Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Workout Report
Quote | Reply
Race reports are pretty standard, but I thought I would post a workout report for something different.

I read Dan's article a few weeks back on some recommended speed workouts for running. Not too different from my general speedwork approach. My bread and butter is 4x1200m and 5x1000m w/ 400m jog between each rep. My best his season was actually a 6x1000m. w/ 600m jog at about 3:24 average.

I was a little bit slower than I liked on a 4x1500m a few weeks ago, so I thought 400m would be in order. I am preparing right now for a 1/2 marathon on Oct 12, followed by my first attempt at the full 26.2 on Oct 26 to end the season.

Dan's recommended workouts were basically say 12x400m w/ 400m jog, or 6 x 800m w/ 800m rest, culminating w/ 3x 1600m w/ 1600m jog

I did the 400ms and it was an okay day, and a tough workout.

3200m warm up in 13:45 feeling nice and relaxed. Stretch and do a few strides. Good conditions 70 and overcast w/ no wind. Started off 80, 80, 79, 82 (oops), 79, 82 (oops), actually not really oops I am feeling a little bit winded. Walk the next 200m and take some sports drink and jog the next 200m. Come back 80, 80, 79, 79. At this point I think about cutting things short. I still feel decent. I did a tough Olympic distance race last Sunday and ran a 39:50 10K on a tough hilly course, although I wanted to be more like 38:30. Maybe I need a little mental toughness, especially if I want to run a marathon in 7 weeks. Then I get the idea or reporting on my workout. This makes me accountable, and gets me going. Finish off with an 80 and then bust out a 76. Finish with a 1600m warmdown for a total of 9 miles. Good to get the legs moving a little bit.

I really think 400s are good for running mechanics and when the rest a short jog it can still be good workout to develop better VO2 max.

Nice finish and I would have felt better better if I did not drink 6 beers last night (oops). I do all my speed work standalone. That is, I do bricks, but never worry about really busting out the run, just a nice steady pace, usually around 7:00 minute miles.

Next speed work will probably be a 4x1600m.

What are you doing to get faster (Or in my case get as fast as you once were). If only you didn't have to bike and swim in a tri it would be easy to stay fast on the run.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply