Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:
No one really knows and unfortunately we will only find out at the end of the day on Sunday. The runners will have to find out for themselves how much the public will support them or hate them. Some hatred will evident and inevitable in some form or another (a protest, eggs thrown, boos, disruptions, race blosking) but they will be sadly unfair.

I agree with this. Taking their frustrations out on the runners is patently unfair, IMO. While I personally would not run, I understand those who have paid their cash, done their training and show up to race since the event is going on.

If citizens want to get upset at someone, it should be at the organizers and the NYC government, not the runners.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [javelinguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not really worried about people booing or holding up negative signs. I'm worried that the goodwill and marathon spirit that the NYRR has accrued will be lost for years because of this decision. If you lose the marathon for one year, big deal. If you lose the spirit and enthusiasm for the marathon for ten years, that's a big deal. Imagine if all of the Staten Island officials organize and prevent NYRR from starting in Staten Island next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [--] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. it's a logical assumption that staffing the marathon will require emergency workers who would otherwise be working on the aftermath of Sandy but that's not been established as far as I can tell. I ran a chunk of the marathon route today and there were more cops managing the traffic than there typically are on the same sections managing runners on race day. It's also, to my surprise, simply not the case that every member of the NYPD and fire department have been working flat out since Sandy - there is and will be, we're told, capacity. On that note is anyone in Jersey complaining about the cops that'll be staffing the Meadowlands this weekend?

The obvious rebuttal is if there are emergency responders sitting around, why? Why is their looting? It sounds like some looters are being caught, certainly not all, but why not deploy more feet on the street to prevent more occurences? IS there really nothing that these folks can be doing? I find that extremely hard to believe. Whether its patrol watches, working at shelters, assistance with search and rescue, controlling traffic so that essentials can quickly brought in and debris quickly brought out, I find it incredibly hard to believe that they cannot be utilized somewhere, somehow.

And I also think football should be postponed.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Cancel the marathon. If I were doing it, I would feel very selfish about taking water or food on the course that might better have been served to someone who desperately needs it. Not to mention the generators that could be much more useful helping someone else out.

Just my $.02
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:

And I also think football should be postponed.

Agreed....or moved to a neutral location. Philly would be the obvious choice since the Eagles are away this week (and playing Monday night).

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [jamesgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It concerns me now that you live there and feel it should be cancelled.

If it's a go, I hope you have a good race. Make the best of it!
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was just posted on the Times website:

Sanitation Workers Complain of Marathon Duty
Some New York City sanitation workers who have expressed a desire to work on Staten Island and in Queens neighborhoods hit hard by Hurricane Sandy are complaining to their union about being assigned instead to clean up after the New York City Marathon, the union president said on Friday.
The workers have called their shop stewards to complain, according to the union president, Harry Nespoli, who heads Local 831 of the Uniformed Sanitationmen’s Association. The union represents the 6,200 workers at the Department of Sanitation.
“Many of our workers have similar problems that these other people have,” Mr. Nespoli said, referring to the New Yorkers whose homes have been damaged or destroyed by the storm. “They have no lights, they have water in the basement, but they’re coming to work and doing their jobs.”
“They just feel, ‘Why are they doing the marathon when they can be helping other people?’” he said. “They feel we should be focusing on this particular part of the cleanup and not the marathon.”
Mr. Nespoli said he understood “it’s a tough call,” but he said that he, like the members of his union, believed that the residents of the Rockaways, Staten Island and other neighborhoods in distress deserved priority when it came to the use of city resources.
“I know this administration is looking to show the public that they can perform,” he said. “The thing is, I’ve been out and the mayor’s been out there, too, and I see that people are hurting out there.”
Mr. Nespoli said he expected that his union members, who have been working 12-hour shifts since the storm hit, to follow orders and carry out their assignments.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is absolutely no way this isn't a drain on resources. I understand the garbage is piling up like crazy in Staten Island. Will all of this garbage be removed before Sunday? Food and water are still not there, so start packing up police cruisers and driving it there, non-stop shifts back and forth. I don't understand why this isn't an all hands on deck situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Hot Tamales] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hot Tamales wrote:

Cancel the marathon. If I were doing it, I would feel very selfish about taking water or food on the course that might better have been served to someone who desperately needs it. Not to mention the generators that could be much more useful helping someone else out.

