Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will new TT specific bikes become a thing of the past?
Quote | Reply
It wasn't long ago that as triathletes we complained that our bikes were made UCI legal, and therefore were perhaps not the ultimate triathlon weapons they could be.

Now (perhaps just because injuries have turned me into a time trialler), it seems to have flipped the other way. When manufacturers release a new non-drafting bike it tends to be a triathlon bike (often UCI illegal) first and foremost. With UCI rules softening maybe it will become academic.

Until that point will the likes of cervelo and felt produce a new TT bike or will they continue to put all the energy in refining there tri bikes where the potential market is greater?

Recently most new TT bikes have tended to come from the more traditional European manufacturers. I guess both the Scott Plasma 5, the New BMC TM01 and the latest Giant have used designs that can turned into UCI legal designs brushing between the needs of both TT'ers and triathletes. The new BMC is particularly interesting and looks like it may be a winner in the low yaw speeds of TT's.
Last edited by: boing: Jun 9, 17 1:33
Quote Reply
Re: Will new TT specific bikes become a thing of the past? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LaPierre, Pinarello, and Cipollini, to name a few, recently came out with bomb-ass new TT bikes...

Of the others you mention Giant made a separate TT bike, and Scott and BMC adapted already fast TT designs to make them bit faster and tri-friendly. Thing is that unless UCI rules change drastically, there isn't much more that can be done with top designs.
Quote Reply
Re: Will new TT specific bikes become a thing of the past? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
It wasn't long ago that as triathletes we complained that our bikes were made UCI legal, and therefore were perhaps not the ultimate triathlon weapons they could be.

Now (perhaps just because injuries have turned me into a time trialler), it seems to have flipped the other way. When manufacturers release a new non-drafting bike it tends to be a triathlon bike (often UCI illegal) first and foremost. With UCI rules softening maybe it will become academic.

Until that point will the likes of cervelo and felt produce a new TT bike or will they continue to put all the energy in refining there tri bikes where the potential market is greater?

Recently most new TT bikes have tended to come from the more traditional European manufacturers. I guess both the Scott Plasma 5, the New BMC TM01 and the latest Giant have used designs that can turned into UCI legal designs brushing between the needs of both TT'ers and triathletes. The new BMC is particularly interesting and looks like it may be a winner in the low yaw speeds of TT's.

While Ever there is an advantage in speed to make a bike outside of UCI TT specs they will exist.
Especially as sales of UCI bikes are a tiny proportion of total time trial type bikes.

As much as I personally really enjoy riding a tri bike, I am coming to the conclusion that maybe UCI rules should be adopted or just make a standard road bike the only thing to ride.
I say this because a fully set up tri bike is just nowhere near as safe to ride on everyday roads and because of the quite radical differences in geometry utilise the muscles in such a different way you need to train on them to ride them well.
I'm now all for just using road bikes in all events so we can all just train and race on one bike and fair better in bike unfriendly riding environments.
Quote Reply