. Specialized Transition-I found one close to where I will be this weekend and will be checking it out. Seems to be in pristine condition. Sadly, may not be the right size for me. I'll find out Sunday. I used to own one prior to my Trek SC, and really liked it. So, it will depend on fit.

B. Trek SC. Found a decent one which I can get price dropped to a little under 3k possibly. With Di2 and PM. Pretty good price I think. No wheels (Don't need them).

C. New Cervelo P Series for under 3k 105 edition. Disc version. Thinking of getting it, doing the QR stem cap idea (posted by a member on another thread) to get ride of the cable hanging out. Might slowly upgrade brakes to hydralic (if any benefit) and/or shifters to shimano vs. the one it comes with.

I'll keep you posted...

i don't understand the thinking here. the transition and the speed concept are both frames that are 10 years old; still rim brake; at the very end of their life cycles (in fact, past the end). now, when you say transition, i sure hope you mean shiv, because the shiv is the frame design that's 10 years old, and it replaced the transition.

even considering these bikes in the same conversation with the new p series, i don't understand.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

I'll keep you posted...

i don't understand the thinking here. the transition and the speed concept are both frames that are 10 years old; still rim brake; at the very end of their life cycles (in fact, past the end). now, when you say transition, i sure hope you mean shiv, because the shiv is the frame design that's 10 years old, and it replaced the transition.

even considering these bikes in the same conversation with the new p series, i don't understand.

I know, it sounds crazy. BUT, my thinking is that if Specialized or Trek come out with something with disc brakes next year or in 2022 that I might want I don't feel that I overspent now. I don't have a tri bike. I am considering the Cervelo, and realize that getting discs now makes the most sense, but I really do like the trek SC design, just wish it had disc brakes. I feel that it will hold it's value if I get it. The transition is pretty much new, even though it is much older. I don't mind considering it. The choices I listed above aren't in any order, just 3 options. I probably should have put the Cervelo as A.

I totally get what you are saying. I'd probably offer the same advice to someone else, but have had good experiences with each. Plus, I feel like the trek has the most going for it with regard to bottles, and flat kit etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

I bought a Madone in August. Didn't receive it until November
Quote Reply

Prev Next