Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why dog owners, and therefore dogs, have reputations
Quote | Reply
Okay, I know I will get flamed for this post, but since it is real, and supports why I have the thoughts about some
dog owners that I do.

So, even though I raced yesterday, I decided to try and do my 2 hour cross country run. So, I am into my third lap of 5
when I feel something nipping at my back leg at the school grounds. I look behind me and here are two pit bull type dogs
jump around me, nipping at me, touching my body. I stop running since I have no idea what they are up to, but assume
running would be dumb. I look around and see no person anywhere. I start looking to what I could do if they start to attack me,
and look up at the basketball hoops that maybe I could still jump to them if I needed to try and save myself. I have no phone
and me, or even my GPS unit today.

So, I keep looking around and I see a truck packed at the baseball park and finally someone gets out of the car. I yell over at him
if these were his dogs. He says yes. I then yell at him that they are nipping at me. He makes some comment like what is the big deal.
I then say something like it is illegal to have dogs out that are not on a leash. He then calls them back and I continue on my run
all worked up.

So, as I come back for my 4th lap, I am wondering what if he is still there, and what is going on with the dogs. I start to hear some barking
but see nothing. I assume they are barking at me behind some fencing, but had not gotten close enough to see. The next thing I know
is I see the dogs running like crazy in front of me crashing something black. I assume it is a chicken and I hear it making noises. As I come around the corner,
I see one of the pit bulls has a cat in its mouth, around its neck, shacking the heck out of the cat. I have never seen something so grousem (?)
in my life. The dog owner is running at the dog telling it to put the cat down and trying to grab it. As soon as the one dog lets the cat go,
and it trys to run away, the other pit bull grabs it in its mouth by the neck and starts to again shack it like I have never seen live.
I start yelling at the owner to get his dogs or I will try to kill his dogs to stop the attack. I go grab a big stick and get ready to try
to hit the dogs to stop. I throw a big rock at one of them to keep it away from this poor cat who is down laying on the ground looking at me with
these big eyes, I assume slowly dying.

The owner owner finally gets both dogs by the collar and starts walking back to his car. I am walking with him telling him I am going to call the cops since I have
never seen anything like this. I tell him it was bad enough they come nipping at me, but clearly he continued to ignore the law and did not have them on leashes.
As I get past his truck where I go to get his license number, he has now put both dogs on leashes, which he had with him the whole time.
He is saying I am sorry and always comes early on Sundays to let his dogs run since no one is there. I also ask him to give me his name and license on a piece of paper,
which he will not do. I then continue to tell him to call 911 to make this situation as best for him as he can. He tells me he has no phone and I am
looking into his car seeing what looks like a phone. It is this phone pad type device that he is trying to breath into. I finally get is license in my head and start
walking towards the street to flag someone down before I forget his number. I then see him get out of his truck, go lift the hood, and do something under it to start the truck.

I stop a lady who lets me call 911 on her phone. They tell me that there is nothing they can do, that animal control does not do anything on the weekends,
and to call them Monday to file a report. I asked that this poor cat is laying there dying from a brutal attack from 2 dogs can have nothing done,
and she says yes, nothing.

So as this is completing talking to thei gal, the guy drives back into the parking lot. So, I walk down to see what he is going to do. When he told me he would "take care of it",
I assume this was to get rid of the evidence. I ask him what would he expect someone to do if they had hurt one of his dogs. To just leave it there to die?
No, he said he would want them to take it to the vet. I told him the best he can do now is behave in ways that showed he was really sorry. I told him I was filling a report since
he did not put the dog on leases after they started to nip at me the first time. He tried to give me a line that his dogs were just friendly. I then told him
that any dog is still a wild animal and how could he explain how his dogs were attacking that cat is such brutal ways. He then started to agree that he should have had them
on a lease.

As I walked back to my car, not getting in my 2 hour run that I wanted, and NOT wanting to get involved in something like this during mothers day,
I see his truck drive off. I have no idea if he had the cat in the truck and really was going to try and get to a vet, but I did tell him that I assume
I would find out when I made my report to animal control.

