Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wonder why Hed is not at Kona like Zipp?
Quote | Reply
It seems like they are not around as much in Kona.

wonder why?
Quote Reply
Re: Wonder why Hed is not at Kona like Zipp? [MattBerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Hed is a pure technology company. Zipp is combination of technology and marketing. Clearly Zipp does better job marketing. Having said that who did Lance and Trek call when they needed help with aero designs? Who did ABG call when they needed help with Real Design wheels?

I think Steve Hed is one of the most respected men in the industry...but perhaps not for his marketing acumen.
Quote Reply
Re: Wonder why Hed is not at Kona like Zipp? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who really cares who helped Lance and ABG? I can't think of one Hed product I would *want* to ride over the equivalent Zipp product. Seriously, who would rather ride a Hed disc over a Zipp disc, or a Jet what ever over a 404? Money not being an option of course. I am not saying Hed is a bad company, just that I think Zipp has become the clear leader in the aero wheel field. Just my opinion of course.
Quote Reply
Re: Wonder why Hed is not at Kona like Zipp? [tjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well ya know what they say about opinions and a** holes.

K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And even Lance rides a Zipp disc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go do far as to say that Zipp is a marketing company first, and a technology company second... or more accurataly they use "technology" as marketing. Do you really think 30,00 rpm ceramic bearings or dimples really do anything at the speeds this wheel travels? Zipps are great, solid, reliable, fast wheels. But, the fact that Zipp couldn't find any technology that would actually make the wheel faster didn't stop them from designing in a bunch of stuff that's irrelevant so they can "differentiate" themselves to charge more.

Oh, and yes, I'll take a Hed trispoke over a 404 or any other Zipp front wheel any day.
Quote Reply
Re: Wonder why Hed is not at Kona like Zipp? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the other wheel that Lance normally rides in the front wasn't even really created by Hed. It was bought by Hed from DuPont, if memory serves? I guess they added some carbon to the rim to make a deeper dish version of it, but that seems pretty ingenuous to me.

Not knocking the company really. What they have works. But I'd certainly like to see more innovation from a company that's supposed to be headed by an authority on the subject matter at hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Wonder why Hed is not at Kona like Zipp? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the fact that Zipp discs are significanlty lighter than the Hed disc is relevent. Maybe there isn't much technology involved in that process, but it is a difference. Now that you mention it, I am not relly sure what Hed does as far as technology. Maybe dimples and bearings or what ever don't make a difference, but at least they are trying to improve on their wheels. What has Hed's biggest inovation been over the last 5 or so years? They replaced the aluminum rim on the H3 with a carbon one. Wow, that's really pushing the technology. Not to mention that they constantly tell us they are coming out with a disc that will be in the same ballpark as Zipp and Renn, but yet it never shows up.

TriSpoke over a 808? Sure, what ever works for you. I think it (H3) is a great wheel. I rode it in one IM and didn't like it, but that's just me. It seems to work for a lot of my friends. I am sure Hed is a great company and they do make excellent products, but that doesn't make them a leader in way. That's all I am getting at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And even Lance rides a Zipp disc...
That wasn't a Zipp under Lance this year...Bontrager.

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Re: Wonder why Hed is not at Kona like Zipp? [115InTheShade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which buys its discs from Zipp. :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting a Bontrager sticker on my ass doesn't make my ass a bongrager wheel....

It was a Zipp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And he rode a titanium Trek also...Hahahaha!

Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, that was a Trek time trial bike he raced with in '99! Just ask Herbert ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear what you're saying, but I think there's a grey area between true innovation and innovating for the sake of having a new product to roll out every year or two. I really respect companies that do their homework, put out the best product they can, and leave it alone until they have something that's significantly better. yes, the trispoke design is old, and Hed didn't even invent it- they bought the design. But, it's still one of the fastest wheels available today and I truly respect the fact that they haven't monkeyed with it just to stir up sales a bit. yes, there are lighter wheels out there than the H3 or Hed disk, so I won't use it for a hill climb event but weight is irrelevant for a TT or tri.

As another example (as a proud member of the Cult of Cervelo) look how long the P3 design lasted completely unchanged. The bike just plain kicks ass, and it didn't need some new fairing or widget every year to keep it's place as one of the premier bikes in the industry. That's solid design, and letting the product speak for itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Wonder why Hed is not at Kona like Zipp? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My old HED CX and CX Deep (not jets) are the most dependable race wheels I have owned (okay, they are the only ones I've owned). I have raced them for about 7 years now with no problems other than having to be trued once or twice. They are not the lightest but they get the job done!