Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I have a concept2 rowing erg. Its my best machine to get a super workout really quickly. I am trying to tack on 15-30 min daily on top of my runs to keep my upper body conditioned (in addition to legs and core before anyone jumps on me, I am doing things correctly).

I would not get a swimming erg, because it just cannot generate enough cardio load. The wattage you can generate with your arms alone is insanely low relative to a bike or rowing erg. This is why I would get a ski erg because you can send your heart rate through the roof and do the roughly same upper body motion but you get the core in there and legs too. The reason I have not gotten the ski erg is because between real swimming and XC skiing, it has not been worth it given I also have a rowing erg. The rowing erg has a better crossover to biking and running (how it used the core is almost identical to running during the push off phase).

So if you have a choice, I would get the rowing erg over the swim erg. Next I would get the ski erg and compliment with stretch chords.

If you were swim (and not "general fitness") focused and had limited pool time/access, would you still pick the rower first?

Yes, because my primary sport now is swimming (I am racing 400IM, 200 fly, 200IM, 1500 free, 800 free). My events are all distance events meaning they are aerobically focused, not strength (200IM is the most combo of fast and slow twitch). Performance in these events are primarily determined by cardio. There is going to be no machine that helps me technically for these events better than hitting the water, so between stretch chords and the concept2, its better prep for when I get back in the water. If I had a ski erg, I think it would be better prep than the swim erg becausee the motion is more close to swimming and you can get cardio through the roof.

In normal scenario, I am swimming 7 days per week 20k-30k before all this covid shut down started.

So my 2 cents whether you are a triathlete or a pure swimmer, get the concept2 rowing erg and strech chords. Its just a better fitness machine and stretch chords gets some swimmer specificity for when you return to the pool.

I'm with Dev, I'd get a ski erg before a swim erg. You can make a DIY ski erg out of a bike trainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P81cRegipUw

An Ercolina machine could do both

https://www.skiroll.it/...INA-UPPER-BODY-POWER

Or a rollerboard.

So I put my old computrainer on a wall above my head, and one side put a handle, the other side put a weight, connect with a chain over a wheel ? Then just do butterfly stroke pull?
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s8RAtJRT5YEsnXKQ6

As the pictures, hopefully, show, I have a drywall bucket with weight as an anchor. Bungee cord connected from the handle of the bucket to the chain. Then some baler twine to connect to my handle setup. I have a little problem with chain skip, I'm using an ancient 5 speed mtb wheel. It's a wind trainer, so I like to be able to use different gears for resistance. I use it a fair amount in the winter. 30-45 minutes and then an XC ski focused strength session makes for a good workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy Shit! This is something you'd see in a SAW movie.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xatefrogg wrote:
Holy Shit! This is something you'd see in a SAW movie.

Never thought of that, perhaps I can hook up a chain from a chain saw and cut firewood! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have finally found the ultimate "poor man vasa" (at least for us Euros), as cheap as ~150$

https://www.duvlan.eu/.../duvlan-supergym-sg/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULs75vmguOo
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't this just a knockoff of the Total Gym?
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

What is the right price (of a swim erg) for you?

500$ for a "smart" one (with electronics, computer, connectivity etc.) and 250$ for a "dumb" one (no electronics); that is 20% more expensive than average rowers (you get a smart one for 400$ or even less), but yet reasonable

Honestly you can make a dumb swim ERG for about $15.

The only thing you don't have at your house already are swim bands.

Something to think about:

With a VASA the tension is the same throughout the pull. Which seems like a good thing. But I am not so sure. With bands the tension increases through out the stroke (because the band is lengthening). It seems to me that the sweep is the most powerful part of the stroke because the lever angle is the best. This is exactly when the tension is highest if you are on a stable bench doing pull.
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nordic Track ski machines are pretty cheap on Craigslist. I've even seen them at Goodwill and garage sales, usually $20-$50 or so. They make a great dry-land swim alternative. I may have even built some extra strength, as the cable tension has infinite resistance, and I can make it harder than swimming. Please never mind my stroke form... I was finished with my workout, and very tired.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Apr 28, 20 14:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I already have some nice stretch cords, actually. Possibly now I should get a body building bench to lie down on and make them more swim-like. Using cords with different resistance would also make sense (now I'm using the "strong" ones)
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
youtube says video is private
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:

Should work now. Thanks! Old man still trying to figure out how to do videos...

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:

Should work now. Thanks! Old man still trying to figure out how to do videos...

Yeah! Thanks for the video Dean
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you really think that performance in distance events is all cardio? And you have a swim coach who is/was swimming you 7 days a week?

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
Do you really think that performance in distance events is all cardio? And you have a swim coach who is/was swimming you 7 days a week?

Tim

You're a coach...what type of a question is this regardless of sport? Of course distance events are only a very small part fast twitch once you get past 20 seconds in ANY sport so its all mainly slow twitch utilization, but that obviously does not preclude the high end and getting into using some fast twitch. I'm not talking about technique in this context though. Your statement comes across borderline snarky or maybe a put down of another coach, I assume you were alluding to the technical part being important (obviously) and that was not the focus of my statement. Without knowing who my swim coach is where he got me to in 4 strokes starting from nothing in my 50's, I suggest you just stick to talking about your coaching and don't imply anything about others.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 29, 20 20:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
So I put my old computrainer on a wall above my head, and one side put a handle, the other side put a weight, connect with a chain over a wheel ? Then just do butterfly stroke pull?
I did basically this earlier in the year for a while.
Handle (from some PVC pipe), 6mm rope, over a swivelling pulley, then down to a light dumbbell weight. One for each arm.
Seemed to work OK. A bit too much force at the catch though (due to no momentum/flywheel). Can do whatever stroke you want, but I found a wide butterfly stroke most effective. The dumbbells can swing a bit wildly, simultaneous arm swings stopped them tangling.

The bike trainer thing seems neater if you can get the stroke length and resistance sorted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

What is the right price (of a swim erg) for you?

500$ for a "smart" one (with electronics, computer, connectivity etc.) and 250$ for a "dumb" one (no electronics); that is 20% more expensive than average rowers (you get a smart one for 400$ or even less), but yet reasonable

Honestly you can make a dumb swim ERG for about $15.

The only thing you don't have at your house already are swim bands.

Something to think about:

With a VASA the tension is the same throughout the pull. Which seems like a good thing. But I am not so sure. With bands the tension increases through out the stroke (because the band is lengthening). It seems to me that the sweep is the most powerful part of the stroke because the lever angle is the best. This is exactly when the tension is highest if you are on a stable bench doing pull.

I'm not sure this is true. I think VASA ergs are like rowing ergs -- flywheel with fan blades and air resistance -- which means the resisting force is heavily dependent on how you execute your pull. The force at any given part of the pull depends on how much you are accelerating the flywheel and the air resistance at whatever flywheel rotation rate you're at. Formally, you'd have:

force = moment of inertia * angular acceleration + air resistance
= I d\omega/dt + c \omega^2,

where I is the moment of inertia, \omega the angular velocity of the flywheel, and c is a drag coefficient which would depend on the damper setting and can be calculated by the machine based on how rapidly the wheel spins down in between pulls (how the Concept 2 self-calibrates).

Quick searching doesn't show any "force curves" for the VASA like there are for the Concept 2 - so maybe something about it is proprietary or swimmers care less about having clean force curves (which I'd doubt...).

For in-water swimming force exertion on the pull is much messier since you are moving your arm at varying speed (with different parts of your arm having different speeds), as your body changes speed, through a non-confined mass of water. It's the speed of your arm relative to the water that matters and presumably drag force varies as the square of that relative speed, but there is also some lift to consider... overall not easy!
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

I'm not sure this is true. I think VASA ergs are like rowing ergs -- flywheel with fan blades and air resistance -- which means the resisting force is heavily dependent on how you execute your pull. The force at any given part of the pull depends on how much you are accelerating the flywheel and the air resistance at whatever flywheel rotation rate you're at. Formally, you'd have:

Regarding the VASA and your application of the angular displacement formula: I thought about this, and came to the opposite conclusion. The Fly wheel is most easily moved at the end of the stroke (when the fly wheel is rotating). But I haven't taken DIFEQ in 22 years and haven't practiced it at all so I could be 100% wrong about this. (and) I want to know, so kindly let me know if I am wrong.

One other thing: Gary Hall showed that swimmers travel the fastest at the start of the stroke (when drag is lowest) and thus it is pretty obvious that you would want the most resistance at the end of the stroke.

So, I think bands are a good $15 substitute!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While everyone is posting their DIY swim training equipment, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Exer-Genie. My coach turned me onto these.

Granted, from what I'm told, these are pretty old school; however, I returned my overpriced vasa Ant+ erg a few months ago (and got hosed for $600 out of pocket due to shipping) and am infinitely happier with this. I scored one on eBay for $90, which is a FAR cry from what the vasas are going for. This provides a uniform tension throughout the stroke (like the Vasa but unlike stretch cords), if that makes a difference. To me, having used both, I would take this over the vasa, no questions asked.

While you can't do both arms simultaneously (i.e., no fly/breast stroke), this thing is a beast for freestyle. It's small, affordable, and really is working great for me.

https://www.youtube.com/...QZTY_7E#action=share

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With respect, I can think of six things off the top of my head that are more impactful than aerobic capacity in the events you listed. There's a problem and I've been guilty of this in the past too because it's how swimming thinks that it's all about aerobic capacity. Aerobic capacity is one component of successful distance swimming, but it's certainly not the most important one and it's really a byproduct of training the brain. If you start to look at building mastery of the skill of racing fast at distance events in the pool, training can take on a completely different texture and emphasis. And I would also say again, with respect, that strength at those same distances especially for a masters age swimmer is more impactful than aerobic capacity.

