Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Witch Hunts

yes, we had another one today. i didn't see it until near the end, because i'm busy preparing for interbike and the rats escaped from their cages at an inopportune time. however, one person did see it. brand new forum member. he chimed in with his first post, and this is what he had to say:

"What is wrong with all of you? You are sad and sick people who are not worthy of being apart of the tri community. Just take a second and reflect on your actions today. You spent an entire day of your life reprimanding and degrading someone you don't know or understand. Thats a full day of training you wasted, which true ironmen do not do. And it's someone you sought after and attacked. She did not provoke you. Some of you are making disgusting comments on her appearance and performance when most of you haven't even done a full IM. I weep for this country. You people disgust me. My friends didn't die for you cowards. As a veteran of two wars and a competitive triathlete, I hope this poor girl never sees all of this hate and nonsense. What did she ever do to you? So what if her blog is arrogant. It's her blog and she's earned the right to pound her chest. Shame on all of you and this website for encouraging this garbage. Pathetic."

sir, i could not agree with you more. i'm embarrassed to have hosted the comments made on this thread. cbump, JimR, Goosedog, WelshinPhilly, undertheradar, Murphy'sLaw, Borden, mck414, Rattlesnake, you guys really should feel ashamed. my guess is, you don't. travist, you've got some real issues, man.

T-wrecks, bob_nohope, zoom, chapeau to you gents for speaking up against the bullies.

to the gal who was savaged by those named above, i can only say i'm very sorry and embarrassed that this happened on a forum i manage. we have 53,000 users, and i can't vouch for them all. still, the behavior here was shockingly ungentlemanly, at least to the sensibilities of one from an older generation, who was raised with better manners.

for their own sakes, i hope some of them come on this thread and apologize with the same fervor they used in beating up on you. they certainly are not gentlemen, but one hopes for a change of heart after a night's sleep and some reflection.

travis thomason, you know better. you're a USAT honorable mention athlete. you should be an ambassador, not a bully. but if you're going to be a bully... you unleash on a girl? really?

so, to all who unfortunately need to read this, i'm really peeved. i'm down to my last 53,000 forum users, and i know it's going to be hard to live without you, but i swear to god, next one of these, i'm banning every last one of you who participates. i'll ban you at least. lord knows i don't need any more hobbies, but if you want to be a new hobby of mine, beating up a woman who did nothing to invite public ridicule is a very good way.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 11, 12 22:33

Re: Witch Hunts [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Bravo! I know it's not cool these days, but actually having integrity and some kind of fixed morals is actually really nice. The internet didn't change human decency standards, it just made it easier to skirt them.

(wait, did she use Powercranks? If so the bashing was probably deserved)

-Andrew Saar
It is better to do the right thing and be paid poorly,
than to do the wrong thing and be rewarded richly.

wait was this in the let's see your dog thread? I'd string 'em up by the short and curlys.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

Thank you!

I normally love the witch hunts... as in those witch hunts that expose cheaters and other assorted rule benders.

I didn't get what was happening yesterday. The bashing was unsolicited and unwarranted. She posted a very arrogant blog which was tongue-in-cheek if you ask me and a picture of her new M-Dot tattoo. Big deal! What happened was totally uncool.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One

I wrote that her post made me vomit a little. And it did. It was one of the most arrogant things I've ever read. It was getting into the famed "Aleksey Veyner" zone. She wrote something that absolutely deserved ridicule. And I made a joke about what she wrote. If one of my friends started spouting stuff like that I'd say the same to them.

I do apologize for making the joke on ST since she didn't actually post anything here. So I did, in a sense, make the joke in her absence, which certainly is bad form.

I always said Murphy'slaw was a loose cannon. Thats what happens when these lavender room guys tri to mingle in the "realworld" room

Re: Witch Hunts [JimR] [ In reply to ]

JimR wrote:
I wrote that her post made me vomit a little. And it did. It was one of the most arrogant things I've ever read. It was getting into the famed "Aleksey Veyner" zone. She wrote something that absolutely deserved ridicule. And I made a joke about what she wrote. If one of my friends started spouting stuff like that I'd say the same to them.

I do apologize for making the joke on ST since she didn't actually post anything here. So I did, in a sense, make the joke in her absence, which certainly is bad form.

How could you take her blog in anyway but tongue-in-cheek?

Re: Witch Hunts [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]

Maybe it was, but combined with the way she was bragging about her swim results elsewhere on the page it seemed genuine.

The scary part is that, while it was outrageous, it wasn't all that far off of some sentiments I've heard expressed before. Regardless, if it was tongue in cheek then I bow before my new troll overlord. And totally retract my apology.

Edited for typo.
Last edited by: JimR: Sep 12, 12 6:50

Re: Witch Hunts [JimR] [ In reply to ]

In one of her IMNY finish area pics she's wearing a tiara. I'm not saying she doesn't think highly of herself but she's certainly having fun with it all. I think that's evident.

Re: Witch Hunts [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]

Alright, that's actually pretty funny. Reminds me of getting passed by some dude in a tutu at a thanksgiving race a few years back.

Anyway, i certainly have nothing against big egos. I'm sure 99% of this board has one. And if it was tongue in cheek then she beat me.

