Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor?
Quote | Reply
Hello community:

Just wanted to steal a couple of minutes of your time to share my thoughts on the interesting development of blood glucose as a new metric for health/performance.

Please leave your feedback as it will be very much appreciated.

Check link below for video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m6sQQob9Qo

Thank you so much,

Oscar.

A triathlon Youtube channel for busy triathletes:

https://www.youtube.com/...WTx0rqYv2t8uRR1c7AFA
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [oscareninob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is wearing a blood glucose monitor in order to get paid.

No other reason.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [oscareninob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is one of the main sponsors of the event

https://www.supersapiens.com/en-GB/
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The same reason that Lionel wears a Whoop strap!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a glucose monitor is fantastic for a diabetic. some of the "blurbs" ive read in favor of these in athletics are simply marketing. the other side of the table, being the medical field, say theres no real use in athletics.

im not a diabetic so im not buying another stupid toy just because its out there.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Jul 24, 21 18:25
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
a glucose monitor is fantastic for a diabetic. some of the "blurbs" ive read in favor of these in athletics are simply marketing. the other side of the table, being the medical field, say theres no real use in athletics.

im not a diabetic so im not buying another stupid toy just because its out there.

^^^^^This.

SuperSapiens is putting a lot of marketing $$$$ in trying to create a non-medical use for their tech. Sponsoring events and paying athletes to wear one. Problem is that the benefit is highly questionable and the cost is quite high.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Problem is that the benefit is highly questionable and the cost is quite high.

Welcome to the fitness industry!
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [James2020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only conceivable benefit of this kind of tech would be for very motivated athletes who simply can't work out what's going wrong in their nutrition. (Lionel, ahem, cough, ahem) BUT....for it to be meaningful, it has to be accurate. I'm sure as a fitness product this is sold with the caveat it may not be fully accurate.

If any good comes out of a product like this it would be for diabetics who truly benefit from CGM if it helps lower the costs of medical equipment CGM. And as all things tri...if the price comes down low enough, I'm sure the majority of us will convince ourselves we can't live without it. Already much cheaper than power meters back in the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:

€700 for 18 week Ironman training plan. Not clear what you are actually getting for that price but it gives the impression that you are training your blood sugars.

What a load of piff!
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should be pretty accurate actually. It's using the Abbott Freestyle Libre sensor which as product is a medical device.

Darren325 wrote:
it to be meaningful, it has to be accurate. I'm sure as a fitness product this is sold with the caveat it may not be fully accurate.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
It should be pretty accurate actually. It's using the Abbott Freestyle Libre sensor which as product is a medical device.

Darren325 wrote:
it to be meaningful, it has to be accurate. I'm sure as a fitness product this is sold with the caveat it may not be fully accurate.

I've used it extensively.

It's not bad. It gives trends but accuracy is not of a finger prick device. Put it this way, I would never rely on it to determine the amount of insulin to inject.

A non diabetic glucose values should be in a pretty tight range. I struggle to see what this device would help a non diabetic athlete with.

I made the comment in the race day thread. It would have been cool to see Jan in the last 10km of the run to see if he was going low. During the bike he stayed in a very narrow range, as a non diabetic normally would. Showing it on the run would have confirmed it uselessness for non diabetics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So funny you bring this up- a bit ago I saw some twitter stuff on this and I engaged a bit with the questions. FYI I'm @jpschust in this thread.

https://twitter.com/Sci_Tai/status/1410697506980171776
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:

Darren325 wrote:

Hello Belson,

I know it's Abbott...I'm not an expert but friends who are an endocrinologist and another a dietician have expressed this limitation to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [chetatkinsdiet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chetatkinsdiet wrote:
So funny you bring this up- a bit ago I saw some twitter stuff on this and I engaged a bit with the questions. FYI I'm @jpschust in this thread.

Interesting thread and your point is valid

There is probably 0 value in wearing a CGM on race day (for a non diabetic)

However, there are many people that would benefit from knowing if their glucose response was a little off. Not for training reasons but for general health reasons.

Many times people asked me if I could take a glucose reading "just to see" and they were quite high. Not diabetic crazy high but over what they should be.

