Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Worst Swimmer in the Forum Challenge: 2005
Quote | Reply
Okay,

I am out to take away AZTEC'S title to: "Worst Swimmer on the Forum Champion."

Drumroll...

My 100-yard time (in the pool) is: 2:41

(Footnote: That represents my effort at 60%, when I swim for an hour or so. It is not race-pace and it doesn't include warmup, warmdown or intervals/speedwork. Just a continuous swim at a sustainable speed.)

Please be gentle. If you laugh at me, my ego will be hurt even more than it already does after finishing close to last in the swim portion of triathlons.

Can anyone beat this? C'mon, we'll duke it out!

Oleander
Quote Reply
Re: Worst Swimmer in the Forum Challenge: 2005 [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. That is impressive and definitely hard to beat! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel for ya. At 2:41 I'd be on the bottom of pool looking up. The faster you swim, the easier swimming becomes. Keep working at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can make you feel better, as I have been trained to swim with my head out of the water for Swift Water Rescue. I have no clue what my time is, and I don't care. But I can probably say that I am slower than you;)

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad once took 63mins to do the swim in a olympic distance race.(3:48/100yd) In the same race he went 1:10 for the bike and 61mins for the run. He must of been going for even splits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a coach or trainer who is qualified to help you with your stroke? Don't buy zipps or an aero helmet, rather spend your dinero on someone who can help you with your form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I soooo want to take this title.

I never swim more than 200 yd freestyle at a time. I always have to break it up with 50 yd breastroke. There, may I have the title now?

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wish we did this last year (maybe i missed it), because 1 year ago i couldn't even swim 25m. But thanks to training with a swimp3 i learned myself swimming and did a 1.12 in roth.

Yesterday I saw a guy in the pool who swam 50m in about 2.00-2.30. And that was in freestyle with swimfins. He did that for about 40min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This Sunday, I beat you!

I hadn't been in the pool since my last race at the end of August. After warming up, I set out to do just an easy, comfortable 1,000 - reacclimate myself to the water. Looked at my watch at the end of 100 yards: 2:44. I stopped my watch for the rest of the swim - it was too depressing.

Good god, if I get any slower, I'll be going backward.

Just as a footnote, my "normal" 100 is 2:00

Jay

"If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tought." - Jerry Price
Quote Reply
Re: Worst Swimmer in the Forum Challenge: 2005 [ezrahallam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My dad once took 63mins to do the swim in a olympic distance race.(3:48/100yd) In the same race he went 1:10 for the bike and 61mins for the run. He must of been going for even splits.
My uncle was so slow that it took him 38 minutes to do the half hour swim test.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this should be decided by documented race time. I couldn't keep my freestyle at all at the Accenture Chicago Triathlon this year and just ended up looking like a dying animal on my back. And of course my wife was there to take pictures. This is what 24:10 in a half mile sprint swim looks like:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad someone swims slower than me. My first triathlon was a 300 yd. pool swim. My 59 year old mother in-law started :45 behind me and passed me in the pool, but I passed her in T1. My time was around 7:30. My mother in-law has also beat me out of the water in a 750 meter open water swim. I am still one of the worst swimmers, but can now complete 300 in around 6 flat.

My favorites races splits came in 2003: 197/232 swim 1500 meter swim

006/232 bike around 12 mile bike

008/232 run around 5k run

044/232 overall women

I am going to start working with a swim coach and a regular coach next year. I am still a bad swimmer, but have move up to the top 70%.

Quote | Reply
I think we need to test for banned substances here....

by the way, I thought I was the worst swimmer on the forum....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Worst Swimmer in the Forum Challenge: 2005 [justsometriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn...my 750 meter sprint swim time was 22:57...I thought I would be competitive.

I am hiring a coach right after the new year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're on dude. I've never actually timed myself. unfortunately, mine will have to be at 90% effort, because i'm still not able to swim at an 'easy' pace. You should time yourself at a higher effort level too...
Quote Reply
Re: Worst Swimmer in the Forum Challenge: 2005 [justsometriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My last half-mile swim in a race was a 24:08. You were slower than me by just 2 seconds. By that measure, you should win Worst Swimmer here. HOWEVER, unlike you I was uninjured and I swam the crawl, not the backstroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok-I think I got it and it's documented. 18:39 for 500 meter sprint(That's a burning 3:43 100m pace). Lanikai sprint triathlon may 2005. I would just like to thank the academy and of course all of my fans-you make it so worth while.

Mahalo,
Matt
Last edited by: furndog: Dec 14, 05 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Worst Swimmer in the Forum Challenge: 2005 [Nipsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I did my first triathlon this summer and my "swim" time for the 400m pool swim was 12:51 (3:13 100m avg.). I did have the fastest run split in the race though!

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, when I mentioned a swim time on this board earlier this year someone asked me if I was swimming in Jello. Not nice (but funny). I've improved though...although I shouldn't say that as I haven't been in the water in months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading only the first post, I'm pretty sure you win! HAHAHA!

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also want to thank you guys for putting your times up here. It takes balls.

I consider myself a very slow swimmer, but you're making me feel good.

My training buds laugh at me because I'm always in the 2nd slowest lane in the pool, where we do 100 meter repeats on 1:45. It sucks when everyone around you (except you) grew up swimming AND you train at the same pool with Michael Phelps and Anita Nall, who both kick twice as fast as I can swim - with fins and paddles!

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some distinct upsides to being a slow swimmer:

1) Easy to spot bike in T1. Useful for those of us who are half-blind.

2) On bike and run, you pass a lot of people.

3) In spite of #2, the pressure is off because you know your swim will prevent you from placing in your age group. Now you are just out there having fun.

3) Being in the Bunny Lane on the Masters swim team, you get more technique attention from the coach because he figures the slowest people need the most help. (He figures correctly.)

Oleander
Quote Reply
Re: Worst Swimmer in the Forum Challenge: 2005 [furndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I encourage all of you to seriously consider taking private swim lessons, if financially possible -- and CERTAINLY before buying a fancy new bike, powercranks, computrainer, etc. I used to be a pretty bad swimmer, and taking private lessons once a week with a coach has made all the difference in the world for me. I'm still not very good (28-29 minutes for Olympic distance, as compared to 32-33 minutes the season before), but am now able to get out of the water without being in the very back of the pack, and without a highly elevated heart rate to boot.

I'm sure that I could lower my time a ton more by increasing my swimming volume (even during peak training I only swim twice a week, and never more than 2,500 yards at a time), but I have many other interests aside from triathlon. I'm starting my 2006 triathlon season training right after the New Year, and plan on working with my swim coach again to further refine my stroke and hopefully bring my time down some more. Good luck to all of you!

http://achukumba.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: achukumba: Dec 14, 05 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: Worst Swimmer in the Forum Challenge: 2005 [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get passes all the time by the better kickers in the pool. I am not a fast swimmer, 100's on 1.45 but a couple of these guys/girls kick 135-1.45/ 100.

Anyway, this weekend is the 100/100's on 1.30. I'll be in the 75/100 lane myself.

Maybe next year I'll grduate to the 100/100.

Paul

Looking like a color blind super hero!
Damn triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been in the water since September, so I'll have to get back to you on my 100 time. Maybe we could do two "Worst Swimmer" catagories, one for men and one for women. I'd be close I'm sure. I can't quite figure out if I hate swimming because I'm so slow or I'm so slow because I hate swimming...
Quote Reply

Prev Next