Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
bummer. I'm a late signer upper for everything, so, I haven't lost anything, but. This is my favorite race of the year.

WTC is the winner - again

shrugs shoulders...

I'm sorry but this combination of comment bothers me, if you really love a race and want to support it to help ensure it continues, why wait to sign up? Pretty sure all the marketing ploys to entice early registration are there for them to be able to count the race as viable. You are part of the reason that WTC is winning here so don't just shrug your shoulders, go and sign up for the non-corp races you want to do and make sure they hit their registration goals. Rant over.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
bummer. I'm a late signer upper for everything, so, I haven't lost anything, but. This is my favorite race of the year.

shrugs shoulders...

I'm sorry but this combination of comment bothers me, if you really love a race and want to support it to help ensure it continues, why wait to sign up? Pretty sure all the marketing ploys to entice early registration are there for them to be able to count the race as viable. You are part of the reason that WTC is winning here so don't just shrug your shoulders, go and sign up for the non-corp races you want to do and make sure they hit their registration goals. Rant over.

why wait to sign up? prevent injury. many races I signed up to do, where I forced myself to train through injury to be able justify money I lost - to able to finish mediocre .
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"plus, i spoke to the folks responsible for making this decision. the fear of another split transition was not the reason. "

So the list of what the reason is NOT is getting longer. Can you share what the actual reason IS?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:
"plus, i spoke to the folks responsible for making this decision. the fear of another split transition was not the reason. "

So the list of what the reason is NOT is getting longer. Can you share what the actual reason IS?

I agree. It's not cool to not clearly communicate the reason for the cancellation. This feels like a death blow to Wildflower.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what's the reason?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So what's the reason?

less money mo problems
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dan holding out the reason for a good article I hope :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Freddo wrote:
We should be able to model rather closely expected water levels in May given predictable weather patterns in mild el nino years such as this.

The water swings a bit too far south, unfortunately, and the rainy season tends to end rather early.

example: https://www.weather-us.com/...-luis-obispo-climate

february is about it unfortunately, March a last hurrah, and then nothing until the following Nov or so

I'm sure theres a model for expected rainfall thats pretty close already, as indeed Dams in the area are required to act based on it

I could be wrong, but the "2 transition/double run" fallback proposal in low water years such as this one would likely be is not considered a good thing for the event nor participation.

monterey county publishes the water levels for every month of every year going back to 1967. you can see what typically happens in that lake. if not another drop of rain fell the race would've been fine, and held with 1 transition. and another storm is ready to hit the area this week.

plus, i spoke to the folks responsible for making this decision. the fear of another split transition was not the reason.

Can you let us know what the reason was?

This ruined my day
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
hadukla wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:

shrugs shoulders...

why wait to sign up? prevent injury. many races I signed up to do, where I forced myself to train through injury to be able justify money I lost - to able to finish mediocre .

100% agree.

The amount of long term damage I've done to "not miss" a race I signed up for early is still causing me problems years later.

Besides, late signed uppers pay a premium, which i$ good for race producers too
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Freddo wrote:
We should be able to model rather closely expected water levels in May given predictable weather patterns in mild el nino years such as this.

The water swings a bit too far south, unfortunately, and the rainy season tends to end rather early.

example: https://www.weather-us.com/...-luis-obispo-climate

february is about it unfortunately, March a last hurrah, and then nothing until the following Nov or so

I'm sure theres a model for expected rainfall thats pretty close already, as indeed Dams in the area are required to act based on it

I could be wrong, but the "2 transition/double run" fallback proposal in low water years such as this one would likely be is not considered a good thing for the event nor participation.

monterey county publishes the water levels for every month of every year going back to 1967. you can see what typically happens in that lake. if not another drop of rain fell the race would've been fine, and held with 1 transition. and another storm is ready to hit the area this week.

plus, i spoke to the folks responsible for making this decision. the fear of another split transition was not the reason.

Can you let us know what the reason was?

This ruined my day

i don't know. i only know it wasn't the water. i spoke to the head guy in charge of making this decision. it was more a case of logistics and the money around the logistics. i think this is a lot more expensive race to produce now than it used to be, due to monterey county's decision to close this park.

i always find stuff like this very frustrating. this is public land, held by the govt of monterey county for the people of the county. don't sell it! don't let individuals have it! preserve it for the protection and use of the entire citizenry. and then close it off to everyone.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been awhile since I've been up there, but what about Nacimiento and partnering with Camp Bob?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The County of Monterey isn't closing Lake San Antonio. The board of supervisors voted to take over operations from Cal Resorts, the company that's running it. From the board report:

Quote:
Lake San Antonio-South. Remove from enterprise fund, and become 100% managed by the County. Operate as a day-use/regional park with low impact activities such as camping, biking, hiking, and horseback riding. Remain fully open during the peak season, partially open (weekends) during off season…

LSA South and North Shores remain fully open during the peak season utilizing a reduced footprint and simplified sanitation system

LSA - South Shore be partially open (weekends only) during off season.

I don't know what conversations occurred, but it's not a stretch to suppose that there wasn't enough time or budget to deal with the reduction in services and infrastructure at the park.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [steveblum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So they would have had to pay govt overtime rates for the extra staffing for the event. That or the county just didn’t have the manpower ready to commit to the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, the county is SELLING the park to PRIVATE OWNERS?!? Whaaaaaaat??

That's a bummer. Public lands are falling into the hands of the rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [steveblum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steveblum wrote:
The County of Monterey isn't closing Lake San Antonio. The board of supervisors voted to take over operations from Cal Resorts, the company that's running it. From the board report:

Quote:
Lake San Antonio-South. Remove from enterprise fund, and become 100% managed by the County. Operate as a day-use/regional park with low impact activities such as camping, biking, hiking, and horseback riding. Remain fully open during the peak season, partially open (weekends) during off season…

LSA South and North Shores remain fully open during the peak season utilizing a reduced footprint and simplified sanitation system

LSA - South Shore be partially open (weekends only) during off season.

I don't know what conversations occurred, but it's not a stretch to suppose that there wasn't enough time or budget to deal with the reduction in services and infrastructure at the park.

Wow, great sleuthing. Imagine how long it takes to turn that ship. Poor race directors must have just thrown their arms up; no way can it happen this year.
What a bummer.
It's just crazy, though, how this has affected the schedules of most of my training buddies. Anyhow, I hope it comes back!
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [SurfAwave69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Wait, the county is SELLING the park to PRIVATE OWNERS?!? Whaaaaaaat??

That's a bummer. Public lands are falling into the hands of the rich.

no. either you read poorly or i wrote poorly.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ho! Another rugby player with a triathlon problem. Hail, fellow, well met
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:

shrugs shoulders...

Valid point, but even if someone loves a race some people have unpredictable lives and they can't sign up for anything until 3-4 months away and its safe to pull the trigger. Some people just procrastinate. Other people have crazy jobs where they get an overseas 6month assignment without warning. Some people can't sign up for a race until they feel they are ready.

I totally understand your side of the argument, but I think the string of canceled races lately has also made people shy to pull the trigger. Everyone has a different style.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [outsidepr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
outsidepr wrote:
Ho! Another rugby player with a triathlon problem. Hail, fellow, well met

Word

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
SurfAwave69 wrote:

no. either you read poorly...

Thanks bro
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "Lake San Antonio Triathlon" will be held on the same weekend that WF canceled. May 4th is packet pickup, May 5th is the race date for all events. We have placed everything at Lynch since the water level is good. We'll have a Long Course, Oly, Sprint, Parent/Child Tri, Aquabike, Duathlon, 5K and 10K run. Website will be up this weekend along with opening registration. All camping is in the Lynch area, so no hiking up the hill if you register for camping early. All courses will be on existing WF courses at Lynch, except the Long Tri (they'll do 2 laps of the Olympic bike course (50 miles) and 4 laps for the 12.1 mile run).

Please visit: http://www.lakesanantoniotriathlon.com for course maps, details, etc.

Sorry, we have booked all the remaining cabins.
Last edited by: jerrettmc: Mar 1, 19 22:00
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [jerrettmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jerrettmc wrote:
Just heard the news that "Lake San Antonio Triathlon" will hold a smaller event on the same weekend that WF canceled. May 4th is packet pickup, May 5th is the race date for all events.They are planning everything at Lynch since the water level is good. Looks like they'll have a Long Course, Oly, Sprint, Aquabike, Duathlon, 5 and 10K run. Website will be up this weekend along with opening registration. All camping is in the Lynch area, so no hiking up the hill if you register for camping early. All courses will be on existing WF courses at Lynch, except the Long Tri (they'll do 2 laps of the Olympic bike course (50 miles) and 4 laps for the 12.1 mile run). Sounds like we'll be able to keep an eye on each other a lot better.

We'll posted the website and registration links here when they come available.

Sorry, we have booked all the remaining cabins.

who is the "they" who are putting this on?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goleta Beach Triathlon has picked it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower 2019 canceled :( [jerrettmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jerrettmc wrote:
Goleta Beach Triathlon has picked it up.

if you are associated with this event, that's fine. no problem. can you do so, if that's the case? it's considered best form to disclose that. i'm sure folks will have some questions about the event.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 28, 19 12:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm one of the Race Directors for Goleta Beach Triathlon...
Quote Reply

Prev Next