I then start to think what was the device he was trying to breath into. I think that is a device that a person who has been caught drinking and driving
must breath into to allow a car to start. And for him to get out of the car after I was walking away, lift the hood, and manually get it to start
implies he has bypassed what is in his car.

So, when I see the posts on ST about dogs and how all dog owners and dogs are great law abiding folks, this is why I always respond that not all
are this way. And, ANY dog can do things that it never has before, like vicous attacks. Never thought I would have such a first hand experience
to solidify for me why I have such strong opinions about some dog owners. I see all the time dogs running loose with there owners at the school, where it is posted
that it is not legal to have a dog there at any time, let alone not on a lease. But, they all see to feel that they can ignore the law, just let there
dog have a friendly run, and not understand that things can happen, that I saw and experienced today first hand.

So, since I am not the kind of person I see a number of times on ST posts who complain about stuff, and are not willing to follow through before
worst things might happen, I will fill a report with animal control, and I will be calling the CHP in a few minutes to ask about
the possible bypass of a acholol device in a car. None of the above is something I wanted to get involved with but, I can not turn my back.
It could be worse next time.

Now, my wife has given my a bad time forever about not running with a cell phone. Since this was the same place I face planeted a year ago, I guess
I am forced to changed my habits. I will be looking at how I can run with my cell phone, and I need to get a can of pepper spray or something
such that if a dog approaches me again, I have something to defend myself with.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why dog owners, and therefore dogs, have reputations [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Please follow through and file the complaint. The only reason those dogs attacked a cat and not a kid is because it was a cat that they saw and not a kid. Those are dangerous dogs and that is a dangerous dog owner. Your goal should be to have those dogs taken from him +/- put down.

Don't pull a Raul. Do something (anything) about this.
Quote Reply
Re: Why dog owners, and therefore dogs, have reputations [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are Bad Apples in every group.

Mike
Last edited by: Sugar Pops: May 11, 08 10:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had some running incidents with dogs. None as bad as this one. Good for you for following up and holding this guy accountable. Truly despicable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like the plot to a Quentin Tarantino film Dave! That is just nuts! That guy was obviously an idiot who doesn't give a shit about anything. I'm a dog owner, but not a fan of what I call "attack dogs". The people that own attack dogs, in many cases, are "tough guys" or those who somehow feel insecure and they get these dogs to make themselves feel more assertive because it's not naturally part of their personality. Of course, this is just my observation and personal experience and doesn't apply to ALL owners of "attack dogs".

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why dog owners, and therefore dogs, have reputations [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just called the CHP, but unless it is an emergency, you can only call them m-f, 8-5.

I WILL NOT PULL A Raul!!!

Now, what happens to him, or the dogs, is something that all I want is to allow the law to deal with it.
I have nothing against dog owners, or dogs, but I have just heard about, and seen too many who ignore the law.
And then if you comment about it, like I see on ST all the time, the dog owners come out and just attack folks like
me who are willing to stand up and state that ALL dogs owners need to follow the laws at ALL times, and that means
their dogs MUST be kept on a lease, unless they are in the house. But, their dog would never attack something, or someone.
Just watch their actions.

So, looks like I have a number of calls to make tomorrow. I hate to do it, but, if I do not, and this person or dogs does something else
worse in the future, then I am just as bad as most folks who complain but are never willing to try and fix the issue.

So, I have no idea what the law is about what to do about dogs that behaved like this. I feel sorry for the dogs, but it always
starts with the owner. The guy was probably as old as me, and quickly stopped trying to be nasty. But, I just keep seeing those
dogs attacking that cat, and that poor cat with those big eyes laying there just looking at me. :o(

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agree w/ your post, and another word on the phone:

I broke my ankle on a run, and was lucky to be clost to home in a populated area. If I was out someplace, I was screwed- all I could do was hop on one foot. The 75-ft. hop into the ER smoked me. Gotta carry a phone, even if it's off, "just in case".