Just my $.02

This food point is bizzarre. NYC is awash in food and water. They're everywhere. Supermarkets are full of them, restaurants are delivering them. There is no shortage city wide. There is, probably, a shortage in the most badly affected areas but that's an issue of delivery. There's not much that a volunteer gatorade passer or a just flown in from Germany marathoner can do about that.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cancelling football is not the same, and is really unnecessary. While there was some very bad flooding in the immediate vicinity of Giants Stadium, the stadium is generally very far away from disaster areas. the stadium is a much smaller venue compared to the marathon. the number of police that typically staff one of those events is around 100 and can and probably will be reduced. A game causes a traffic problem for 2 hours in a small area (not 10 hours in a large area)
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [jamesgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jamesgoldstein wrote:
This was just posted on the Times website:

Sanitation Workers Complain of Marathon Duty
Some New York City sanitation workers who have expressed a desire to work on Staten Island and in Queens neighborhoods hit hard by Hurricane Sandy are complaining to their union about being assigned instead to clean up after the New York City Marathon, the union president said on Friday.
The workers have called their shop stewards to complain, according to the union president, Harry Nespoli, who heads Local 831 of the Uniformed Sanitationmen’s Association. The union represents the 6,200 workers at the Department of Sanitation.
“Many of our workers have similar problems that these other people have,” Mr. Nespoli said, referring to the New Yorkers whose homes have been damaged or destroyed by the storm. “They have no lights, they have water in the basement, but they’re coming to work and doing their jobs.”
“They just feel, ‘Why are they doing the marathon when they can be helping other people?’” he said. “They feel we should be focusing on this particular part of the cleanup and not the marathon.”
Mr. Nespoli said he understood “it’s a tough call,” but he said that he, like the members of his union, believed that the residents of the Rockaways, Staten Island and other neighborhoods in distress deserved priority when it came to the use of city resources.
“I know this administration is looking to show the public that they can perform,” he said. “The thing is, I’ve been out and the mayor’s been out there, too, and I see that people are hurting out there.”
Mr. Nespoli said he expected that his union members, who have been working 12-hour shifts since the storm hit, to follow orders and carry out their assignments.

OK, many more stories like that and I may change my mind.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [--] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-- wrote:
Hot Tamales wrote:

Just my $.02

This food point is bizzarre. NYC is awash in food and water. They're everywhere. Supermarkets are full of them, restaurants are delivering them. There is no shortage city wide. There is, probably, a shortage in the most badly affected areas but that's an issue of delivery. There's not much that a volunteer gatorade passer or a just flown in from Germany marathoner can do about that.

Maybe they could take the resources used to shut down the streets for the marathon and shut down the delivery routes for food and water to get to these places. Perhaps this has been done, but there seem to be an awful lot of desperate people in Staten Island.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a problem. There's got to be a creative answer.

Makes me pause. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [aloys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYC is not awash in food, sorry but that is flat out wrong.
There are 2 huge supermarkets that I shop at in Brooklyn, Fairway and Path Mark, and they are both still closed due to flooding, no I am not starving as there are other smaller stores that are open but you are totally mistaken in that statement.
There are lots of high rise buildings in lower Manhattan that have no running water, no power, no way for the elderly to get up or down to buy food nor anywhere to store food without a working refrigerator, I doubt they will agree that "NYC is awash in food".

As for football, as other have mentioned it isn't the same at all, I don't think anyone has a problem with the game on Sunday.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Last edited by: trener1: Nov 2, 12 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [G$] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G$ wrote:
At this point, with all the vitriol on facebook and people calling for disruption of the race, what are the chances that racers are even able to complete the race? ...well, at least without having to circumvent some sit-in or "occupy the NYC marathon" bs?

Wow. I just went to the NYCM Facebook page for the first time. Holy Moly is there nothing but hatred directed at Wittenberg/NYRR/Bloomberg Administration over their decision.

Hopefully NYRR wises up and stop posting any of their propaganda on their page as it is only met with more negative comments.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly would not support any harm coming to runners or others disruptions of the race in protest. To me if you have time to protest a race, you have time to volunteer somewhere. That being said, whatever ugliness might ensue is 100% on the Mayor and NYRR. It all could have been avoided.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [javelinguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
javelinguy wrote:
While I am in favor of a cancellation/postponement of the marathon, since it is going to happen, has anyone thought now about the safety of those who do particpate in the race?

I have, but possibly not as much as I should. I've stayed away from the NYRR Facebook page and the NY Post...

I live in Brooklyn and I will be running. I went to work today for the first time post Sandy and talked to a lot of people about the marathon. These are people who live in New Jersey, Long Island, Staten Island, and even The Rockaways. People whose basements and houses were flooded. People who lost a car. Or two. Who still don't have electricity. Who can't buy gasoline.

About half thought it should have been cancelled, but almost all thought that since it wasn't, i should run it.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [CellWall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has made to the Yahoo home page.

http://sports.yahoo.com/...hould-not-go-on.html
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This notion that you can just pickup a generator and magically power up 400 homes is all media bullshit. You CAN'T just up and do that... In order to distribute power safely on a scale that large requires potentially more work and effort than it would take to restore the original power grid (depending on the scope of the damage). You can't just tap it into a telephone pole and magically power up everything. If you could don't you think they would? If you can't use existing wiring you then have to run individual lines from the generator to every single house you want to power. On top of that you have to keep people away from this very dangerous wire, keep it out of water and away from other hazards, off of driveways, streets, sidewalks...etc...etc...etc.... So yes... its easy to enrage people with a picture of a big generator, but its bullshit to think you can just move it someplace and fix everything.

(this is not directed at you personally, but at the author of that article and the news media)
(No, I do not work for the electic company, but have extensive experience with power distribution for special events and use these types of generators regularly)
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Nickwisdom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does a generator run on?

What is in very short supply right now in NY / NJ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diesel.... and probably less of it than you think.

I will again state that I'm not defending NYRR or the City of NY's decision to hold the race. I personally think it was a bad call. But the media repeatedly portraying that you can just move those generators to magically power up city blocks and towns is plain old incorrect information.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Twitter:

Andrew Kaczynski ‏@BuzzFeedAndrew
RT @weeddude A New York official tells @CNN that meetings have been on-going this afternoon as to whether or not to cancel the NYC marathon
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Nickwisdom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could those generators be put somewhere to power a shelter for displaced people?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
While I personally would not run, I understand those who have paid their cash, done their training and show up to race since the event is going on.

I pretty much agree.

I've been looking forward to this race for 4 years. I'm out a significant chunk of money for airfare and hotel rooms and I'm not going. Due to my job I have the ability to get back there regardless of whether the flights are full (I'm a pilot) but there are other pilots who either live in the NYC area and are trying to get home or have family there they're trying to help. It wouldn't be responsible. Same goes for those traveling for overseas.

Yup it annoys me that I peaked and tapered for a race that's not being held but things could be worse, I'm alive to be annoyed over such a small matter (not being able to run a race). Others were not so fortunate.

I'll be running the Queen K this Sunday instead. Going to do a 1/2 (why beat the crap out of myself when i don't have to). There's always next year (and given how I feel about the NYRR decision on the race it's likely they'll hold the 2013 race without me) if you cancel even at this late date.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Word.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply

Prev Next