It just seems like total BS to put it on Jan and make triathletes think they need this to do IM.

let me put in another way. If tomorrow, Apple makes it appleWatch measure blood glucose and you can read it by simply wearing the watch, this has MUCH more benefit to the general public than the IM athlete. BTW, I bet we see this in the next few years. Blood glucose by NIRS.
Last edited by: marcag: Jul 26, 21 4:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The UCI banned it in competition so I believe it has the same value as PED. Or weed.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your feedback.

I agree that this has a bigger effect from a medical/health standpoint than for performance during a race.

Part of why I'm bringing this topic to the table is because from my own experience I've learned to fuel myself with "unconventional" carbs and found that it has a great impact on my health and ultimately in performance as well.

I couldn't say I'm faster because I don't eat white bread or bagels but I've definitely found that it helps me recover faster and control my hunger off training and that has lead me to conclude that I'm healthier than I was a couple of years ago. Again, personal experience and opinion.

Anyway, thanks for your great feedback and for sharing your perspective.

Titanflexr wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

^^^^^This.

SuperSapiens is putting a lot of marketing $$$$ in trying to create a non-medical use for their tech. Sponsoring events and paying athletes to wear one. Problem is that the benefit is highly questionable and the cost is quite high.

Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my personal experience I completely agree with what you say. I've totally opened my eyes to an "unconventional" way of eating while training and racing triathlons. I've completely changed my mind about what being healthy feels like. I used to believe that just because I trained a lot I was healthy and would live longer than anyone else.

Even though there are economical interests involved, I think this is a way of seeing that there might be another way to accomplish our goals in the sport than by loading ourselves with simple carbs just because we "need" more energy than a regular person. To a point this is true, but I think we've over done it and there are also many corporations benefiting from us "having to eat" 5-6 times per day or snacking between snacks LOL.

Anyway, just my personal take on this controversial and probably never-ending topic.

Thanks again Darren! See you around hopefully.

Darren325 wrote:
The only conceivable benefit of this kind of tech would be for very motivated athletes who simply can't work out what's going wrong in their nutrition. (Lionel, ahem, cough, ahem) BUT....for it to be meaningful, it has to be accurate. I'm sure as a fitness product this is sold with the caveat it may not be fully accurate.

If any good comes out of a product like this it would be for diabetics who truly benefit from CGM if it helps lower the costs of medical equipment CGM. And as all things tri...if the price comes down low enough, I'm sure the majority of us will convince ourselves we can't live without it. Already much cheaper than power meters back in the day.

Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
He is wearing a blood glucose monitor in order to get paid.

No other reason.

That was my first answer as well

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Marca for taking the time!

Completely agree with what you are saying.

I believe this could lead to many people reacting to the mainstream advice on sports nutrition. Hopefully for improving their health and still have fun and perform at their maximum ability.

We tend to take this sport so seriously than we sometimes do anything to achieve our goals or dreams. Sadly, our many times health gets in the way and we realize that once we leave the sport as mature adults that can't response to sugars and high-carb diets as they could in their 30's or 40's while exercising many times per week.

It's just enough to look at retired athletes from other sports and easily notice that they couldn't cope anymore with the habits they had at their peak. Growing a belly is probably the least of their health problems when they're in their 60's.

Thanks again for your valuable opinion!!!

marcag wrote:
chetatkinsdiet wrote:

Interesting thread and your point is valid

There is probably 0 value in wearing a CGM on race day (for a non diabetic)

However, there are many people that would benefit from knowing if their glucose response was a little off. Not for training reasons but for general health reasons.

Many times people asked me if I could take a glucose reading "just to see" and they were quite high. Not diabetic crazy high but over what they should be.

It just seems like total BS to put it on Jan and make triathletes think they need this to do IM.

let me put in another way. If tomorrow, Apple makes it appleWatch measure blood glucose and you can read it by simply wearing the watch, this has MUCH more benefit to the general public than the IM athlete. BTW, I bet we see this in the next few years. Blood glucose by NIRS.

Quote Reply
Re: Why is Jan Frodeno Wearing a Blood Glucose Monitor? [chetatkinsdiet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello JP:

That thread is so interesting!

Just read it but will take my time tonight to give it a better look.

Thank you so much for sharing!

chetatkinsdiet wrote:

Quote Reply