Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why do I rinse the cottage cheese?
Quote | Reply
For almost three years, breakfast has been the same:

bran mixed with rinsed cottage cheese and non-fat yogurt. I use non-fat cottage cheese.

When I started this brew, I was told to rinse the cottage cheese. I understand that this was to remove the whey from the curds. I thought that this was because there was fat in the whey. But if it is non-fat cottage cheese, what am I accomplishing by rinsing it? I would like to skip this step because it is a pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're a nerd. Just eat it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
W-w-w-w-w-what? Skip it for sure. Dude, might as well start counting your calories if you're going to be that picky about diet.

I'd guess that people rinse it to make it less creamy. Silly fools!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rinsing goes back to Dave Scott. I think he did it at one point and it was covered by a magazine, the story became legendary even though he didn't do it anymore.

BTW I like the new tagline at the bottom.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dude, might as well start counting your calories if you're going to be that picky about diet.

I did count my calories based on certain balanced meals. Now I just eat those meals and nothing else, so I don't have to count. It is automatic.

Yes, I am a nerd, but weight has been my lifelong battle and this (no food decisions) is the only thing that has worked for me.

Every morning, the cottage cheese thing.

11:00 a high protein bar

1:00 can of tuna fish

3:00 a high protein bar

evening piece of chicken and a baked (microwaved) potato

half a PBJ before my evening workout

Protein drink after workout.

Prolly why I live alone (but for son, who has his own schedule)
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
BTW I like the new tagline at the bottom.
Yes. It is an homage! Or I guess you could also say I am a ball buster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yuk.

Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
yuk.
Initially yes. Now I look forward to it. The dogs get Jimmy Dean Sausage, Egg and Cheese Croissants for breakfast--490 calories. Sometimes I sneak a bite.
Last edited by: Monk: Dec 17, 05 9:27
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why do you think you 'need' dairy?
I don't. It is the protein.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No fruits and veggies?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're just kidding yourself. You may be controlling your weight but you sure aren't controlling your health. What you listed doesn't have all the nutrients your body needs. It will catch up to you some day!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i saw a piece not long ago which drew attention to significant sodium reduction from rinsing cottage cheese. the process also reduced calcium but had little effect on protein levels. same sodium reduction effect was noted from rinsing tuna and canned veggies.

so i chew gum when i run and you rinse cottage cheese.

whatever keeps your navy afloat and primed for action.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I heard or read that the liquid in the container contains some of the whey protein and shouldn't be poured out (like I was doing at the time). Now I just mix it in and it's fine. You're right about it being a bit salty though.

John
"A profoundly peaceful run; a gift to myself" Frazz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
Dude, might as well start counting your calories if you're going to be that picky about diet.

I did count my calories based on certain balanced meals. Now I just eat those meals and nothing else, so I don't have to count. It is automatic.

Yes, I am a nerd, but weight has been my lifelong battle and this (no food decisions) is the only thing that has worked for me.

Every morning, the cottage cheese thing.

11:00 a high protein bar

1:00 can of tuna fish

3:00 a high protein bar

evening piece of chicken and a baked (microwaved) potato

half a PBJ before my evening workout

Protein drink after workout.

Prolly why I live alone (but for son, who has his own schedule)
Mix in a salad, man!!!!!!!!!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [Ziva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not good about that. ANd to meet the minimum daily requirements I would need to have a guy follow me around with a vegetable cart. I guess a potato is not a fruit or vegetable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Dave Scott-rinsed cc came from a NBC(?) story they did on him during one of the race telecasts from the 1980s. They showed his kitchen table layed out with 7000-8000 calories of cooked/prepared food, fruit etc, which was equivalent to what he would burn during the race. The table was packed. I think they also showed him rinsing the cottage cheese to "reduce the fat content" for a meal he was preparing in between workouts. the practice amazed us at the time as he was the king, did phenomenal workout regimes, and yet was this consciences about his fat intake.

However, I think it was someone on Slowtwitch, who posted in the last year, that said Scott later commented on the story. He had rinsed the cc as an experiment for the first time ever, that it tasted terrible and he never did it again.

Monk, just eat the cottage cheese and relax.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. That is one of the most boring, disgusting sounding breakfasts I've ever heard of.

I had four pieces of Rudy's Organic Multigrain Oat toast with butter. YUMMMMM

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ack - tuna fish everyday? are you suicidal? I'd think a bag of doretos is more healthier (thanks tigerchik!)..

Have you checked your mercury levels lately?
Last edited by: acronym: Dec 17, 05 15:57
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [polarbear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]You're just kidding yourself. You may be controlling your weight but you sure aren't controlling your health. [/reply]

This is probably the best quote I've ever heard regarding people's efforts for "weight control".

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [acronym] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"healthier."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Tuna has protein... doritos don't. Doritos taste better :) and are vegetarian friendly!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In Reply To:
You're just kidding yourself. You may be controlling your weight but you sure aren't controlling your health.

This is probably the best quote I've ever heard regarding people's efforts for "weight control".

Lauren
How would you modify that nutritional program. First assuming no exercise, then assuming 10 hours of Friel Zone 2 work per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how 'bout adding some FRUITS and VEGETABLES!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Why do I rinse the cottage cheese? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
how 'bout adding some FRUITS and VEGETABLES!!!

I do take your point here, but with all due respect this is not any kind of "gimmick diet". It is not "low fat", "high protein" or "low carbohydate". It is not even "low calorie". The weight control part comes from exercise not cutting back on intake, the key being to keep the metabolism going. But for the fruit and vegetable weakness, it is Body For Life type nutrition. The words diet and exercise sound like punishment. I think of it as nutrition and activity.

I was steam-ng broccoli with dinner and having an apple with the tuna, but I stopped. I will start that again tomorrow. Thanks for the "push".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fruits and veggies are important for the vitamins and minerals and phytochemicals. You're robbing your body of those if you don't eat them. I realize you're not doing the lowcarb thing or lowfat or highprotein... but any balanced diet includes lots of brightly colored fruits and vegetables. They make good snacks! Apples are a filling snack and low-cal. So are carrot sticks, etc.

Quote Reply

Prev Next