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the cat's owner should have kept it inside or on a leash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stop a lady who lets me call 911 on her phone. They tell me that there is nothing they can do, that animal control does not do anything on the weekends,
and to call them Monday to file a report. I asked that this poor cat is laying there dying from a brutal attack from 2 dogs can have nothing done,

Might have worked better to emphasize the dogs attacking you. In my book with loose dogs, a nip is an attack. Seems pretty lame of the police though considering you had the plates. Sure it's an animal control problem but also public safety. How many people have to be attacked on a weekend to warrant action? Especially in Calif where there have been a few notorious cases.

Quote Reply
Re: Why dog owners, and therefore dogs, have reputations [canadafan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, it should have- since the owner didn't it's now a dead cat.

Dogs can attack people or cause bike wrecks simply by size. Cats typically don't.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, you are the victim of personal attacks from non-ST sources, too. You're an attack magnet.

Not ALL dogs need leashing. Some do. Most dogs would never bite, and would run if threatened. They are not "wild" animals. Get over that crap. Leashes near bike trails, yes, for traffic reasons. Same for kids under 10 or so who wander into bike traffic!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are wrong...hunting dogs hunt, retrievers - well they retrieve, hounds track, herders herd....pit bulls are fighting dogs....guess what nature tells them they want to do!

I am lucky that at Rock Cut the trails are well known to be "off leash" near Olsen Lake...I really like it when people complain about dogs being off leash there too, they call the police who kindly as them to read the signs! (Off Leash Training Area).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Okay, I know I will get flamed for this post, but since it is real, and supports why I have the thoughts about some
dog owners that I do.

So, even though I raced yesterday, I decided to try and do my 2 hour cross country run. So, I am into my third lap of 5
when I feel something nipping at my back leg at the school grounds. I look behind me and here are two pit bull type dogs
jump around me, nipping at me, touching my body. I stop running since I have no idea what they are up to, but assume
running would be dumb. I look around and see no person anywhere. I start looking to what I could do if they start to attack me,
and look up at the basketball hoops that maybe I could still jump to them if I needed to try and save myself. I have no phone
and me, or even my GPS unit today.

So, I keep looking around and I see a truck packed at the baseball park and finally someone gets out of the car. I yell over at him
if these were his dogs. He says yes. I then yell at him that they are nipping at me. He makes some comment like what is the big deal.
I then say something like it is illegal to have dogs out that are not on a leash. He then calls them back and I continue on my run
all worked up.

So, as I come back for my 4th lap, I am wondering what if he is still there, and what is going on with the dogs. I start to hear some barking
but see nothing. I assume they are barking at me behind some fencing, but had not gotten close enough to see. The next thing I know
is I see the dogs running like crazy in front of me crashing something black. I assume it is a chicken and I hear it making noises. As I come around the corner,
I see one of the pit bulls has a cat in its mouth, around its neck, shacking the heck out of the cat. I have never seen something so grousem (?)
in my life. The dog owner is running at the dog telling it to put the cat down and trying to grab it. As soon as the one dog lets the cat go,
and it trys to run away, the other pit bull grabs it in its mouth by the neck and starts to again shack it like I have never seen live.
I start yelling at the owner to get his dogs or I will try to kill his dogs to stop the attack. I go grab a big stick and get ready to try
to hit the dogs to stop. I throw a big rock at one of them to keep it away from this poor cat who is down laying on the ground looking at me with
these big eyes, I assume slowly dying.

The owner owner finally gets both dogs by the collar and starts walking back to his car. I am walking with him telling him I am going to call the cops since I have
never seen anything like this. I tell him it was bad enough they come nipping at me, but clearly he continued to ignore the law and did not have them on leashes.
As I get past his truck where I go to get his license number, he has now put both dogs on leashes, which he had with him the whole time.
He is saying I am sorry and always comes early on Sundays to let his dogs run since no one is there. I also ask him to give me his name and license on a piece of paper,
which he will not do. I then continue to tell him to call 911 to make this situation as best for him as he can. He tells me he has no phone and I am
looking into his car seeing what looks like a phone. It is this phone pad type device that he is trying to breath into. I finally get is license in my head and start
walking towards the street to flag someone down before I forget his number. I then see him get out of his truck, go lift the hood, and do something under it to start the truck.

