Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
I just bought a nice SC from here and hope to get it next week. I am excited to be training again and don't mind having this amazing bike to bounce back and forth with over my tarmac. It's one of the most aero bikes out there and I know it will be fast.

Smart choice. The Speed Concept is as fast as any frame out there and will hold it's value better than the Transition which is pretty outdated. Pulled this off of aero weenies:. Combine that with a few different tests out there (can't find them right now) that point to the Speed Concept being faster than the Shiv

Thanks. As I said earlier I really liked the design features of the SC and feel it will be a great bike for at least 2 to 3 years. Maybe than we'll have a better idea of what the market looks like and whether not bikes are being produced and tris still exist.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waiting a year or two might be a good idea, given the changes in progress and coming:
- Bikes might come with new Shimano groupsets (sucks to buy something and 6 months later it's the "old")
- New shimano group set may or may not come with a new hub standard
- Tubeless and hookless might finish their growing pains. Will be more attractive once you can mount most wheel/tire combinations by hand and use a hand pump.
- All the new bikes that are released now might be in stock

I plan to rip the electric/tubeless/disc bandaids all at once next time I am replacing my bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think it’s a ‘bad time’ to buy a bike and with nearly every bit of technology out there one could say: let’s wait a year so because I don’t want to buy ‘old tech’.

Electric cars get updated w minor tweaks all the time and get somewhat ‘better’. TV’s get slimmer and bigger and slightly cheaper. The apple iphone is constantly being updated.

For me I wanted to buy a super bike or super fast bike that my LBS was a dealer for: That meant Scott, Pinaerllo, Parlee and maybe one other brand. I didn’t want to buy a frame or buy a bike and have to take it to my LBS and have that awkward situation for the next 1/2 decade.

Also - for me it takes time to get to really know a bike, and even if it has the same fit coordinates as the old bike or really close to it - it still takes time to get to really ‘know’ a bike.

So of course one can wait and I maybe the bike will be better. I went w the new Scott Plasma 6 which should be in in the next few days and will take my time dialing it in. Then when racing happens in 2021 - I’ll be ready and if it happens in 2022...I’ll be ready as well! And I get to keep the relationship w the local shop just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth buying a Tri-bike now, or wait till next year? Not really wowed by anything and feel value isn't there... [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally i agree that if you wait for the next upgrade, youll be waiting forever. But this is a unique time in the sense that many big changes are happening at the same time.

Most of the newly released bikes have very long lead times, wheels/tires are switching over to new standards, and new Shimano is on the way which could bring a new hub standard. These types of changes dont happen annually. Upgrading in early 2020 vs early 2021 could potentially make a generational difference.

Of course, if you have the cash to upgrade groupsets and wheels as they are released then it doesn't matter, but that's not the case for most people who make these upgrades every 5-10 years.
Quote Reply

Prev Next