Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [Horsepower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are shaving 'awkward' places then obviously your instincts will guide you to a kinder, gentler approach to shaving as well as guide you through the navigation of your razor around said 'awkward' places. Now the slices to avoid making are the ones on the back of your knees on those little tendons, your achilles tendon, patellar tendon, ankle bone, shin bone, knee cap...actually any slice you should avoid making, they sting like hades.

Enjoy!
Last edited by: MLSimpson: Feb 22, 08 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
O-K, you scared me out of doing it!!!

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why not use Nair everywhere???

Shaving is faster / easier for your legs, although Nair is a great way to take it off the first time. Nair is also good for places that wouldn't be considered razor-friendly ;)

----------------------------------------------------------

If it's a YMCA pool, the lightning wanders around the locker room naked for an hour, then uses the blow dryer on its junk. -lunchbox
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [wcaruso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering about that too....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [wcaruso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't have to spend big money on a MTB. I'm riding a $400 bike from REI and have a blast.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious:

1. bandaging after crashes (I've never laid a road bike down...I'm just asking for it, huh?).
2. wetsuit donning/removal- ever felt the neoprene grab and pull at the hair? MUCH easier hairless.
3. much easier to apply sunblock. I've reapplied on the bike- not sure it would be so easy w/ hair.

Seriouser:

1. Back to that wetsuit/Bodyglide thing- you end up with clumps of Bodyglide in your leg hair, and thats nasty looking.
2. Ever put on tights and have a bunch of hair sticking out- looks nasty.
3. I'm a product tester for Dran-o. When I cut off my fur, it clumps in the drain, making my shower the ideal test lab.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because it annoys my wife! Not bad, she just thinks I'm weird sometimes. (She's right, btw) My 7 year old gets a kick out of it, too.

Main reasons for me:

Ease of sunscreen application
Potential road rash cleanup (don't crash much, but don't enjoy scraping road AND hair out of the wound when I do!)

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just after I finally broke down and started shaving (mostly to "join the club"), I had a nasty crash on some wet RR tracks. Shattered my left kneecap to pieces. Before they were about to wheel me in for surgery, an orderly came in to shave the area. He saw that it was already shaved and he looked at me and said, "you saved yourself a world of agony, man." I can't imagine what it would have felt like for him to try to shave that area just then. They'd have had to strap me to the bed and put a broom handle between my teeth.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [Horsepower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not use Nair everywhere???

http://www.wired.com/...gazine/16-01/st_nair

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definition- ripped legs and every single striation bulging out..................
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skip the nair and use an epilady. At least that is what my wife is recommending to me. I don't really trust her advice right now, though, since she is pissed that she is the one who has to endure the pain of childbirth in a few months. I don't know...Maybe she's trying to get back at me? lol

Seriously, shaving to help with reducing road rash and treating it after it happens is reason enough to get the razor out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Womens love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I read somewhere years ago that during crashes on asphalt, leg hair actually "sticks" or grabs onto the asphalt more than skin alone facilitating skin removal and increasing the road rash factor significantly. The article went on to say that when your lycra shorts encounter the pavement, they will slide more freely over smooth skin than over hairy skin thereby reducing the severity of road rash. He want on to state that he always wore a light t-shirt under his jersey in order to help with this notion of reducing skin to pavement friction. The theory being that his jersey would slide over the undershirt reducing the amount of abrasion to the skin.

Seems plausible to me.

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cause it's awesome. Enough said.

Plus, then you get to be a big braggard and tell all your friends you're a triathlete :)

-dt2511

"Finally figured out how to get faster... Train more." - cerveloguy 3/6/08
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about chest and back hair? Where do you draw the line???

Quote | Reply
When I first started competitive cycling some 10 years ago I was not yet a leg-shaver. That year, I laid it down at over 30 mph while doing hill repeats (I had no choice.. a car pulled out in front of me -- my dumb choice of hills). I had severe road rash down my entire left leg. They scrubbed the wound for almost an hour to get the grit, and HAIR, out from the skin to avoid infection. Or so they told me. It was very, very unpleasant.

I've been shaving ever since. Now I'll admit smooth legs are also great for hot weather (I sweat a lot), during massage, and just plain feel while cycling. Not to mention it just looks good which helps motivation! But my initial reason was the crashes.

I'm well past the point of caring what others think and will usually just crack a joke about it when asked... =)

[reply]
NOW, I really like the way it feels against my wife's shaved legs...kind of erotic. [/reply]

Now this is a really nice perk.. don't knock it till ya try it! =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares!!! It's HOT!!

"Fall down 7 times....get up 8!!"
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [TRIWI~08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well there you go! It's hot! Forget about hair stubble, in grown hairs and the shit/sweat story from earlier! It's hot, she's horny,and we're submissive when it comes to horny women...

Quote | Reply
To showoff those sexy calfs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
people do it because they THINK it looks cool and thats it!!!!!

hydrodynamic....... most where a wetsuit anyways
road rash.......... how often are you guys crashing?
aerodynamics...... if your in time trial for the tour de france sure go ahead
chicks dig it...... most think its odd
massage....... thats what the lotion is for. My mt said it doesnt matter to her at all

I once was at an expo for a 1/2 ironman and 2 different people who I didnt know at all asked me why I didnt "shave down." I truly dont understand it but I could care less what the masses do. on that note enjoy your newly shaved legs
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, yes we do!

~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try it you'll like it...so the saying goes.
It takes about a week to get used to it. The stubble between the thighs was bothersome until I got things down pat.

as far as the "cut in an awkward place" I haven't, but I don't shave all the way up there...just trim.

Cut the back of my knee once near that tendon that sticks out...bled like a stuck pig for a day.

My twin brother "themeantwin" still makes fun of me in public places if we're wearing shorts about shaving my legs. Once people see his big belly and 45 pounds more than me they laugh at him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

http://tinypic.com/...?pic=11t4brt&s=3

WTF is with pictures?

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Last edited by: Record10Carbon: Feb 22, 08 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is hot....I am not horny.....and I'm just wondering what else I can get you to do if you're so submissive to my wishes!!

Actually, I am a woman and have no idea what the point truly is for men triathletes to shave their legs, BUT....I am not among the masses that think it's weird, I actually love triathlete men because they have to put forth a bit more effort in the hygiene/beauty department than your typical average man.....and that is HOT!!

"Fall down 7 times....get up 8!!"
Quote Reply
Re: Why do male triathletes and cyclists shave their legs?? [TRIWI~08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you marry me?

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply

Prev Next