Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why did the chicken cross the road? (re: roadkill)
Quote | Reply
... to show the armadillo it could be done.

I told that joke about armadillos, a.k.a. "Texas speed bumps", many times when I lived in the south. Armadillos have two defenses: dig down into the ground, or jump to about bumper height. Neither works well on a road.

But now that I've moved to the NorthEast, I have say that groundhogs might not be any better. We had groundhogs in the south, but not as many I guess. They're plastered all over the roads here. And unlike armadillos, which often stay intact after getting killed, the groundhogs usually end up in pieces smeared all over.

The groundhogs seem to really like the areas right next to the road. They pop out on the roads and I'm terrified of hitting one on my bike.

Anyone ever hit one on a bike?

What about squirrels?
Quote Reply
Re: Why did the chicken cross the road? (re: roadkill) [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't hit a groudhog yet but did tag a squirrel once. I think a groudhog might take me down cause those suckers can get pretty big. The squirrel was just a quick bump. Poor guy didn't make it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did the chicken cross the road? (re: roadkill) [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to school in NYC and my freshman year I was on a run with a couple of teammates on the south side of Central Park. A squirrel started to cross a path in front of us and paused briefly before continuing his run... directly under my foot. I stepped on him and tried to pull the weight off the foot but apparently put enough force down to break something because he finished crossing the path, got about 10 inches up a short fence, and then fell off. Dead.

Was about as crazy of a NYC wildlife interaction as it gets.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a squirrel Go through my wheel unharmed. I'd just crossed road in London at very low speed. H3 wheel helped.
Years ago had a pigeon try the same thing while i was on a bmx. A young child scared a group of them and it flew straight into the spokes. It did not end well.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did the chicken cross the road? (re: roadkill) [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

A problem with squirrels is they do that momentary hesitation thing mid-way in the road as you approach. Then . . .

squirrel in bike spokes (warning: can be disturbing)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit a wild turkey with my car last weekend. Felt terrible about it... at least I wasn't on my bike, it would have wrecked me for sure.
Quote Reply