So as this is completing talking to thei gal, the guy drives back into the parking lot. So, I walk down to see what he is going to do. When he told me he would "take care of it",
I assume this was to get rid of the evidence. I ask him what would he expect someone to do if they had hurt one of his dogs. To just leave it there to die?
No, he said he would want them to take it to the vet. I told him the best he can do now is behave in ways that showed he was really sorry. I told him I was filling a report since
he did not put the dog on leases after they started to nip at me the first time. He tried to give me a line that his dogs were just friendly. I then told him
that any dog is still a wild animal and how could he explain how his dogs were attacking that cat is such brutal ways. He then started to agree that he should have had them
on a lease.

As I walked back to my car, not getting in my 2 hour run that I wanted, and NOT wanting to get involved in something like this during mothers day,
I see his truck drive off. I have no idea if he had the cat in the truck and really was going to try and get to a vet, but I did tell him that I assume
I would find out when I made my report to animal control.

I then start to think what was the device he was trying to breath into. I think that is a device that a person who has been caught drinking and driving
must breath into to allow a car to start. And for him to get out of the car after I was walking away, lift the hood, and manually get it to start
implies he has bypassed what is in his car.

So, when I see the posts on ST about dogs and how all dog owners and dogs are great law abiding folks, this is why I always respond that not all
are this way. And, ANY dog can do things that it never has before, like vicous attacks. Never thought I would have such a first hand experience
to solidify for me why I have such strong opinions about some dog owners. I see all the time dogs running loose with there owners at the school, where it is posted
that it is not legal to have a dog there at any time, let alone not on a lease. But, they all see to feel that they can ignore the law, just let there
dog have a friendly run, and not understand that things can happen, that I saw and experienced today first hand.

So, since I am not the kind of person I see a number of times on ST posts who complain about stuff, and are not willing to follow through before
worst things might happen, I will fill a report with animal control, and I will be calling the CHP in a few minutes to ask about
the possible bypass of a acholol device in a car. None of the above is something I wanted to get involved with but, I can not turn my back.
It could be worse next time.

Now, my wife has given my a bad time forever about not running with a cell phone. Since this was the same place I face planeted a year ago, I guess
I am forced to changed my habits. I will be looking at how I can run with my cell phone, and I need to get a can of pepper spray or something
such that if a dog approaches me again, I have something to defend myself with.

Dave
Your grammar and spelling are truly off the charts. It's absolutely shocking to me that you have made it through your whole life without knowing that "lease" isn't the same as "leash", "breath" isn't the same as "breathe", "vicous" is spelled "vicious", "there" isn't the same as "their" or "they're", "worst" and "worse" aren't the same, you don't spell "alcohol" "acholol", and please explain how you face "planeted".

Oh, and try ONE time composing a post without starting nearly every sentence with "I" or "so".

With that out of the way, some dog owners are absolute idiots. Please don't be a complete ass and lump everyone with this idiot.

Also keep in mind, there are some 61.1 million pet dogs registered in this country (who knows how many are pets but not registered), please don't ass-u-me all dogs are bad. I have had dogs my whole life, and have yet to ever have one bite someone...EVER. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience, at the hands of an unfit owner IMO, but MOST dogs are not like that. The only dog I have ever had kill things was a Jack Russel Terrier that would routinely kill field mice, not exactly a bad thing.

Also, I guess the wonderful myathlete.biz isn't the best. A phone would have done much more than your little GPS toy in this instance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And then if you comment about it, like I see on ST all the time, the dog owners come out and just attack folks like
me who are willing to stand up and state that ALL dogs owners need to follow the laws at ALL times, and that means
their dogs MUST be kept on a lease, unless they are in the house

LEASH! It's a LEASH! Not a "lease"!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: Why dog owners, and therefore dogs, have reputations [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, the OP doesn't even know what kind of dog it is for sure.

