Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Winter commuting
Quote | Reply
I'm in Chicago and commute to work by MTB. About the only thing I like about it is the stability in snow/ice. Otherwise, it's a tank - not fun on pavement and a bitch to lug up stairs. Thinking about switching to a single speed road/track frame or maybe using a cx bike with a single chain ring. Any thoughts on what set-up might work reasonably well in the winter (on a limited budget)?
Quote Reply
Re: Winter commuting [JeffChi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pick yourself up an older bike, throw some cross tires on it and ride. I have an 80's steel frame Fuji touring that i threw some tires and platform pedals on. I might have $50 total invested, rides great.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Winter commuting [JeffChi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Fisher Montare 29'er for communting. Awesome bike. I love it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Winter commuting [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using an old motobecane frame as a single speed for about 3 weeks now. 15 miles each way commute - I like it a lot. It is only a couple minutes slower. I climb faster with it because I don't want to get bogged down and be overgeared. I can't go downhill as fast though. so far it is better than the slug of a mountain bike I have used in previous years. It did take some monkeying around to get all the parts together, I had to machine down a stem to make it fit the french sized fork, and it takes long reach

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply