Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redtdi wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:
3. bad choice in parents.

This one is bullshit. My dad has had gastric bypass surgery and my Mom is quite overweight. Training and commitment beat genetics and laziness every time.

2 x Kona, 2012 and 2013

Ok well see, what I meant is that I inherited their laziness. I guess I should have been more clear about that.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Sep 18, 14 18:21
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Beer
2. Poor
3. Genetics + lazy
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far I'm smelling more Budweiser than merlot. Is this thread male centric?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People consider Budweiser beer?
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) haven't been able to put in more than 8 weeks of solid training for an ironman
- attempted 20 weeks and ended up doing 12 weeks of 6-10 hour average (some weeks were 3 hours)

2) can't swim faster than 1:10 for 2.4 miles
- going to the pool is such a pain in the friggan rear

3) in order to put in 18 hour training weeks i can only average 5 hours a sleep a night
- been there done that, bad results (too much going on in life that i won't sacrifice)

maybe one day. but for now, i'm 3 down on the legacy and plan on chipping 2 off next year.

john
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [crocked_knee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dam it that was mine!

1) I lost all my trucker hats.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redtdi wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:
3. bad choice in parents.

This one is bullshit. My dad has had gastric bypass surgery and my Mom is quite overweight. Training and commitment beat genetics and laziness every time.

2 x Kona, 2012 and 2013

So, just to clarify, you believe all overweight people lack athletic potential? Just because you mother is overweight, doesn't mean her mitochondria aren't useful...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Official version - old, fat, and slow.

Public version - 60 hour work weeks, love my family, love my beer.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) I don't want to race in Kona. I'd rather ride to the top of the volcano and go surfing.
2) I can vacation in Europe for three weeks for less money
3) I don't have an "aging doctor"
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
3. I actually want to stay married

you'll get over this one eventually

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
So far I'm smelling more Budweiser than merlot. Is this thread male centric?

You couldn't pay me to drink Budweiser. Merlot, OTOH, I'd drink even mediocre to poor versions for free. Feel free to send me some cheap merlot.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
So, just to clarify, you believe all overweight people lack athletic potential? Just because you mother is overweight, doesn't mean her mitochondria aren't useful...

The exact opposite. I believe that ALL people have the potential to be good athletes.

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. After 21 run interval workouts this year on the track and treadmill I only managed 8:30/mile pace on the run in 5k Sprint Triathlons.(How shitty is that?)
2. My father was good at track...but he did the shot put.
3. I would potentially have to share the course with delusional people like redtdi who think that their success is solely due to hard work, (hey, redtdi, why haven't you made the Olympic team yet in your sport of choice? Just work hard enough and make your dreams come true...lol)
Last edited by: Steve-oH!: Sep 19, 14 4:30
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
3. I would potentially have to share the course with delusional people like redtdi who think that their success is solely due to hard work, (hey, redtdi, why haven't you made the Olympic team yet in your sport of choice? Just work hard enough and make your dreams come true...lol)

Started too late. I was 220lbs until the age of 29 (now 158lbs) and people had convinced me I couldn't be a good athlete. I think had the right support/coaching staff been around it might have been possible if I'd started around 8. I will "blame" my parents for not being interested in my athletic wellbeing or making sure I participated in sport, but not for the genetics they passed down.

We're also talking about qualifying for Kona not being the top 0.01% in the country. Not quite the same standard.

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redtdi wrote:
afrizzledfry wrote:

The exact opposite. I believe that ALL people have the potential to be good athletes.

I see [at least] two types of people that make this argument: those who happen to have the genetic talent (and are already fast), and those who have never put in the serious volumes and efforts to be fast and never get fast. Your genes determine your potential.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
I see [at least] two types of people that make this argument: those who happen to have the genetic talent (and are already fast), and those who have never put in the serious volumes and efforts to be fast and never get fast. Your genes determine your potential.

Have to add the most annoying group: "coaches", "personal trainers" and the like who want to sell you their one-size-fits-all "revolutionary training system".

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. i fired my coach because he couldnt get me to KQ :)
2. i sucked at swimming without a wetsuit
3. i rather do Roth anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
redtdi wrote:
afrizzledfry wrote:

I'm on the side of redtdi, short of a major medical condition, everyone has the potential to be a good athlete in "something". It may not be running, or swimming, but something. We aren't talking about Olympian, or even county champion, but just good. That isn't a very high bar.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [JesseR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1)irrational fear of M-dot tattoos
2)sales tax rate in Hawaii
3)don't like the name "Queen K"

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple math:
  1. can't swim 59:xx
  2. cant bike 5:xx
  3. cant run 3:2x

Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
1. I like good beer
2. I spend a lot of my money on good beer

I definitely agree with your 1st item and 3rd items, but disagree heartily with #2 as good beer isn't really expensive.

We(spouse and I) drink new craft beer every day(1,149 unique checkins in Untappd). Mostly we buy build-a-sixes, but we also trade with others, visit taprooms, and rarely bars.

We rarely spend more than $2 a person per day on good beer which is under $800/year. Occasionally we will splurge on a $12 bomber(Ballast Point Sculpin) or a bar visit for a $8 draft(Three Floyds Moloko Stout), but of all our hobbies beer drinking is the one the cheapest.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
deh20 wrote:
redtdi wrote:
afrizzledfry wrote:

I'm on the side of redtdi, short of a major medical condition, everyone has the potential to be a good athlete in "something". It may not be running, or swimming, but something. We aren't talking about Olympian, or even county champion, but just good. That isn't a very high bar.

But, in the spirit of full disclosure, you probably fall in the first category (i.e., are already fast)? In which case, you're saying to all those people that have spent years trying to KQ that they just haven't tried hard enough, don't have the right coach, etc., etc.?
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You wrote, "
  • can't swim 59:xx
  • cant bike 5:xx
  • cant run 3:2x"

• But you can't use that excuse five years from now =-)

• http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    deh20 wrote:
    JasoninHalifax wrote:
    deh20 wrote:
    redtdi wrote:
    afrizzledfry wrote:

But, in the spirit of full disclosure, you probably fall in the first category (i.e., are already fast)? In which case, you're saying to all those people that have spent years trying to KQ that they just haven't tried hard enough, don't have the right coach, etc., etc.?

not at all. Good and KQ are not synonymous, in my mind.

I'll never KQ. I'm a terrible runner, get injured too easily, and don't particularly like running. But I did find that I could be a good (not great, but good) athlete in something. I was a "good" swimmer, and a "good" cyclist. It isn;t because I have great genetics on my side, I'm the only athletic person in my family.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Because I actually enjoy living my life outside of triathlon. IM is just too all consuming. It's fun, and challenging, but there is always a time when the training stops feeling fun and starts feeling like work. I feel like that would be every day if I, a relatively normally athletically inclined person, were to try to get to Kona.

Long Chile was a silly place.
    Quote Reply

Prev Next