Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL...Duh

You're absolutely right, of course. Keep power constant with the changes I spelled out.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like i said, I'm sure the disc is faster, I'd just like to see what the actual aero data in a frame is. Rotational data can be gathered elsewhere.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [htimst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
htimst wrote:
Changing a flat on my disc is a royal pain due to a small opening. I run 32mm stems to compensate. At IM Canada I went with a 90 rear so I could use the same tube on front and back by just changing extenders. My 32's don't have removable cores so I was feeling like I had to carry too much stuff. Having flatted more this year than in the previous 27 years combined I just couldn't expect a flat-free race. Hence no disc...once. Otherwise I always run it. Maybe convoluted reasoning, but it made sense at the time. I didn't flat at IM so it was moot anyway.

808 on the front. Too hard to manage the spare for the back given the short valve required and difficulty pumpnig it up, so 808 on back too. Disappointing as I really only bought the disc for IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"808 on the front. Too hard to manage the spare for the back given the short valve required and difficulty pumpnig it up, so 808 on back too. Disappointing as I really only bought the disc for IM. "

Unless you see 10+ mph wind you want be giving up a lot with the 808 and even less with FC808. A lot of time I see disc on a calm courses (which is frequently the case in many races up and down the east coast) and I believe in these cases it has very little advantage, although I am still a believer in a disc for the rear even though the gains are small.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running a disk looks too fast. It's hard to live up to that kind of pressure. Plus people think that if their wheels don't match that its somehow inferior.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Running a disk looks too fast. It's hard to live up to that kind of pressure. Plus people think that if their wheels don't match that its somehow inferior.

Visit a wind tunnel...you'll probably save more watts than a disc for about the same price and you want have any of those issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I'm watching the IMFL live feed. I'm flabbergasted by the lack of disc wheels. Tons of deep rims on the rear but not a lot of discs.

For those of you that choose to run a deep rim instead of a disc on the back, would you tell me why?

I've done IMWA (that's Western Australia, not Washington :-) ) a few times, the last with a cover on 808. The profiles are pretty similar, so judging by the course profile and the write up at http://beyondtransition.com/...ronman-florida-bike/ I can't understand either. Sure, if you have to fly in, carrying 2 rears "just in case" is often not an option, but with a cover you have the choice to take it off, even on race morning.

And this from the guys at BeyondTransition:

"This is the ideal course to be bringing a tri bike, an aero helmet and a disc wheel. There’s no real need for any other gearset than an 11-23 on the back. In fact, you may even want to experiment with a 54t or 55t chainring. It’s that fast a course"

So why wouldn't you pop for an additional $120?
Last edited by: tribern: Nov 5, 12 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing IM FLA next year, and I was getting nervous that they don't allow disc wheels. The videos I have watched, I have yet to see any. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [stabbin31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stabbin31 wrote:
I'm doing IM FLA next year, and I was getting nervous that they don't allow disc wheels. The videos I have watched, I have yet to see any. Can anyone confirm or deny?

If this is a serious question: disc wheels are allowed.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was and thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desert Dude,

I did IMFL on Saturday. I used a disk. I had a great race and qualified for the first time. I conclude that disk wheels are made of super power go-fast turbo alien thermoepoxydreamciclejuice.

And your old buddy Carl Bonner had a great comeback to the Ironman world as well on Saturday. He's a great training buddy!

Bruce Richter

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A disc wheel needs 3-5 watts to spin to 25 mph. Very good spoked wheels need high teens. Efficiency doesn't change much with weather conditions, frame type or rider dimensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much speed or time savings would one expect by going from 808 Firecrest to an 808 FC Front with a Disk Rear?
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [Frank Rehnelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank Rehnelt wrote:
A disc wheel needs 3-5 watts to spin to 25 mph. Very good spoked wheels need high teens. Efficiency doesn't change much with weather conditions, frame type or rider dimensions.

Thanks for putting a number on it. Further illustrates my point as well. Even if there is only a 10 watt differencein rotational drag between a disc and spoked wheel you are looking at an equivalent savings of 100 grams of drag. For a good comparison the Non-UCI version of the p5 fork saves 18gram and costs ~1500 more.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a disc is so much better than why doesn't Zipp advertise it's faster than 3 seconds per 40K tt over a 808FC? I'm trying to understand why spending a crap ton of money to get 15 seconds is really worth it to people unless they are trying to qualify for Kona, trying to beat a buddy who is equal speed, etc.

I bought an 808FC combo front and rear a while back before I educated myself on the rear disc. It would be nice to have both setups but that new Super 9 clincher Zipp is releasing soon and is going to cost like $2,300. That's insane if you only get 3 seconds per 40K tt? Unless the new Super 9 clincher is a lot faster than their other discs? I have a cover for my 808FC just debating if I should run that for IM AZ in two weeks or if I'm better off just saying F it because if I flat its quicker to change the tire and that saves me more than 15 seconds alone. Using the crack pipe kind of sucks IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [motoxxx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One could imply from some of the data that it is more like 20 secs per 40k, but I am not certain about that which is why asked a couple posts up. Like you I have a pair of 808 Firecrests and like you I would sacrifice some time for an easier wheel/tire change especially if it is only a matter of 15 seconds.

In fact there have sources claiming that the 808 FC is faster than some discs.
Last edited by: vikingmd: Nov 6, 12 2:36
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [baxnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baxnelly wrote:
You don't run a disc wheel when you wait until 8pm on Friday night to start packing for your last race of the season, for which you are leaving at 6 am the next morning.

Packing and bike prep being done, of course, after you have had a couple drinks at dinner and are trying to gather up your gear for a half Iron that is scheduled to be mid 40's and raining after said gear is still all over the house, garage and who knows where else from a half that was done 2 weeks earlier, where it was mid 40's and raining.

Of course you have another beer or two while all this is going on, its about 11pm now, and you then can start prepping your bike for the race. So after maybe another beer, its after midnight, you finally have the training wheels off, regular brake pads off, draft box that holds your clincher spare stuff off, extra training bottle cages off the bike, swap out your regular brake pads for some swiss-stop yellows, install your tubular 'racing day' bottle cages and spare tire setup all on the bike. Well past midnight now, kids are asleep, bags are half assed packed, with trips being made every few minutes when you remember "Oh, I can't forget THAT" to grab miscellaneous stuff you need. Then decide that you feel your disc wheel, purchased a couple years ago from a guy named DD on slowtwitch feels not quite as buttery smooth when spinning as it used to, or not as smooth as your 808's. Maybe from the half two weeks ago where the bike course was soaking wet.

At that time, slightly inebriated and pushing 1 am, and since you do all your own wrenching on your bike, you decide to take apart the rear hub, this being the first rear hub you've ever really taken apart, to "poke around." Which of course leads to removing the cassette, then the effort to take the bearings out, all being done via online documents you are trying to read on and iPad in a cold half lit garage. Everything looks ok, apply some grease and lube as directed, try to re-assemble, wheel spins like total shit now, realize a dust cap is missing, dig around for it, give up, say fuck it and throw the 808 rear on the bike and go to bed at 2 am. Tell the missus in the morning you opted to run the 808 instead of the disc wheel after researching the course profile.

This, IMO, is the only time a disc is not appropriate.

sounds all to familiar....... right down to the iPad and the half lit garage.

Tim

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran one but I noticed that too while racing. I believe its because there were a lot of first timers out there. I didn't see many power meters either which was surprising to me

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
One could imply from some of the data that it is more like 20 secs per 40k, but I am not certain about that which is why asked a couple posts up. Like you I have a pair of 808 Firecrests and like you I would sacrifice some time for an easier wheel/tire change especially if it is only a matter of 15 seconds.

In fact there have sources claiming that the 808 FC is faster than some discs.

I know we could imply more like 20 seconds per 40K, but if Zipp says 3 seconds per 40K (808FC versus their best Disc) which source is more creditable? Its their wheels. Not sure how really world their tests were or if just a wind tunnel.

I saw that information too about Zipp claiming the 808FC is faster than some discs. It would be nice to know which discs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious why it takes longer to change a flat? I run a disc cover on Hed Jet 60's and don't see any difference changing a flat. I also don't have to use a crack pipe since the cover is flexible enough that I can get the pump on without a crack pipe.

-Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoxxx wrote:
because if I flat its quicker to change the tire and that saves me more than 15 seconds alone. Using the crack pipe kind of sucks IMO.

Not sure why you think a disc flat is tougher to change than a regular flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ever try inflating a disc wheel, in the field, with a crack pipe, a CO2 inflator, sweaty fingers and a HR that's through the roof? Good luck!

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [alex_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the CO2 inflators you don't need a crack pipe do you? I use an Innovations (I think its called) and the head is spring loaded.

http://www.trisports.com/air-chuck-sl.html
Last edited by: Mr. Bubble: Nov 6, 12 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't you run a disc wheel? [alex_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_m wrote:
Ever try inflating a disc wheel, in the field, with a crack pipe, a CO2 inflator, sweaty fingers and a HR that's through the roof? Good luck!

Still, explain how this is different than a normal tube change. And take out the crack pipe, because it's unnecessary.
Quote Reply

Prev Next