Second, you aren't familiar with Pit Bulls. There are two reasons they are chosen for fighting. (1) they are unbelievably strong, and (2) they are AMAZINGLY human-friendly. The second one is the most important. This is the quality that allows the "trainers" who poke, prod, and beat the dogs to get them ryled up before a fight, also stand in the ring safely--because the dogs are so rarely proned to attacking humans. Granted, if you starve, beat, and force a dog to fight, it's going to be on a hair-trigger b/c it's always in survival mode.

Seriously, do some research. Pit bulls (and this has been confirmed by the behavior of all I have come into contact with so far in my life) have an really sweet disposition.

I'm not saying dogs don't tick me off in regards to training. In fact, they have been a real problem, mostly because I am sort of out in the country. Most people don't leash their dogs because they have big yards. I have been nipped on my bike, and nearly run over a few dogs. My former roomate plowed into a massive 75 pounder at about 25mph (managed not to fall, which I thought was a testament to his good bike handling skills). And just last night I was chased in the dark (on a dirt road, to give you some perspective on that "country" element I mentioned before) by a dog that is normally very nice to me (he'll run up next to me panting and will follow me for a mile or more sometimes...I usually enjoy the company).

The key to coping with dogs as we train is learning to identify behaviors that show a dog's intentions/mood. They aren't always easy, and I think we would be greatly helped if an animal control worker, or vet, or trainer could post some of this on here. But I think things like the tone of a growl, the way their tail is positioned, and things like that are all of paramount importance in the situation. The safest thing we can do is get loud, and take a commanding body position. A lot of humans can't seem to "read" other people, but animals can read our behaviors like a book.

Seriously, don't take me too seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading through your post, I am not really sure what point you are trying to make. Are you simply telling a story about what happened to you during a run or trying to prove a point about dogs and dog owners in general? I am a good 20 years your junior, but one thing that I have learned in life is that not everyone is good. Bad people are everywhere and some of them are dog owners. Some of them are cyclists, police officers, bike shop owners, and even...wait for it...car boat owners. Run by me and my Boxer while we are out for a walk and she might try to follow and run with you. Of course she can't because she is leashed. I also pick up her poop. You can't look at single or even several experiences with dog owners and generalize or you would conclude from observing me and my dog that dogs are all good and that all dog owners are responsible. Thats just silly and you know it.

I've defended you here in the past, but I am starting to wonder if you look for the fight and then throw up the victim card when the inevitable haymaker comes your way. No question that there are lots of bad pet owners, but is that really your point? Who are you trying to convince? People are attached to their dogs and don't always acknowledge their shortcomings with their pets. So what...hasn't that fact been discussed ad nauseum and more or less settled? Aren't you really just trying to get some pet owners fired up at you and then wonder why you catch so much heat on this forum? Aren't you?...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People who do not care, or aren't cared for by anything living or alive, are the most likely to actually endulge themselves with lives for the sole purpose to use and abuse.

Be it pets or children....

No wonder mankind is heading towards doom.

Re: Why dog owners, and therefore dogs, have reputations [de-tri-mental] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poor cat... as mentioned, this could have been a kid. This was a terrible dog-owner... he only cared when he was worried he might get into trouble... he could care less if his dogs killed a cat or hurt you. Sorry dude....

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Why dog owners, and therefore dogs, have reputations [PennState] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Poor cat... as mentioned, this could have been a kid. This was a terrible dog-owner... he only cared when he was worried he might get into trouble... he could care less if his dogs killed a cat or hurt you. Sorry dude....

He was a terrible person, who happened to be a dog owner. I think that is getting lost in the insanity of this post.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Why dog owners, and therefore dogs, have reputations [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

He was a terrible person, who happened to be a dog owner. I think that is getting lost in the insanity of this post.

Bingo!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Why dog owners, and therefore dogs, have reputations [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

That's what happens on internet froums......
Disclaimer... I don't like dogs... but I don't think most dog-owners are bad people... this guy was just an idiot.
I wouldn't pass any generalizations on dog owners at all from this incident.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Why dog owners, and therefore dogs, have reputations [PennState] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Disclaimer... I don't like dogs...
You just wont fit in around these parts :-)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting how some read what I wrote. I was very careful to not say this guy was a "bad" person.
I was very care to not say ALL dog owners are bad people. I was very careful to NOT say all dogs are bad.
What I said, for ME, is why dog owners have a reputation. I on purpose did NOT say all, and I on purpose
did not say some. Wanted to see how some would read it.

Oh well, it was my story. I did not do spelling checking since I had to run to my families mother day event.
I still am shaken from what I show, which as expected, many could care less about, or at least, that is what
they are willing to post. Now, if their animal, or someone they knew, was attacked as I saw first hand,
I wonder if they would still be so who cares. But, my reason for posting was to not change folks minds.

First reason I posted was to just deal with what I saw. And, commit to following through to see if the law cares.

Second, is I am now going to change how I run by myself. I may never get in this situation again, but, burned once,
shame on you, burned twice, shame on me. So, I will now find a way to carry a phone, and going to get pepper spray.
This was too close of a call to just say it will never happen again.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I agree with most of your post with the exception of the above. Please do not clump all dogs and dog owners in to the description of the above. You have clearly painted a picture of a complete loser dog owner. Ignorant losers generally have hurtful dogs. Hurtful dogs should NEVER be off a leash unattended, yet it's usually hurtful dogs that are running free in their yard chasing us when cycling and running. Responsible dog owners keep their dogs on leashes in the yard. Do you really think this is the first time this asshole has had this sort of problem with his dog? I run with my Brittany 4 days a week and part of the run is on a big grassy playground area of a school. I will often times let her off the leash for the 5 minutes I am running there to allow her a little freedom. She will ocassionallly chase a bird but birds have zero difficulty getting out of the way. It's actually funny to watch. I can assure you that me along with any responsible dog owner would never give her a minute off of the leash freedom again if anything close to that was performed. If someone present asked me to put her on the leash because they were afraid of dogs I would.
I find the above story as appauling as you and it's absolutely unacceptable social behavior. There is the problem this owner and his dogs both have zero socialization. I spend a lot of time with my dog and also spend daily minutes working on common commands that a dog must learn to follow. She is well cared for and loved and is a part of my family. Just as there are parents out there that have horribly bratty children proving they are not parents, but just parent shaped objects, there are also horribly irresponsible dog owners that allow their dogs to commit such acts on a daily basis.
Please do not clump all dogs and dog owners into the same pile. It's insulting to those of us that have trustworthy non hurtful dogs that at the worst might lick your leg and kindly ask for a belly rub while your out running.
Quote Reply
Re: Why dog owners, and therefore dogs, have reputations [goallout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, as I just tried to write, I did not lump all dog owners into the same group. My inlaws owned dogs for years and never had an issue
except the one time for some unknown reason, it attack one of my kids in the face when she was like 3 years old. I had the video camera
running and this is my kid with her face all full of blood and no idea what was behind the blood in terms of damage. My inlaws where mortified. But, it happened from the
nicest dog one can ever meet.

For some of us, the "reputation" of dog owners is they do not clean up after there dogs, and they do not keep them on a leash.
I see too many of these first hand to not say reputation. Now, I assume the vast majority of folks do not allow the above to happen.
But, I would bet a dollar that most of even the best dog owners, feel their dogs are too good to have to follow a leash law all
the time and let them run free when they think no one is around, or nothing would happen. That is what this guy I expect was doing this
morning. But, people can win the lottery. I just wish I had not been there to see it, and now have to deal with it!!

I have asked folks who do not have their dogs on a leash to please do so and am just laughed at. Not all, but enough to
have a "reputation".

Oh well, will see if anything happens out of this. I have seen the stories on the news when these types of dogs do this to children.
Just a horrible event having to see even though in my case it was "just" being done to a cat.

Now, when the guy did it the first time, and kinda blew me off, I just left. If he would have put the leashes on the dogs then,
that cat would still be alive, and I would not be having to make calls tomorrow. This is what I told him. I ignored the first time.
But, the second, and what happened, I can not.

Dave

Last edited by: h2ofun: May 11, 08 15:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next