Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will Dave return to Kona?
Quote | Reply
Guess I don't have to say which Dave huh?:)

Maybe it was the "Favorite pros" thread or a few of the posts on an IMH thread regarding Dave Scott, but it made me think about whether or not Dave will ever return to the starting line out there.

First, two points..

1. He doesn't need to prove anything anymore.

2. I imagine his life is very busy with family and other obligations.

but....

I wonder if he, knowing how that race has defined his life, can finish off that brilliant career with a DNF.

Given his state of preparation in 2001 (take a look at the video of the T1 transition and he looks as fit as any 47 year old ever), I thought he was a lock for the Top 10 and, given his running ability on that course, maybe better than that.

Like so many others I had been a long time fan and, as a lottery pick in 2001, I was hoping to see him coming down from Hawi as I was struggling up in that wind, maybe catching some inspiration as The Man went by. Alas, it wasn't to be.

Being the athlete he is, I'm sure he has replayed that day a number of times and he did write about it in an honest "Inside Triathlon" article a few months later. Self-imposed pressure, bike fit problems, and perhaps the race conditions all apparently led to his decision that day.

He doesn't owe it to me or anyone else, but I can't help but hope he does take a last shot at it...he'll turn 50 next January and maybe the 2004 race will prove to be irresistible...can a 50 year old go 8:50 in Kona? I wouldn't bet against him. In fact, to heck with any expectation...I'd just like to see "the man who never walks" cross the line one more time.

Best to all,

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Will Dave return to Kona? [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, aka the Man, is a super guy. I have been lucky enough to meet him a number of times over the last 20 years.

At IMC last year he said he doesn't want to end IMH w/ a DNF and that he wants to give it another real shot b/f he turns 50. Since this is the last year b/f he turns 50, I'd look for him to be in Kona.

Note, he did have some knee surgery last year; so, I suppose a lot depends on his health. I would bet against him.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, for what it's worth I'd love to see the guy race again. It brings back such awesome images of the Scott/Allen duels. Does anyone remember that article in Outside magazine (I think... maybe Triathlete) called "BLOWUP"? That was so cool.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often wonder the same thing about Dave coming back.

If I remember correctly, when he came back in 2001, he mentioned that it would be interesting to see what he could do as a 50 year old in Hawaii, but that he didn't want to wait that long.

In an odd way, maybe the DNF will actually help to take some of that self-imposed pressure off him that he says he felt in 2001... like this time it will be for him and not the public or the press, etc.

Dave has always been my favorite athlete. I have followed him closely through magazines, TV, internet, and (perhaps the best insight into Dave) the book IRON WILL by Mike Plant. I can't imagine him letting that DNF be the last word in Kona.

Also, I missed the article that Tom D. was talking about... it wasn't "Ironwar" in Triathlete Magazine, was it?
Quote Reply
Re: Will Dave return to Kona? [toj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amateur historian (pack-rat) that I am I have all that 1989 print coverage in a box around here, including Kenny Moore's article on the race for Sports Illustrated. I'm no Lew Kidder, but I even have the first issue of Triathlon (ete) Magazine with Dave's October 1982 win on the cover. along with a batch of old Triathlon Today's and the glossy Plant Report newsletter. What can I say? I've liked the sport for a lllooonnnnggg time!:) My video library starts with about 40 minutes of a Bruce Dern narrated look at the Feb. 1982 race that wasn't part of the ABC coverage. I'm missing the 1983-86 coverage but have everything since the great Dave-runs-Mark down 1987 race. They covered the race back then.

Just BTW, I have the original but I'd like to get my hands on a copy of the updated Iron Will. Mike Plant did a good job with the PR on the restarted USTS series (thank you Dan...) and I was glad to see it brought him back into the sport. If it hadn't been for Ken MacKenzie's unfortunate hubris, he still might be around. (Ah...but that's another thread...)

Best,

Mark

(Who willl now geekingly admit that I was such a big Dave fan that I wore the same Insport signature clothing line he had on at Kona 1989 at the 1990 Boston Marathon...and it wasn't easy to find!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I thought I was a big Dave geek... uh, I mean fan... but you're giving me a run for my money now.

How do you feel about arranging a copy of the 1987 Ironman? Give me an email off-line and maybe we can work something out. My address is doolittle12@usachoice.net or rdoolittle@clarion-limestoneschool.com. Maybe we can come up with a swap or something.

Thanks!

Ray
Quote Reply