Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wondering why I did good on my last tri?
Quote | Reply
I did a sprint this weekend (800/18/3) and finished 10 minutes faster than the same race last year. Thing is, I hurt my back a few weeks ago, so I had 2 weeks of absolutely no training. Then the week before the race, I ran 3 times but only for about 15 minutes, biked about twice and no more than an hour and swam once.

So pretty much for the 3 weeks leading up to the race, I didn't do jack. My swim was 3 minutes faster compared to this distance last year, my bike was about 3 mph faster than last year and the other races I've done this year of the same distances and my run was 1:30 faster than the other sprints this year. I've never felt so good coming off the bike onto the run either! It was amazing how good I felt.

It got me wondering what led up to my performance. I hadn't been doing any special training prior to my injury. I figured 2 weeks completely off leading up to my race would've hurt my performance, not help.

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Wondering why I did good on my last tri? [alb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
print it up and sell that training plan! 3 mph faster? Man, my last race, I broke my rule and had a couple of beers the night before and ran faster. Maybe it was because I had to go!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go. It's amazing what rest can accomplish. If you are relatively new to the sport, improvements in your technique may account for gains on the swim and bike. The downside: If the swim was open water, the distances may have varied. Conditions such as heat and wind can also make it hard to compare each year. I wish I could find 10 more minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe that old saying about it's better to be under-trained rather than over-trained is true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You rested, and the amount of rest was way greater than the tiny bit of fitness you may have lost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 My first reaction is you were well rested. You had a good base. You had been there before and knew what you were up against and more comfortable with the setting. Finally...you knew you were up against the injury recovery issue and compensated quite nicely! Well done.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Wondering why I did good on my last tri? [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apologies, but I mistyped. My bike improvement was 1.6 mph improvement over the same course last year, which equaled out to a little over 4 minutes difference. Still though, 4 minutes is 4 minutes and I'm fired up...even though my legs are sore today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CLASSIC STORY. You tapered.

(I'm always overdoing it in the 1-2 weeks before a race--not good. I'm really trying to do less this week.)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply