Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will Powertap Pro prices drop due to Powertap SL release?
Quote | Reply
Will Powertap Pro prices drop due to Powertap SL release? Just wondering when to buy. I think the Pro will fit my needs and I don't necessarily need the SL.

Quote | Reply
Nope. If budget's an issue, look for a used one. There will surely be weight weenies selling their old ones to get the new SL.

Here's the rub, though... until now, they've all been only for Shimano. I mean c'mon, who runs Shimano? :-) So, with the older version, you'd need the Wheels Manufacturing cassette, which tacks on another $140 or so. Might as well get the new one.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Powertap Pro prices drop due to Powertap SL release? [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the price will drop. I think that the price for the PT Pro (cost me about $720 at Performancebike.com with 20% web coupon, and 10% team performance discount) is worth it. I've found that the PT works flawlessly!

I've started some webpages on the PowerTap you might find interesting if you are considering buying one... http://www.angelfire.com/.../355_rider/power.htm

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Powertap Pro prices drop due to Powertap SL release? [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why are you still running the cycle-computer? Tad redundant isn't it?
Quote Reply
Re: Will Powertap Pro prices drop due to Powertap SL release? [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps he needs the computer for RPM. This way, my friend Goodtime can correlate wattage, with speed, RPM, heart rate and perceived exertion...with all that data, I'd bonk just analyzing the data at mile 110 on the bike course at Ironman Lake Placid as you come up Papa Bear :-). Than again, I bonk without the data !
Quote Reply
Re: Will Powertap Pro prices drop due to Powertap SL release? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The powertap does collect speed and cadence data, although the cadence is interpolated it seems to be accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Powertap Pro prices drop due to Powertap SL release? [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. The pro version (shown) measures cadence directly unless the owner chooses to use the calculated cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Powertap Pro prices drop due to Powertap SL release? [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote: "Here's the rub, though... until now, they've all been only for Shimano. I mean c'mon, who runs Shimano? :-) So, with the older version, you'd need the Wheels Manufacturing cassette, which tacks on another $140 or so. Might as well get the new one."

Aztec,

The other part you left out was that with a "converted" Power Tap Pro for a Campy bike, you still cannot use the smallest cog on your cassette.

So you might as well wait and get the Pro SL with a Campy hub and then you can use all your Campy cassettes instead of buying Wheels or American Classic cassettes and not be able to use the smallest cog on any of those cassettes.

It may cost more in the beginning, but in the long run it will probably cost less, a lot less.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Powertap Pro prices drop due to Powertap SL release? [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wants2,

Are you sure about that? I'm one of the suckers who didn't pay attention and bought it (only to figure out later that the conversion required the spendy Wheels Manuf cassette, not a cheapo adapter). I run their 11-27, and am actually in the 11 now and then without issue. Well, not entirely without issue... every time I use it I think of the extra dosh it took to get it on there.

Maybe you are referring to the fact that you HAVE to use an 11 tooth smallest cog? I can't recall the reason, but ALL Campy hubs using a PT converted via the Wheels Manuf cassette need to start w/ an 11t.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Powertap Pro prices drop due to Powertap SL release? [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The powertap does collect speed and cadence data, although the cadence is interpolated it seems to be accurate."

What do you mean by interpolated? I ask because the powertap units have a cadence pickup (as goodtime has so graciously demonstrated in this photo at the bottom of the page).

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Will Powertap Pro prices drop due to Powertap SL release? [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AJHull,

Why wouldn't you expect that the Power Tap Pro to be discontinued and replaced with the Power Tap Pro SL?

They have probably discontinued manufacture of the Power Tap Pro already and the only ones remaining are the ones left in stock, i.e. supply chain.

The "new" SL has a redesigned hub. One of the ways to recover the cost of the redesign would be to discontinue manufacture of older designs forcing consumers to invest in the "new" technology and eliminate the costs of two manufacturing processes.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Powertap Pro prices drop due to Powertap SL release? [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting perspective but that would mean they would also drop the entry level standard PowerTap which would be a bad move IMHO.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply