Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Winning over French tougher than Tour
Quote | Reply
Some local sports writers do get it right.
-----------
Winning over French tougher than Tour

TOM POWERS

Pioneer Press Columnist

Four years ago at the Sydney Games, Lance Armstrong tried to put into words how important the Olympics are to the American people.

"You can win six Tour de Frances," he said. "But if you don't win at the Olympics they say, 'I thought he was supposed to be a good cyclist.' ''

His emphasis was on the word "six," as if it were the most ridiculous number he could think of. Like somebody was ever going to win the world's most grueling bike race six times.

Flash forward to 2004. Armstrong didn't win a gold medal in Sydney, probably because he was coming off a crash that resulted in a broken bone in his neck. But he is zeroing in on his sixth consecutive Tour de France triumph. And he turned out to be mistaken. His fellow Americans do consider him a pretty good cyclist.

Armstrong is poised to win again, and the French couldn't be more miserable if George Bush himself were peddling a Schwinn through the Pyrenees. Better yet, when Armstrong zooms into the lead, probably Tuesday, he will be passing a fading Frenchman, Thomas Voeckler.

Sacre bleu!

We should be filled with wonderment over Armstrong's accomplishments. Cycling is considered more of a recreational activity than a sport here. But six consecutive Tour de France victories might be the greatest athletic achievement we will ever witness.

Armstrong is the New York Yankees of the 1950s and the Montreal Canadiens of the 1960s rolled into one. Even more impressive, he dominates despite never having the equivalent of a home game. The French were anti-Armstrong well before they became even more preoccupied with being anti-American.

A regular in the European tabloids, Armstrong always seems to be embroiled in some sort of controversy as the big race approaches. The French press shows him no mercy. Last year, while he was winning his fifth Tour de France, his crumbling marriage became fodder for newspaper articles.

This time, Armstrong has to deal with renewed accusations that he uses illegal performance-enhancing drugs. He has heard that before. The French media used to get the spectators so worked up that they would scream "Doper, doper!" all along the race route.

That has abated, but not disappeared, in recent years. Armstrong remains at the forefront of the anti-doping movement. He has been tested repeatedly, and he has a very loud voice in calling for harsh penalties for anyone found cheating.

Last month, a book titled "LA Confidential — the Secrets of Lance Armstrong" popped up. Written in French, it quotes a former masseuse as saying Armstrong used a performance-enhancing drug in 1999.

This was a woman who parted on bad terms with the Armstrong camp after she was fired for what was termed inappropriate behavior. Excerpts from the book appeared in a Paris newspaper just before the start of the competition.

Armstrong is suing. He has hired lawyers in France and the United States. Yet none of this has affected his performance.

At 32, which is old to be racing across 2,108 miles of treacherous terrain, he retains the ability to concentrate fully on the task at hand. He long ago gave up trying to maintain any sort of relationship with the French press.

His biggest fault, of course, is that he is not French. His next problem is that he won't behave according to the French standards of comportment. Armstrong, a cancer survivor, oozes self-confidence and speaks his mind. He is not above telling someone to get lost.

He is even a Texan, just like President Bush! That has to rankle the locals.

Armstrong is accompanied by his new girlfriend, singer Sheryl Crow. She's one of those entertainers who believe that because she has had a couple of hit pop songs, she is an expert in foreign policy. Just another piece of the Lance Armstrong sideshow.

Nothing can derail him en route to his historic victory. And he recently plunged a dagger into the heart of his French critics by announcing that he had changed his mind and, at 33, will return to compete in the 2005 Tour de France.

Take that.
----------------

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply
Re: Winning over French tougher than Tour [minny expat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you call that getting it right?

I'd say that's just an other journalist that would rather gets his facts from Faux News rather than check them...

should I recall

Poll: do you like Lance and would you like him to win the tour a 6th time?

80% yes in France...
Quote Reply
Re: Winning over French tougher than Tour [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we just like to think you French hate us...it gives people a reason to joke...it's all in the stereotype.

------------------------------------------------------------
"One thing I have found there are just two ways to go
It all comes down to livin' fast or dyin' slow"- Robert Earlk Keen Jr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let's correct a few things...

1. he didn't win in sydney because ekimov was faster. period. It wasn't a TT at the end of 3 weeks of racing, and Ekimov hadn't been working his butt of for Lance prior to the TT

2. Most french will be very happy to see him win, but they would like it even more to see GWB (or any politician) going up the pyrenees on a Schwinn...heck, I'd pay for that :-)

3. cycling is a sport. WTF?? if the guy doesn't know better, he should really stfu

4. Sacrebleu (one word)...heck the guy knows one word in French, and it's 17th century french...great. he knows as much french as he knows about cycling

5. "doper, doper" all along? yeah right...Lance himself said, he heard a few (and so did, jaja, virenque -for good reasons though-, indurain and many others)...unless the guy ran with him up to the top...

6. the book was written by a brit (with the help of a french journalist) and was in english (title...duh!). The masseuse was a USPS masseuse and is an aussie... btw, it's the first time I see that she was fired...that's new I guess.

7. most french have no problem accepting people from other culture...clearly this 'journalist' has...

take that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The journalist is a jackass.
Quote Reply
Re: Winning over French tougher than Tour [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the what? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there are more French people that like Lance than advertised. Just because the French press rides him, it doesn't mean all the French people feel the same way. The press in the US often presents the "average citizen's viewpoint" much more differently than what is reality. It sells papers.

