Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chad, the minority can complain all they want. As USAT told me, only swimmers complain. What percentage of Tri folks do you think would call themselves swimmers. And again, they are allowed below 78 for liability reasons. Noo suits, no insurance, no events, pretty simple.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Combining the three different sports clearly changes them as to be nearly indistinguishable from the original."

this statement is a joke - correct - you can't say this with a straight face -

Running a 10K v. running a 10K after ridding you bike is indistinguishable from one another - I'd bet $50 a very high majority of non-athletic people could look at a person doing either race and realize they were running.

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Its not rocket science, my 6 year old can do it."

I would not recommend throwing any 6-year old into a wave start in, for example, Lake Michigan.

I think one of the lures of triathlons is the "danger" of the swim. Make it too dangerous for the newbie and there will be less people taking up the sport. Is that a good thing?
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I remember Springfield Ironhorse a few years ago when they told everyone at the pre-race meeting that due to the expected high temperatures and humidity along with warm (82 degree) water that wetsuits would not be allowed for the swim.

It was amazing the number of people that threw a fit saying that there was not way they could swim 1.5 miles without a wetsuit and they wanted their money back.

I am far from the best swimmer in my AG, but if you are not in shape to make the distance without a wetsuit then dont enter the fucking race and spend some more time in the pool.

KR[/reply]

No matter what you do some people will have an issue with it, but I think most of the people who are arguing for wetsuits in this thread are doing so to help in cold water. I swam a race in 62 degree water in just a trisuit, I had trouble breathing because of the cold, could not feel my hands until the third mile of the bike nor my feet until mile three of the run. I wish I had a wetsuit at that time...not to help my swim but to help with the cold.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't forget to check in three spots....
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [jsiemer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a swimmer, it has nothing to do with how much it helps other people. Wetsuits suck to swim in! They screw up your stroke, they are confining, and they tire you out more than swimming without one. Overall, wetsuit = pain in the ass.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can start off to the side to avoid the chaos. As far as kids in the swim go: watch just about any open water swim in Hawaii and you'll see a bunch of masters swimmers get their asses handed to them by 10 year olds.

If you can't swim without the water wings then spend some more time practicing.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [jamdavswim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a swimmer, it has nothing to do with how much it helps other people. Wetsuits suck to swim in! They screw up your stroke, they are confining, and they tire you out more than swimming without one. Overall, wetsuit = pain in the ass.

Amen.

Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"They screw up your stroke, they are confining, and they tire you out more than swimming without one. Overall, wetsuit = pain in the ass. "

So, if they tire you out more, screw up your stroke, and are confining...That kinda negates the unfair advantage to weaker swimmer argument.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's this simple: the little sprint triathlon Saturday will take place in 86 degree water because of the heat wave here in Pa. Among my friends going are two men who are competitive with each other. One can swim faster than the other. So the slower one will wear a wetsuit and then he'll be a bit faster. I gather many of you think that's just fine?

ruth
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [reverb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a definite advantage and it has been shown that as a swimmers ability (correct form) increases, the benefit decreases.

Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [rtk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I wore fins I'd be faster. Lets make fins legal too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not think wetsuits should be banned. For some swimmers (or RDs) they may be important for safety or warmth.

However, I AM very disappointed how wetsuits are being pushed on beginner triathletes as if they are an essential piece of equipment. I started out with a beginner team last year. We were all pressured by the coaches to get a wetsuit even though several of us had good reasons not to. My reason: I'm fine swimming in the cold water without one. Others: Some teammates weren't sure they were going to do more than a single triathlon. Why spend $200-300?

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I can't help saying it: ;) Swimming without a wetsuit is a liberation. It is way more enjoyable. Like abandoning the winter trainer for your first spring ride; or graduating from street running to trail running. You can actually FEEL the water. Your body moves through it more naturally. You feel like a seal at play.

I am disappointed that "new" triathletes are being fed this line about how important a few minutes of speed is - when really all a lot of us want is the PLAY of triathlon.

I bought a wetsuit to swim Alcatraz but now I'm back to swimming without one (including in San Francisco Bay). I don't miss the wetsuit one bit!

No judgment, though on people who like to swim with the wetsuits. I just don't understand why it's considered by default a "must have" piece of equipment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here we go with just another elitist thread. So worried about the "integrity" of the sport or it becoming so simple anyone could do it... blah blah blah. Out of the 1800 people at a half ironman MAYBE and I mean MAYBE 500 are serious RACERS. That leaves the rest of us Middle and Back of the packers. The 1300 of us are PRAYING we get to use our wetsuits and even with them none of you have anything to worry about from us in your quest for a podium finish. If you start complaining about the "masses" infilterating the sport be prepared for the consequences if the masses stopped showing up. For starters get ready to pay $400 entry fees for Half Iron Distance races because they can only draw 500 competitors. The Pros don't argue the point, 90% of the age groupers LOVE wetsuits and the rest you "top" age groupers really need to lighten up. And oh... BTW.... For crying out loud will someone save me a BAGEL!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I must be right because everyone else is "On My Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [TriBrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBrian - finally, someone said it...It's just a sport, and a hobby for all but a few.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [reverb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
..and my roller skates? you got a problem with that, you purists? You'd rather pay $400 for an entry than have me go by you? Maybe 25% of us triathletes (and I use the term loosely) have terrible knees. Is it going to bend you all out shape if I keep the fees lower for you by rolling instead of limping?

rtk
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [TriBrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
90% of the age groupers LOVE wetsuits and the rest you "top" age groupers really need to lighten up.

