Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wilma, Should I stay of should I go?
Quote | Reply
So what do you all think? I'm leaving this afternoon from KY (driving 13 hrs) to head down to Florida for GFT. What's the consensus, will the race go ahead? It says on their site that they're meeting tomorrow morning to discuss. I'd venture a guess that most of the full participants will already be on their way to FL. I suppose the prudent thing to do would be to wait until tomorrow to leave. That's a lot of driving close to the race.

I could drive half way down there, maybe to Macon, GA and then figure out what's going on Thursday morning.

Any Floridians care to comment on how accurate these projections usually are? Should I stay or should I go? arrgh!!!!! I'm guessing even if Clermont isn't in the path of the storm, it will still be ugly though right?
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma, Should I stay of should I go? [kytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm all depends on what happens in the next day or so. Storm might be far enough away for you to race on saturday. Might be some gusty winds but ok other than that. The other issue is that Sommer was quick to pull the plug on a prior (albeit) sprint race this year when the storm was a long way away, and ultimately would have had no affect on the race. I say drive to Macon and evaluate from there.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macon sounds good until more is known. These storms can be unpredictable. I remember in 85 there was a Hurricane named elena (http://www.csc.noaa.gov/...cane/elena/elena.htm )

It seemed to change directions several times. It was coming straight at us, then away, then back to us, then away, then eventually hit near us (I was in Mobile, AL at the time). I have never seen a storm as unpredictable as this, but it taught me that anything is possible. They say to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once they start issuing warnings, watches and evacuations there is NO way that they will have that race. The police will not be available for the course and the roads will be for evacuation, it doesnt look good at this point :((((

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I concur with Jim, drive to Macon and re-assess. It looks as if the eye of the storm per NOAA's recent update targets Vero Beach, which is about 90 miles away from Clermont. My guess, partly uneducated, partly educated by 4 storms last year in our neck of the woods, is that Clermont will be wet and have winds in excess of 20 with higher gusts. I'd still race under those conditions if not cancelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm headed to the airport in a few hours and will fly down today. Recent post by Fred Sommer on the GFT forum is:

As of this morning we have no plans to cancel. If we are forced to react to the weather, the most likely scenario would be that the distances of the full would be shortened to get everyone off the course before darkeness on Saturday. I think the worst weather will arrive Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Fred

Personally, I'd vote to race Friday at the full distance.

See ya there.
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma, Should I stay of should I go? [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a quote from Fred this morning, about 20 minutes ago:

"As of this morning we have no plans to cancel. If we are forced to react to the weather, the most likely scenario would be that the distances of the full would be shortened to get everyone off the course before darkeness on Saturday. I think the worst weather will arrive Saturday night and Sunday morning.
Fred"

Here's my summary of current most accurate models:

NOGAPS: 8pm Saturday it's about 50-75 miles off the coast of Punta Gorda headed north of Okeechobee but still 100 miles south of us. Likely impact...rain bands and 20-40mph winds increasing towards dark.

BAMM: 8pm Sat it's on top of Miami having skirted north of the Keys. Effect on us is minimal, a few showers and typical 20mph October winds.

The other couple of major models have all been less accurate for the last 10 or so hurricanes I've watched. These are updated at 2am/8am/2pm/8pm. For more info:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/203314.shtml?5day
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200524_model.html

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Wilma, Should I stay of should I go? [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's what I'll do. Macon it is.

If they hold the race, I'll be there.

Thanks for the responses.

d
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will cancel if the storm stays on track.......They are already talking about moving the Georgia Tech vs. Miami Game to Friday......This is the LARGEST storm EVER recorded! CAT 5!

YIKES!!!

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heres a link to the latest hurricane track,

http://www.intellicast.com/...mGraphic/hurtrac.gif

Damn what about the Dolphins game this weekend?????

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma, Should I stay of should I go? [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dolphins lose. I hope I haven't ruined it for you. Those bastards always let you down. They never all play at the same time.

RICKY IS BACK!

Quote Reply
Re: Wilma, Should I stay of should I go? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets follow suit with UM and lets race Friday morning. Aid stations (dont take this the wrong way volunteers) and cops...who needs em!?
Quote Reply