Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Workouts at Race Pace
Quote | Reply
Something just struck me while scheduling some workouts....if I were to schedule a workout at my IM run race pace, it wouldn't be terribly effective. ;)

Just seemed rather funny to me that they always say "race pace" for a workout but for some races I have done, my race pace has been embarrassing. I just found it sort of humourous
Quote Reply
Re: Workouts at Race Pace [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm not a coach (or even a smartass), but i think i have an idea

if your IM running race pace is so far below your standalone capabilities, maybe the problem is that you need to spend more time riding at your IM bike race pace. then you won't be as burned out when you get to the marathon. just an idea...

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Re: Workouts at Race Pace [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah I agree with you on that, and this entire winter is dedicated to becoming more efficient on the bike. That and working on my mental game and nutrition.

Only, I wasn't even going fast enough on the bike to get burned out.
Quote Reply
Re: Workouts at Race Pace [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something just struck me while scheduling some workouts....if I were to schedule a workout at my IM run race pace, it wouldn't be terribly effective. ;)

A big LOL on that one...I've thought the same thing looking at my workouts..."build to IM pace (on the run)"...I guess we need to substitute "IM goal pace" for some of those.

For me it has been building towards becoming much more efficient on the bike and nailing nutrition. Every step I make forward on each front there seems to be some sort of side step I take as well that makes me think "well, *that* didn't work!" In Florida it was a sour stomach that hit me about the 50 mile mark on the bike and stayed with me the whole rest of what turned out to be a very long day. Still trying to pinpoint the cause of that...

But getting back on point...sounds like you're on the right track. My goal this winter leading up to AZ is to hit the bike workouts and their goal intensities spot on--no slacking. Looking back leading up to FL, I think I did not work as hard as I thought I was in certain respects. Not saying I need to train more, just train exactly as the workout is designed...if that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Workouts at Race Pace [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, when I think back to my key workouts before LP last year, I know 100% I slacked on a great deal of them. Not really on purpose, but when I am out on the road, I lose focus and start looking around. So I am scheduling a regular computrainer ride all the way through the summer and spring of this coming year just to ensure I am getting some quality in there somewhere.
Well, and learn not to slack it on the road. :)
Quote Reply