Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wilmington NC roads to ride?
Quote | Reply
I’m staying downtown on N water St later this week.
Thursday I have to ride early before meetings and I’d prefer not to ride my trainer in the hotel room.

The strava heat nap makes it look like 421 heading north is an ok to road ride on.

Can anyone comment or any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Wilmington NC roads to ride? [T.Skelton3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody?

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up, that is gonna require crossing a bridge with steel grating and no bike lane. Highway 421 N dues have a wide paved shoulder but it is not marked as a bike lane. For the first few miles after crossing the bridge, traffic will be very heavy.
Make sure the strava data isn’t all from 70.3 race held in Wilmington. I rarely see anyone ride that section of road.
Quote Reply
Re: Wilmington NC roads to ride? [Kenny Hines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any advice on where to ride?

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What distance are you thinking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected, there is road signs stating it is a bike lane out on 421.
If you can safely get out past the I-140 interchange you will be fine. There are plenty of miles to be had on the other side of that interchange.
Also, Bike Cycles and/or Two Wheeler Dealer may be able to hook you up with a route out of downtown.
Last edited by: Kenny Hines: May 8, 18 17:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton3 wrote:
I’m staying downtown on N water St later this week.
Thursday I have to ride early before meetings and I’d prefer not to ride my trainer in the hotel room.

The strava heat nap makes it look like 421 heading north is an ok to road ride on.

Can anyone comment or any suggestions?

Thanks!!

That’s a good one. I’ve ridden it several times. There is a Tri shop off military cut off who has group rides. Give them a call. I’m sure they can recommend a few others.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last I was there I was in Wrightsville Beach, road into Wilmington and down to Kure Beach and back. Traffic wasn’t horrible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a 90 minute ride with some intervals. Nothing crazy. Would be early Thursday morning.

Also, is the Y the easiest pool To go for a day pass to swim?

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only pools that I know of are the YMCA and YWCA. I swim at the YWCA, day pass is around $10.
Others mention the beachs for your ride, there are plenty of morning riders at Wrightsville Beach. Kinda of a short loop from end to end but safe.
Also, water temp in Banks Channel(at Wrightsville Beach) is mid 60s right now. People are swimming most mornings at sunrise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived downtown for a few years but wasn’t into tri then. Your only way out of town will be across the two bridges. If I had to pick a bridge I would probably cross the north bridge. There is a farmers market/produce stand right up 421 out of town. You may be able to park there if you don’t want to fuss with the traffic getting out of town. I never have, but they have tons of room. I don’t see why it would be an issue.

Tyler

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a local. Either do loops of Lumina Ave on Wrightsville Beach or go down to Carolina Beach over the bridge, park at the Food Lion and ride Dow Road to Ft Fisher and back. Avoid River Rd - even though it has a bike lane, traffic is flying with morning commuters. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get a good route lined up? I’m staying downtown this week and have only ridden around the beach in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Wilmington NC roads to ride? [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode but I wouldn’t call it good. Apparently I rode through a shady area??

I just headed south following river road towards mason pro country club (if you’re looking on a map).

I’m not sure how to easily post a pic from my phone but if you are on strava, find me, thomas skelton IIi. Look at my ride from May 10, 2018.

Nothing special and I rode really early. 4:50am start to avoid traffic. S

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply