Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wireless Cadence
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the Vetta v100 is the only cyclometer with wireless cadence? If not what else is out there? For anyone who has used the v100, what did you think?

Neal Dunn
Quote Reply
Re: Wireless Cadence [Neal Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two others that I can think of are the Polar cadence sensor for the S510 and S710/S720 and the new Mavic computer. (http://www.mavic.com/...lg=uk&news.id=70).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the V100 on my tri-bike and the V100A, which adds an altimeter, on my road bike. By far the best computer I have ever owned. So many features! I'm addicted to the altimeter on my road bike. It's awesome knowing exactly how many feet you've climbed, the %grade, etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're using Shimano STI (ie, not bar-ends) the wireless Flitedeck has cadence. It does it without a sensor on your cranks by calculating cadence from speed and gear ratio. Accurate, and very handy to have.

Also provides the nifty information of what cadence you would be in if you were pedaling, but are actually coasting.
Quote Reply
Re: Wireless Cadence [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julian - I wouldn't describe the "cadence" feature on Flitedeck as "accurate". At best its an approximation.

As you rightly point out, it doesn't take coasting into effect. Accordingly, to the extent that your speed is increased/decreased by external factors, you don't get an accurate reading. I'm not sure what value it has in those circumstances (other than as toy).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neal, the cateye cd300dw also has wireless cadence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have the Vetta v100 and had a lot of problems w/ it. It seemed that either the cadence or the speedo was out all the time. It really sucked when the speedo would go out during a race (this happened a couple of times). I now have the Mavic Wintech puter and have had no problems. I really like that it sits on the stem between my aero armrests. It does get a lot of sweat on it here, but I have had no issues. Only about 1,000 miles w/ the mavic so...........

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Julian - I wouldn't describe the "cadence" feature on Flitedeck as "accurate". At best its an approximation.

As you rightly point out, it doesn't take coasting into effect. Accordingly, to the extent that your speed is increased/decreased by external factors, you don't get an accurate reading. I'm not sure what value it has in those circumstances (other than as toy).

Gotta strongly disagree. Yes, you get a reading while coasting. But that number would be accurate if you were pedaling, and yes there are times when that info is a plus so you can drop into a gear that won't have you spun out if you were coasting down a descent and then started to pedal at the bottom.

The cadence reading is accurate as long as you have the correct cassette info set up on the computer. You can set up multiple bikes on the computer so you have the settings for different cassettes if necessary. The only other reason for cadence to be off is if you calibrated your computer for the wrong size tire. Then again, your speed would be off with any computer as well.

I've got both the flight deck and polar cadence and I pretty much get identical readings between the two units.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered the Cateye CD300DW from lickbike.com. $98. I will let you know how it works
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Polar cs200cad has wireless speed and cadence sensors.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply