Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a history to bandit-ing running races. In benign environments it's not a huge issue from the health side of things. Triathlon has a much higher consequence with regard to what can happen on the bike. Obviously that's a middle of the road approach to the run issue but as a part time RD i'm not worried about the insurance ramifications of a run race bandit as I am with a tri race.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
However if something goes wrong on the course, it could be disastrous for the RD from a liability standpoint.

From most RD's perspective, this is the big one.

If someone get's serious hurt, you never know what they will do after-the-fact. I know of a case, that's working it's way through the courts of just about everyone associated with a race including the RD, being sued by, the family of someone who has since died, but was seriously hurt(quadriplegic) while training on a race course prior to the event. Now you may laugh this off as not having a chance of going through, or the woman's family winning . . but what if it did? Point being, again, you never know what people will do, and the amount of money, would bankrupt and end this otherwise great event!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She kind of looks like a horse :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The author of the blog, the race bandit, is a big sign that "idiocracy" is not just a satirical film and instead is the reality of the American society. There is nothing cute, witty, pretty or even civilized about the person, who smugly makes snarky remarks to those who disapprove of her egotistical and selfish act.

The race director should ban her from the race next year and any other races that he or she holds. And for that matters, I read somewhere that she was from Delaware, so perhaps she should go back there where maybe, just maybe, such behavior is acceptable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve,
I bit and clicked on the blog. Nothing coming up now...she must have pulled it.
No tolerance for turkeys...period.

I recall a friend bragging to me about sneaking into Kona(once) and doing the whole race in the mid-90s. In reality, he is a multiple qualifier then and now.

I still get pissed off thinking about him doing the race, using the products and putting himself in place to use valuable medical resources if, God forbid, he(or others) needed them.

I also saw a pre-race volunteer racing in Lake Placid the day after he performed his volunteer service for me and others. He distinctly was NOT scheduled to race that day and, in fact, told me he was scheduled to race IM Canada later that summer. When I saw him during the marathon portion he waved and said "surprise!".

C'mon.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
She can be banned from all future races put on by this RD.
all that would do is guarantee that she bandits the race every year instead of actually paying the entry.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
Like I said, if you want to bandit a race, just do it. Don't tell me about it, don't brag about it, just do your dirty deed and be done. But when you get on your high horse and act as if you were in the right for doing this because you "tried" to do it the right way, well no sympathy for me.

Exactly. Just do it, don't selfie yourself, don't take anything from the course, veer off course near the finish line so you never cross it, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
However if something goes wrong on the course, it could be disastrous for the RD from a liability standpoint.

From most RD's perspective, this is the big one.

If someone get's serious hurt, you never know what they will do after-the-fact. I know of a case, that's working it's way through the courts of just about everyone associated with a race including the RD, being sued by, the family of someone who has since died, but was seriously hurt(quadriplegic) while training on a race course prior to the event. Now you may laugh this off as not having a chance of going through, or the woman's family winning . . but what if it did? Point being, again, you never know what people will do, and the amount of money, would bankrupt and end this otherwise great event!

That girl gets hurt on the race course - over something the race director has 0 control over - and she will decide to sue the RD (and probably everyone else).

With a registered contestant, the race director can go the insurance from the registration to cover it. Not so with some whack job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clicked the link. read the selfie captions. regret everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a history to bandit-ing running races.

Mark,

Indeed there is. In fact, at one time it was de rigueur to be a bandit at Boston, and very popular to crash the Bay to Breakers. And yes, the chances of serious injury in a running race are lower than in a cycling race or triathlon. But those were simpler times, and, as I pointed out previously, these days if something does seriously go wrong, you never know what people will do legally after-the-fact - as an RD, why open yourself to that risk. Then there is the whole precedent situation, if others see this as happening, the snowball effect kicks in.

Again, as I said right back at the beginning, no RD that I know, takes this lightly! So for those saying, "no big deal" or "just do it", without apology, you are wrong! Next time, you think you want to bandit, ask the RD. Let me know how that goes.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 2, 14 11:29
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would send a statement that the behavior is unacceptable. It may prevent someone else from doing the same thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I don't know if it is still there but she had a rape joke too. Completely classless.

I actually first thought she had written "rap." Had to read it twice and even thought that it might be an error, because it made no sense.

And if you're going to go for a completely classless joke, at least make it funny.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clempson wrote:
clicked the link. read the selfie captions. regret everything.

The St. Bernard photos were the only redeeming thing about the entire blog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't asking the RD kind of miss the point of banditing? lol That's kind of like asking the state trooper if it's okay to speed on the highway. The answer will probably always be no. But there is practically zero harm in a competent driver speeding a little on the highway just like there is practically zero harm in a reasonably experienced athlete banditing a running race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So for those saying, "no big deal" or "just do it", without apology, you are wrong!

_________

Steve my comment about just doing it, has to be in context. I'm not promoting banditing, I guess what I was trying to say. If your going to do it, you are going to do it, me/you/RD saying it's "wrong" isn't going to stop them. But don't shove it in our faces that you "duped" us. So no I'm not saying to bandit races, I was making the comment more along the lines of "just shut up about it". Don't justify it with some cute excuse, after the fact, if you want to bandit a race, just know your cheating the system we all want to use, and thus only creates bigger issues for everyone.

IE the whole "back in the day" stories where it was kinda cool to bandit, but now with silly lawsuits, etc., we have to over protect ourselves to at times ridiculous levels.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if you're going to go for a completely classless joke, at least make it funny.

There is no way to make rape funny.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
If it's a closed course, trespassing comes to mind. Unless the race was free, isn't stealing a consideration. I'm just throwing things out there but it's just annoying how inconsiderate some people are when they decide to bandit.

Most of the time banditing is a relatively harmless issue. However if something goes wrong on the course, it could be disastrous for the RD from a liability standpoint.

She actually makes a comment in a note after the article that it was on public roads justifying what she did so apparently she doesnt understand the idea of a closed course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:

There is no way to make rape funny.

Louis CK made a pretty funny one about Hitler. Don't remember the wording, so I don't want to ruin it.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Tryda33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can she be banned from the internet? That would solve the matter on several levels.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer86: Apr 2, 14 11:52
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [ericM45-49] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a handful of talented comedians who can make pretty much any subject funny.

This lady is not in that group.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fiancé reads a lot of crappy blogs like this. I asked if she read this one, if the answer is yes, things may have to be reexamined....
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, no doubt on either point. I was merely commenting on the "no way to make it funny" part.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

A race doesn't own the roads when they are given a permit to conduct a race.

Ownership of the roads isn't the issue, if the course is closed to the public, which is often the case if the roads or a portion of them (a lane) are closed and marked off. If that's the case, then she has no right to be there and most likely can be ejected.

It's a different matter if the course isn't otherwise closed to the public.

Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [ericM45-49] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. I actually know the Louis CK bit that you are referring to, and it is damned funny.

But if you aren't Louis CK, don't do those jokes. Just don't.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Tryda33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, the biggest issue by far is the insurance liability issue. At the least this narcissistic idiot should be blacklisted from any future races put on by this RD.

Regarding the public road issue, how does it work when Formula 1 races on public roads? Can I drive my sports car out there during the race?

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply

Prev Next