Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wildflower raising entry fee!!!!
Quote | Reply
I just checked the Tri-California page and the entry fee for next years Wildflower long course is $185!!! I checked my bank statement and I paid $155 for this years race. WHAT THE FUCK??????

Why are they raising the entry fee so much? Because for the last two years the logistics of that race has been the biggest cluster f@#%k I have ever experimented in any race. The fact that at the end of the day you have to wait for 2 hours, standing, for a bus to take you to your parking lot OR walk your bike and gear for 1.5 miles up Lynch Hill. Plus at the finish line there was nothing but water, no gatorade, bananas, gel, nothing.

Try doing this event with wife and children and they are up for a one hell of a miserable day.

I am assuming that since they are raising the entry fee these logistics problems will be solved making it easy for athletes and spectators.

This event is mostly run on student volunteers from Cal Poly so it would be good to know where is this raise in entry fee's going to. I know it is a fun race on an awesome course but it would really tick me off to think that the raise in fees is so the race director can take advantage of the popularity of the race to milk the athletes as much as he can.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was $175 when I did it in 2003. Huh... Well, I just paid $200 for Vineman, so $185 seems like a pretty good deal. Why do I do this sport again???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why raising the entry fees?

try this: because they still find enough people to pay for it and fill up the race. simple. offer - demand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And don't forget the camping and car entrance fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure it was $175 for the long course race this year. It was $245 I believe for the race and 2 nights camping. I can check with my team and ask them (they paid for it). Not sure why thre was no food for you at the finish, they may have been restocking. I finished just before the cut off (10 minutes before) and there was water, gatorade, bananas and powerbar pieces.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To extend Francois post, the better question is why is the race not $250? Is there any doubt that it would still sell out?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well, I just paid $200 for Vineman, so $185 seems like a pretty good deal. Why do I do this sport again???

Vineman entry is $190 ... sorry to be picky ;)

For comparison sake: (structure of entry fee's based on entry dates)

vineman half -- $190/$200/$210 - half caliman -- $175/$200/$225 - Auburn Internation -- $190/$205/$220 - Wildflower $185/$205/$225 ... each races logistics are different as are peoples preferences

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [trifaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Vineman entry is $190 ... sorry to be picky ;) "

If you register online, it's $201.65 - Active.com charges included.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [trifaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> vineman half -- $190/$200/$210 - half caliman -- $175/$200/$225 - Auburn Internation -- $190/$205/$220 - Wildflower $185/$205/$225

For further comparison the Cutting Edge 1/2 IM in Illinois was $95. The event was well run but simple. Back to basics type event. They even had a little prize money, $1000 for the winner I think.

http://www.cuttingedgeevents.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11 bucks is ridiculous for a service charge, who do they think they are, ticketmaster?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [shizno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or pay $.37 and mail it in.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the going rate in Cali for a 1/2 IM is in the $200 vicinity. World's Toughest, which is a 3 year old race is in that range and that race is organized by an ex-pro triathlete, you would think he would understand. Compare that to $125 for the Great Floridian half which is an absolutely kick ass race.

I am pretty sure Wildlflower charged $155 this year because that is what I have in my bank statement for December 2003.

I guess my beef is with this trend of races milking athletes for as much money as they can. When I started this sport I really don't remember races being about making money. Obviously Francois is right, as long as there is demand prices will keep on going up and we all know that California is not hurting for rich triathletes. But still, am I the only one that thinks that it is ethically wrong to keep on raising fees when you are offering the same thing and your costs probably have not gone up. This is triathlon not car sales!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys should come up and do a canadian race. $165 for the Sylvan Lake Half Ironman in Alberta Canada. Thats about $138 US. What a steal.

mark@waypastfast.com
http://www.waypastfast.com

WAY PAST FAST

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The World's Toughest has been around for 10 years. It just came back to life three years ago.

Reverend Dr. Jay

Last edited by: Styk33: Nov 5, 04 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try $86CAN for a HalfIM in Parry Sound. And it is a great race.

I can't believe I am saying this but it pays to live in Southern Ontario! For once.

M~
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [TnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, $86!!!. We couldn't afford to even get town permits for that price. I wish our overhead were cheaper so we could give that kinda price.

mark@waypastfast.com
http://www.waypastfast.com

WAY PAST FAST

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I checked one out locally, and while theoretically it seemed great, i just couldn't justify shelling out the dough. it's a ride I'll never do probably. can't put words to it to say exactly why (other than the money) but I feel turned off with it.

when you put travel on top of expensive entry fees, it motivates me to just stay local and forgo most of the expense of racing. (plus, I'm a barfy traveler. sad, but true.)
Last edited by: kittycat: Nov 5, 04 12:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of doing this race...if you don't camp, what is another affordable accommodation?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [lizzer6917] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parry Sound? I believe there is a comfort inn right down the street. There are quite a few hotels and what not there, you just have to book early and call around.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [lizzer6917] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can try to get a room in Paso Robles, or just rent a van and sleep in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We could talk about how running a race like this doesn't have fixed costs over the years (my business liability policy went up 30% last year and I've never filed a claim) and how their bottom line must account for these increases, but I think the following is more interesting:

"Tri-California Events is proud to donate profits from the Jamba Juice Wildflower Triathlons to benefit many organizations including the "Official Charity of Wildflower, the Challenged Athlete Foundation", Cal Poly Student Clubs and Organizations, Cal Poly Running Thunder Spirit Club, San Luis Obispo - Campus Crusade for Christ, Team In Training, Monterey County Parks and Recreation, local Police Explorers programs and many more."

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's an unscrupulous race director somewhere filling his hollowed out volcano lair with the millions he made off of Wildflower.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something to consider for all whining about costs, most of those volunteer groups are listed in the charity list. Most races have to make a donation to what ever groups come out and help the race. The charity has money and the race has "volunteers".

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingK don't do it you big sook.

What a spot for the Race Director to be in.

Supply v Demand.

If the race fills up, they have just made a heap more money for doing no extra work.

I am sure any business man would be happy with that.

I assume you are still going to enter?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [blew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't race then!!!! Aren't the race directors allowed to make a living too? There are plenty of other races that don't cost as much. Personally I don't mind paying a little extra, I hope that some races make a profit or we would never be able to race anywhere. Do you know what it costs for all the permits and supplies etc...

Just ride around the block a couple of times, you little baby!
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower raising entry fee!!!! [blew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supply v Demand.

If the race fills up, they have just made a heap more money for doing no extra work.

I am sure any business man would be happy with that.

Where can I find one of these businesses that my costs never increase? Races cost a lot to put on, even with the volunteer support. I am sure just the insurance for triathlons, especially in the USA, has skyrocketed.

Ever notice that the majority of people in race production companies are or were triathletes? If Race ownership is such a lucrative business, why don't we see more from the private sector jumping in on it. I don't think many are in it to exploit the nathletes and get rich, but if they don't make profit, they will cease to exist.

How many of you would be happy with the same salary you had when you started your job, with no hope of a raise? How many of you would continue to run a business if it weren't profitable?

Having watched the evolution of triathlon since the early 80s, I like where we've come. The improvements in equipment, safety, coaching, nutritrition and communication (like this forum) all have developed from the demand and commercialization of the sport. Nearly all were developed with the intent of someone making a profit.

If you don't like the idea of "professionally" run races, there still are many good low key, less expensive, no frills events from local sprints to irondistance events.

The "old days" weren't all they're cracked up to be.

Support Crew
Why do I always get myself in trouble the night before an IM?

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Last edited by: support crew: Nov 5, 04 17:59
Quote Reply