Re: Witch Hunts [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]

Thats what happens when these lavender room guys tri to mingle in the "realworld" room

Not sure how many people in the real world brag about pissing on themselves... The "real" forum is as twisted as the LR forum - just in a different way.

Re: Witch Hunts [Pedalsaurus-Tex] [ In reply to ]

Get back in ypur room! :0)

but, i have 3 IM finishes (no tats), roll with Zipps and can pee on myself... can't I stay???

Thats what happens when these lavender room guys tri to mingle in the "realworld" room

Murphy'slaw has a total of 9046 posts, 15 of those were made in the LR. Sorry buddy, he's one of you :-)

cbump - Zero LR posts
JimR - Zero LR posts
Goosedog - 234 out of 1237
WelshinPhilly - 319 out of 516
undertheradar - 1 out of 615
Borden - Zero LR Posts
mck414 - 820 out of 2022
Rattlesnake -Zero LR Posts

I've often said that while we have some genuine jerks in the LR, the main forum is just as bad and in some cases far worse. At least in the LR we are generally evenly divided and if someone starts to get piled on by the whole place...well they probably deserve it.

The main forum is *Supposed* to be kind and gentle but just like HS if you get on the bad side of the "Cool Kids" it's anything goes. When you step into the LR you at least know that you're stepping into a war zone and not lulled into thinking you're actually posting on some genteel supportive forum.

~Matt

Re: Witch Hunts [Pedalsaurus-Tex] [ In reply to ]

I am pretty curious what kind of blog post could have caused this thread. Any chance that someone provides a link?

Re: Witch Hunts [MJuric] [ In reply to ]

MJuric wrote:

Murphy'slaw has a total of 9046 posts, 15 of those were made in the LR. Sorry buddy, he's one of you :-)

cbump - Zero LR posts
JimR - Zero LR posts
Goosedog - 234 out of 1237
WelshinPhilly - 319 out of 516
undertheradar - 1 out of 615
Borden - Zero LR Posts
mck414 - 820 out of 2022
Rattlesnake -Zero LR Posts

I've often said that while we have some genuine jerks in the LR, the main forum is just as bad and in some cases far worse. At least in the LR we are generally evenly divided and if someone starts to get piled on by the whole place...well they probably deserve it.

The main forum is *Supposed* to be kind and gentle but just like HS if you get on the bad side of the "Cool Kids" it's anything goes. When you step into the LR you at least know that you're stepping into a war zone and not lulled into thinking you're actually posting on some genteel supportive forum.

~Matt

Hey, wait!! I feel like I'm being witch hunted here!!!

Do I even have ANY LR posts?? How can one even tell?
I honestly don't recall *ever* having been in there (this is not dissimilar to what I'd tell Mrs ML if she accused me of going to a strip club ;-)

Anyway, I don't think what I posted was all that bad. Perhaps my filter is damaged or something.
Joking that somebody should get an M.Dot tattoo on their forehead for maximum visibility is now a banning offense??
(when the person it referred to had already chosen their neck as the actual location for said tat)
Alll righty then.

I'm a sarcastic d-bag. In real life, and on here.
But, moreso on here, because that's my ST persona.

float , hammer , and jog

The LR has nothing to do with the idiotic beatings you guys give yourself in the main forum. The main forum isn't even the real world, it's make believe. Murphy'sLaw never posts in the LR, so you don't know what you're talking about. Besides, whatever happened in this thread was way more than would be tolerated in the LR.

Let me suggest you start apologizing to this girl.

Re: Witch Hunts [KleineGeneraal] [ In reply to ]

"I am pretty curious what kind of blog post could have caused this thread. Any chance that someone provides a link?"

i'm going to jump to the conclusion that you're naive about how things work on internet communities like this. were a link to be provided, the whole thing would start up all over again, along with an analysis of what constitutes cruel and boorish behavior, with the gal in question publicly scrutinized all over again.

i don't believe that everybody who participates in the public nature of the internet is a public figure. i think it's possible to use apps that foster communication while still enjoying a moral (if not legal) right to privacy. i think we all know that. i hope we all know that. but if we don't all know that, we all should know by now that this is the understanding we have here on this forum board. if you want to go flay somebody alive, maybe take it over to letsrun.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Witch Hunts [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]

Do I even have ANY LR posts?? How can one even tell?

I will not share LR secrets on how to tell if you have LR posts or not...suffice it to say that we are watching and we know. You have 15 of them...you are not one of us :-) I for instance have an embarrassingly high 24371 posts of which 20671 have been made in the LR.

I wouldn't bother coming here to insult someone, it might hurt someone's feelings, we just assume anyone in the LR not only has no feelings, but no soul.

~Matt

Re: Witch Hunts [YaHey] [ In reply to ]

So it takes you posting something in the main forum before we can actually agree?

~Matt

Dan, not sure why you decided to single me out to take shots at, likely because I don't hide behind an anonymous user name, but I stand by my opinion in that thread that that individual's attitude is an embarrassment to the sport. Just like my public comments on this forum open me you to your shots or anyone else's, her public blog post stating her superiority over other triathletes, runners or other people in general, that was most definitely not tongue in cheek to anyone who read it, are fair game. Nothing I wrote was over the line other then to express my distaste for that sentiment. If that make me a pariah in your eyes so be it. I find that attitude of superiority in this sport and in life in general to be disgusting.