It's not about chasing people away from triathlon. It's about getting a more realistic temperature rule. Lower it to 72 or 68 for those competing for awards. The other 90% can still wear their wetsuits and enjoy the 'event'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Frankly, if I’m a race director I would go out of my way to make sure swimmers could use wetsuits because it increases my safety factor."

Exactly.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand: I agree

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I must be right because everyone else is "On My Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not elitist nor "top" age group in any way shape or form. Its not elitist to expect that someone who enters a triathlon have the basic skills to swim w/o assistance. The fact is the wetsuit is not required for saftey. And swimming in cold water isn't that bad, and I grew up swimming in the nice warm waters of Kona. What's the difference between wearing a wetsuit in 78 degree water and wearing fins? Both are strictly to increase speed.

I can not believe I am being called elitist because I think someone that enters a race that begins with a swim should actually know how to swim. How low have we sunk that basic skills are now considered elitist? Talk about dumbing down.

This is why other athletes think triathletes suck.

Last edited by: KEJ: Aug 3, 06 10:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"For starters get ready to pay $400 entry fees for Half Iron Distance races because they can only draw 500 competitors."

Then there is the other side of that coin... folks that are dedicated to the sport and training for all three disciplines wouldn't have to sign up for a race within 90 minutes of it opening. There would a longer signup window if folks knew they wouldn't be able to swim in an Ironman without a wetsuit.

I'm not calling for a ban of all wetsuits or anything. The original question was why do swimmers dislike the use of wetsuits which is what I responded to. I understand that triathlon is its own sport and I'm sure there would be plenty of people that wouldn't be in the sport if they couldn't wear wetsuits. But saying that in itself cheapens the sport, IMO. If the only way to complete a triathlon is if you get to use a crutch, the accomplishment is diminished.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply]swimming is already disproportionately short in hIM and IM racing compared to the bike/run. so those that have worked for many years to be accomplished swimmers are losing the already small advantage they get on the swim by the use of wetsuits. if the swim leg were closer in time proximity to that of the run/bike then it 'might' be a different arguement, probably not.[/reply]

Using the proportion of time argument (and comments from pros) it shouldn't matter since a HIM or IM is not won on the swim.
It could be if you had longer swims. just a thought. ...I'd say that the swim lengths would almost need to be doubled in HIM and IM to make the swim distance comparable to the bike /run.. but i swam my way to an education, so maybe that's just me. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
http://triathletebride.blogspot.com

Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [rtk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, it really doesn't matter to me. After competing in Tri's and Du's for some 15 years now, I've come to not take it so seriously. I've won my share of awards, and probably will continue to in the future. I just don't take it so seriously anymore. I have much bigger pet peeves in the Tri world, like good swimmers constantly leeching onto my wheel as I pass them on the bike. See, that's cheating. Wearing a wetsuit, no matter what you're swimming abililty is not...As long as the race director sets the rules. If triathlon as we know it ends today, life will go on...
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am an average swimmer.

I use wetsuits because everybody else does. I actually prefer races where they are banned as I don't panic in the swim.

The one thing I would like to see is an announcement multiple days before the event whether wetsuits are banned. I have arrived at a race not knowing whether they would be banned so I am carrying something that is potentially useless, easy to abscond, and easy to accidentally leave at the event. And before someone suggests putting it back in the car or hotel. I have a number of races I either bike to or walk a fair distance from a hotel.

I agree with tribrian in that for most newbies the swim is the scariest part. If wetsuits are what it takes to get more people involved then allow them, just ban them for TNT people.

Compared to the swim aids allowed in the Danskin women's series wetsuits are NOTHING.

Somebody also posted that bikes do not have the same performance improvement. I think that is BS. I biked a HIM last year on a hybrid(Giant Cypress) with no aerobars. This year I bike the same HIM on a road bike(Kestrel Talon) with aerobars. 17.9mph vs. 22.5mph. I might be more fit this year, but not 4.6mph worth.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are some swimmers so uptight about the use of wetsuits? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just ban them for TNT people

Oh no you di-n't!

Compared to the swim aids allowed in the Danskin women's series wetsuits are NOTHING

I have participated in races where they would give you a swim buddy if you asked for one. There are plenty of races for newbies to get comfy in before heading out into the big, scary mainstream races.

Quote Reply

Prev Next