With regards to training 7 days a week, from experience, I would tell you without hesitation that you could be a lot faster than you are right now if you would have taken at least one day off a week. Again, with respect.

Tim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
twcronin wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Regarding the VASA and your application of the angular displacement formula: I thought about this, and came to the opposite conclusion. The Fly wheel is most easily moved at the end of the stroke (when the fly wheel is rotating). But I haven't taken DIFEQ in 22 years and haven't practiced it at all so I could be 100% wrong about this. (and) I want to know, so kindly let me know if I am wrong.

One other thing: Gary Hall showed that swimmers travel the fastest at the start of the stroke (when drag is lowest) and thus it is pretty obvious that you would want the most resistance at the end of the stroke.

So, I think bands are a good $15 substitute!

I think you're right that the VASA should have low resistance towards the end of the stroke once you are no longer accelerating the flywheel (as you're then no longer exerting force to accelerate the flywheel). But the real swim stroke is also like this -- once your pull slows, your thrust force also weakens and your backwards force application drops to zero as you pull your arm out of the water and start the recovery phase. I am definitely a proponent of cords and they will train the end of your pull to be stronger, but the switch from end of pull to recovery feels weird because you drop from maximal backwards force exertion to zero vary quickly and you're training the back half of your pull harder than the front half.
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another reason I like the ski machine pulley. The tension is the same through out the pull. It’s also infinite amount of resistance. I can set it much higher than actually swimming, and build strength. I should also mention that I’m using the old ski machine completely unmodified. I’m sure there are folks here, with much more ingenuity that me, that could improve on the idea. I’m using it an hour every other day, and get off it feeling just as spent as an hour in the pool.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
While everyone is posting their DIY swim training equipment, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Exer-Genie. My coach turned me onto these.

Granted, from what I'm told, these are pretty old school; however, I returned my overpriced vasa Ant+ erg a few months ago (and got hosed for $600 out of pocket due to shipping) and am infinitely happier with this. I scored one on eBay for $90, which is a FAR cry from what the vasas are going for. This provides a uniform tension throughout the stroke (like the Vasa but unlike stretch cords), if that makes a difference. To me, having used both, I would take this over the vasa, no questions asked.

While you can't do both arms simultaneously (i.e., no fly/breast stroke), this thing is a beast for freestyle. It's small, affordable, and really is working great for me.

https://www.youtube.com/...QZTY_7E#action=share

This looks fascinating -- seems to be tunable frictional resistance of a cord passing over a smooth metal surface? So it could actually be constant resisting force as compared to flywheel systems. My main concern would be how such a small device dissipates enough heat if you're putting out a lot of power... but maybe the rope heats up and can radiate or conduct heat to the air when it passes out of the metal unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
With respect, I can think of six things off the top of my head that are more impactful than aerobic capacity in the events you listed. There's a problem and I've been guilty of this in the past too because it's how swimming thinks that it's all about aerobic capacity. Aerobic capacity is one component of successful distance swimming, but it's certainly not the most important one and it's really a byproduct of training the brain. If you start to look at building mastery of the skill of racing fast at distance events in the pool, training can take on a completely different texture and emphasis. And I would also say again, with respect, that strength at those same distances especially for a masters age swimmer is more impactful than aerobic capacity.

With regards to training 7 days a week, from experience, I would tell you without hesitation that you could be a lot faster than you are right now if you would have taken at least one day off a week. Again, with respect.

Tim

I'll address the 7 days per week first. Just to be clear I am not in this sport to get faster as the primary reason I do sport. I do sport because I enjoy it every day. I am OK if I not as fast, but the trade off is worth it. Many age groupers make that trade off. I have other parts of my life where I have maximize performance all the time, so its just not enjoyable to treat sport in the same context. It may be different if sport is all I did. My professional life, requires way more performance focus continuously with much more on the line for a lot of people if I don't perform. So by the time sport rolls around its a different focus.

I can see a point when I am retired where what you said will make even more sense, because I won't have my professional life to check how much training I can do!

On you first set of points, we are in agreement 100%. My point is during dryland, I can work my fast twitch with weights, and use other machines for slow twitch and some chords gets me to some swim specific motions. I'll use the pool for technical in general (no pool now), and I'm not in a rush to replicate pool motions for hours on end trying emulate them dryland. If my upper body is aerobically fit and fit strength wise, I'll resume pool specific motions back in the water. Does that make sense?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:

Tim

Tim - Has your pool reopened yet??? If not, when do you think you will??? Just curious, thanks!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Why swimming machines/ergometers aren't a thing? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Neither pool we swim out of has opened. The community pool said they would update mid May on opening up. The high school pool will probably be longer before it opens.

Hope you are doing well.

Tim

Quote Reply

Prev Next