It's fine if some French, or Canadian, or Spanish, etc., people don't prefer any particular athlete, or prefer one particular athlete above all others...that's the nature of humans. What isn't fine is when athletes are denigrated and/or abused just because they aren't the "chosen" one(s).

I find Lance to be an intriguing person that I once pronounced to be a Deadman. NO WAY would he survive his advanced cancer, much less ride a bike. I'm amazed at what he has done. I'm impressed with the way he has used his accomplishments to try and help others fight cancer. I love the way he tells people the way he sees things, even if he knows it isn't what the people he is addressing will like to hear. I don't think the brashness is an attractive quality, and he's come a long way from his earlier years, but, it doesn't take anything away from his athletic abilities...plus, my opinion on his comportment isn't particularly germaine to what the man is about overall.

I can still appreciate Hamiliton, Voeckler, Ullrich, Basso, Mayo, Hincapie (in many ways, I think Hincapie is THE man of USPS), etc. I think most cycling fans can appreciate more than one rider at a time, and although it may be true that most Frenchmen don't like Lance as much as I do, it doesn't mean that France hates Lance. Certainly, every cycling fan in the United States doesn't prefer to see Lance win...and that's fine.

Let the writers do what they do, sell papers.

Don't put too much stock in what a writer says about what "the people think" about any particular subject. French-bashing is no more accurate, nor appropriate, than "American"-bashing. But, it is with us to stay, because it's a common human trait...my team is better than your team, my nation is better than your nation, my child's tee-ball team is better than theirs, Southerners are better than Yankees, etc. In the right situation, and any of these people will be on the same side of some imaginary battle line, and they'll be allies, not enemies.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. That's not getting it right. It's lazy journalism based on stereotypes and received "information," not primary source material the author had to work to obtain.

"Peddling" through the Pyrenees? This guy is peddling crap.

Francois wrote:

"6. the book was written by a brit (with the help of a french journalist) and was in english (title...duh!). The masseuse was a USPS masseuse and is an aussie... btw, it's the first time I see that she was fired...that's new I guess."

The book may have been written in English, but it has only been published in French. The masseuse is Irish, not an Aussie.

It's a travesty, and a sham, and a mockery.
Quote Reply
Re: Winning over French tougher than Tour [Travis S. Mock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry for my bad journalism...but hey, it's not my job :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, it was my impression that the French people as a group love Armstrong, but that the press hates him. Am I close to reality.

The French have good taste. For example Mugabe is welcome and wined and dined, but Sharon is personna non grata (sp?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey Francois, what exactly is Sacrebleu supposed to mean? is it an old use expletive or do people really say that?

:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Winning over French tougher than Tour [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh. yea. I just see that Chirac and Sharon made the front page of cnn.com

but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not quite actually. the press has nothing personally against armstrong...

but they want to show how bad cycling is with respect to doping, and because Lance is winning all the time, he is a perfect target...they (essentially Le Monde, L'Equipe, Liberation) with other cyclists...just a bunch of jerks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it's time someone tells chirac that colonial france is over...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about colonial France, but it was intersting to read about a rise in anti-semitism in France.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not really a rise in anti-semitism...the article is way off on this...but there is a clear rise in racism (although racist acts and crimes remain still much lower than in the US...)

The extreme right wing party (front national) has been gaining strength because of france's policy on immigration. Well at least this is what the leaders of this party want people to believe...if I have time I'll explain more tomorrow...tired now...
Quote Reply
Re: Winning over French tougher than Tour [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't vous Francaise, but a friend who does told me that it's a(n impolite) reference to Mary (as in, mother of Jesus, hence the 'bleu').
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly the guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

1) the french LOVE cycling (the SPORT), and they will admire any person (from any country) doing this SPORT (they will admire even more a guy like Lance who is the best at it). Have you ever biked in France ? French are the worst (as in most dangerous) drivers in the world (almost) when you are in a car, but they are so respectful of cyclists on the other hand, and cheer on you when you are riding whereas in other countries they try to run you down at worst, beep at you at best.

2) the journalists in France are trying to sell the most newspapers or magazines, and they believe that talking about doping is the best way (I don't agree with this, although I think it is good that they do this in a way, to put some pressure on the dopers).

3) Like Lance says himself, he gets lots of exposure in the french media, cause he's the biggest tree in the forest. But he gets more press as well for good reasons (wins, great performance in the Pyrrénées stages, ...)

4) I am not french, but close enough to understand what's going on there.

5) Honesty, would people in France give a shit if he's from Texas or Wisconsin ? I doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: Winning over French tougher than Tour [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very well said! I love watching the young voekler giving his all to come back each day; I'm sad to see Hamilton out and Mayo and Jan not doing as expected. It is incredible to watch Basso hang in there with Lance and I was happy to see Lance crush the majority of the field on the climbs. All of it is human interest and there will be favorites. It is an event to watch no matter what country the participants are from. As for the press - negative sells.

Assuming Lance wins (and it ain't over yet!) I hope to be alive and able to appreciate the individual who breaks the record next time, be it 6,7or 8.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you call that getting it right?

I'd say that's just an other journalist that would rather gets his facts from Faux News rather than check them...

should I recall

Poll: do you like Lance and would you like him to win the tour a 6th time?

80% yes in France...

Yeah Yeah Yeah..... ;-)

Heck, I even switched to French pedals....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Winning over French tougher than Tour [Record10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beware, I put on spell on them, they will make your feet stink like stinky french cheese! :-)
Quote Reply