Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why don't older guys wave?
Quote | Reply
I'd say most of my road rides are solo (especially in current state). My sanctuary. But, that said, I do make a point to take off my left hand and drop a low wave to everyone passing on the other side, when safe.

I'm ballparking this.

Age <60 I would say 75-80% wave back, many initiate
Age >60 I would say 30-40%

Women any age 75-80%

Is this just my town? What gives?
Last edited by: WannaB: Aug 22, 20 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't older guys wave? [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eyesight? Maybe your low wave doesn't get their attention. I sit up and wave both arms above my head and get an 85+% response rate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they don't like you riding on their lawn?
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't older guys wave? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thankyou........:0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an older guy, I see the opposite. Young fast punks don’t wave!😜😜😜😜

I usually wave, but sometimes am too focused on pace to see every cyclist coming the other way.

Trust me, we are not going out of our way to NOT wave.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 59 now and wave when I can, but I could change my mind next year :-s
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't older guys wave? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   66 and I wave at just about everybody. But its not always returned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can you even estimate their age? I'm 65 and when I've got my good bike kits on and aero road helmet, I doubt you can tell I'm one of the old guys. Heck, I'm faster than 90% of the people I see on our local bike trail. Rarely do I get passed. BTW I do wave at anyone who waves at me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're tired.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd guess that 90% of the people who don't reciprocate a friendly gesture are just pretending to be working extremely hard. So hard that in fact, they can't return a kind hand wave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we are going anything over 10mph, we are holding on for dear life so we don’t hit a bump and break our hip! Or it could be we are just grumpy old men - hey, they even made a movie about us.
Or, it could be you? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't older guys wave? [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not interesting::
1) "Hey, look we are both riding bikes."
2) "Hey look, we are both riding bikes and look at my gea- it is is shiney and new.

More interesting:
1) "Hello neighbor."
2) "I see you all the time."
3) "This is an interesting ride."
4)"You are a pretty decent cyclist."
5) etc
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Aug 22, 20 14:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
I'd say most of my road rides are solo (especially in current state). My sanctuary. But, that said, I do make a point to take off my left hand and drop a low wave to everyone passing on the other side, when safe.

I'm ballparking this.

Women any age 75-80%

Low wave?

Never seen nor heard of it before in relation to bicycle riding

But I’ve only ridden 100,000 miles

Maybe soon

Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't older guys wave? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find most people wave, all ages.

Was on Nantucket last week. Went for a run on one of the bike paths. Waved at all runners, walkers, bikers. I'd say 20% waved back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I agree with the other old guy . . . the younger ones don't seem to wave as much as us.

Keep waving!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 57 I wave all the time, especially out in the "country" portion of VA Beach/Chesapeake. On today's ride all the cyclist/triathletes waved, even those we passed on a loop we did multiple times.

I find that on my runs everyone waves back except the weight lifting Bros and the 30-60 year old males on walks with their wives.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Why don't older guys wave? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
WannaB wrote:

I'm ballparking this.

Women any age 75-80%

Low wave?

Never seen nor heard of it before in relation to bicycle riding

But I’ve only ridden 100,000 miles

Maybe soon

Lol

The low wave? Brotherhood of the wheel, bro. It's a motorcycle thing. I do it to the Harley guys, get a few back.

As for cyclists, I think douchie is on the rise based upon some recent wave shuns. They see an old guy, not in Rapha crap and figure, pfffft.

I'm 59, gonna wave until they pry my wave from my cold dead fingers. Or, my prostate blows up. Whichever comes first.

Either way, I'm set for life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well,if you believe all the popular SJW rhetoric,we old guys are far too busy figuring out new ways to destroy society and the planet to bother with being nice to strangers...:-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see much difference in age but by the tightness of their kit haha. The tighter the kit the less wave I get. Dude riding in a t-shirt and shorts I get a full wave and a hello. Someone in bibs and a decent fitting shirt, I'll get just the wave. Full kitted out, skin suit, not even a look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
66 years old. Not as many cyclists here (Eastern NM/West TX) as you'd have in Boulder/Tucson/etc, but I always initiate a wave to other cyclists (and in town to the runners and dog walkers), and I almost always get one back. The ones who don't wave generally have their head down, dealing with a 20 mph+ headwind.

I also wave to the ranchers/farmers in their pickup trucks out on the two lane county roads, and they almost always wave back. I've been rescued a couple of times by one of them during hail storms, and once when I had the dreaded two flats on one ride scenario and no cell phone coverage. (Eastern NM for you.)

I also wave to the local police, sheriff deputies, and state police in their cruisers. They seem to appreciate the thought, and most of them wave back.

It's so easy to do.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't older guys wave? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shake my fist and curse a lot - but that's just the way I express my 67 year old self.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously? I'm not an 'older' guy but I never wave to folks on the opposite side of the road. I'll give 'em a nod and a smile, but in most cases, I'm going hard enough outside to not want to take my hands off the handlebars or change my aero.

I do wave a small amount when I pass on the left for folks going in the same direction. Here in Norcal there are tons of folks out in summer/spring who mostly aren't racers so if you're a racer of any sort you'll pass tons of folks, so I got in the habit of giving 'em a little wave or thumbs up as I go by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sit up and snap a salute. Sometimes even get a smile back from the hardcore roadies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer to nod, and I don't mean nod off to sleep while riding. I'll nod at any cyclist with whom I make eye contact.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't older guys wave? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I prefer to nod, and I don't mean nod off to sleep while riding. I'll nod at any cyclist with whom I make eye contact.

+1 on the nod.

Where I train (NorCal) there are so many cyclists on the popular route that waving at everyone becomes impractical. When I lived elsewhere and encountered maybe 1 (2 max) other cyclists per hour a wave was in order.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply

Prev Next