Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meaning, since you appear to not be able to connect dots on your own, that getting people into the city, to the start line, etc is of much more concern.

"We have no way to get you here, but the course is clear!"

Haha. I'm going to let this die now. I hope the race goes off. I know what its like to be fit for a race and things not play out as planned. Never mind a race of this size.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the Website:
ING New York City Marathon Weather Update
Tuesday, 10/30, 10AM: We are currently focused on recovery efforts, and our thoughts go out to all those affected by the storm. Please stay safe - we will update you later in the day as more information becomes available. Please check hurricane-related news for the New York area and your area, and please check this site frequently, as we will be posting updates. Most importantly, please stay safe throughout this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think everyone here would like to see the race happen. Not sure why you are so aggressive. Go for run as I did just now around CP.

Again, the text you quoted is from 3pm yesterday. It's not about the actual course, it's about the logistics around the event.

Let's hope you're right.

Quote | Reply
Con Ed is saying it may be days to restore all power and the MTA is saying transit will come back peicemeal. Not encouraging sounds but I hope it goes off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is wrong with you? A) whatever the race director wants is 100% secondary to getting the city of New York back on its feet. B) I don't think anyone will know the scope of the subway system damage until today or tomorrow. If there is massive damage to the subway, how can there be a race?

I would cancel the race right now, so that people aren't even thinking about it. It's only a marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
What is wrong with you? A) whatever the race director wants is 100% secondary to getting the city of New York back on its feet. B) I don't think anyone will know the scope of the subway system damage until today or tomorrow. If there is massive damage to the subway, how can there be a race?

I would cancel the race right now, so that people aren't even thinking about it. It's only a marathon.

what is wrong with you? the city doesn't die if the subway isn't running as there are things called buses and taxis that work just fine. the subway actually was knocked out around 6 years ago during the morning rush hour when there was an enormous downpour. did the city shutdown? no. people crammed into buses, took taxis, walked, etc. and got to work. the amount of people who need to get to the start of the nycm is nothing compared to the amount of people who commute to work each morning. you also are assuming that the subway won't be up and running in 5 days, which is extremely unlikely.

fortunately, you are not in charge of the nycm and making executive decisions regarding it because the race is going to go on and should not be canceled today.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree....This is the reason I wish ST had a way we could block seeing members post (of our choice). I really get annoyed reading individual aggressive type post like these....that go on and on. Having the ability to block these would make our reading so much more enjoyable.

Michael

uli wrote:
I think everyone here would like to see the race happen. Not sure why you are so aggressive. Go for run as I did just now around CP.

Again, the text you quoted is from 3pm yesterday. It's not about the actual course, it's about the logistics around the event.

Let's hope you're right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
man, NY'er really are high strung
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from ny times:

• 8:33 am
    Andy Newman
    Schools to Stay Closed, Bloomberg Says; Subways Out '4 or 5 Days'
    The New York City subway system will remain shut for “a good four or five days” and schools will remain closed on Wednesday, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said.
    Mr. Bloomberg said he hoped that some bus service would be restored in the city by Tuesday afternoon.
    Share this post on: Twitter Facebook [/url]
Fortunately you are not in charge with making executive decisions given your myopic view of the situation
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [mattreg3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the storm guys...I washed my car the other day :)
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [dietzpa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.nytimes.com/...=tw-nytimes&_r=0

Latest news in short: NYRR moving forward, waiting on city for the call.

Quote | Reply
You need to calm down. We all hope the marathon will go ahead and I'd guess it will, 60/40 maybe, but with a lot of overseas runners missing. The fact first av looks ok to you though is bizarrely myopic. I also live very close to the course and can confirm several sections in northern brooklyn were under water last night - they're dry now but need work. There's a lot of other factors I could see haing an impact even if mass transit and electricity are fixed in time (which sounds like it'll be close at best). Top of my list is staffing - I assume the whole nypd are going to be pulling overtime through the weekend so how many are going to be available to run the race?

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [--] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my comment to my gf last night. Even if they can run the race, do they really have the police, ems etc to run the race when they are driving all over trying to get the city back in shape.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
man, NY'er really are high strung

dude, don't lump the rest of us along with one stereotypicaly high strung, out of perspective New Yorker.

given the damages done in some of the places (which, btw, didn't go full flooding a few years ago), it'll take at least 5 days (how long it took in 1992) to have the subways running.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I did. And you said:

"Here's the latest story:" and the printed the text of the article. Please define "the latest story" for me if it doesn't mean the most recent info. Oh, wait, here's the "latest story":

http://www.stridenation.com/...-nyrr-sandy-new-york

"But Tuesday's press conference by Mayor Michael Bloomberg didn't paint such an positive picture. Many of the city's Subway stations were flooded Monday night, and it could be "four to five days" before the MTA is back in service. Which means there is a chance the Subway will not be functioning by Sunday morning, when some 47,000 runners will rely on it to get them to and from the start and finish lines.
MTA's Joe Lhota also spoke on Tuesday, saying, "This is the worst damage we have ever seen to the MTA system." They won't have a specific timetable until after their "assessment."
Already though, the effects of Sandy are causing issues for the marathon. The race expo is planned to be held in the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, but that sits in a flood zone and NYRR staff have not been able to get inside to begin readying for bib pick-up. Additionally, travel to New York has been heavily impacted, and made near impossible in some cases. There are 20,000 runners coming from international locations, but with nearly 6,000 flights already canceled, many likely will not be able to make it to the start line. "

I hope they can pull it off, it might be good for the city to be distracted from the damage for a few hours this weekend. Just quit being such a defensive jerk about it. The fact remains that the City is heavily damaged and police and emergency personnel are going to be better utilized helping with the aftermath rather than directing traffic for a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will there even be enough volunteers around to put on the race? Have to say if I had evacuated and just getting back, volunteering at the marathon may not be at the top of my list.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who cares about volunteers and course management and emergency personnel. The course didn't sustain any damage so everything else will be fine.....
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just decided to cancel my NY plans and run in 2013. Part of the fun was to bring my kids to NY for their first time. Even if the race is pulled off, the rest of the city will be in recovery mode and certainly not as much fun.

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Snyderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am weighing the same decision.....Not sure it makes sense to make this trip if the city is a complete mess
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
I am weighing the same decision.....Not sure it makes sense to make this trip if the city is a complete mess

Is there any reason to think the midtown/times square area is going to be a mess? It's my understanding this area did not flood or lose power. I think I would still go as long as the race was on, but if restaurants/attractions/etc. are still going to be closed, would probably leave the family behind.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you guys, the thing for me is I "think" I'm holding pretty good form at the moment and I spent two years trying to qualify for the race, finally accomplishing it 2-days before the cut-off. Then in June I fractured my 5th metatarsal - had a delayed union - fought like hell to get back in shape and now here we are at Marathon week. I just don't want to throw it away considering how emotionally invested I am. But I'm with the folks in NYC, if they need time to focus on the recovery - not the marathon - I'm ok staying home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just heard now on the news that NYRRC said the race is on
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Princess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and they already retracted that statement:

http://blogs.wsj.com/...r-on-marathons-fate/

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
and they already retracted that statement:

http://blogs.wsj.com/...r-on-marathons-fate/

I'm really not impressed with the communication from these folks. They have been clogging my e-mail inbox for months trying to sell me junk and giving me bad training advice. Now when I actually want to hear from them, they don't seem to be able to communicate a coherent message about the race. I think the least they could communicate is when they think they'll know with certainty whether it is a go or not.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply

Prev Next