Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why Yaqui Will Not Build Bikes
Quote | Reply
I was going to get a fitting by Paul Levine. I understand he would provide me with a draft of my measurements in order to build a custom made bike. I am interested in several bikes one of them is a Yaqui. However, apparently Yaqui will not accept my measurements from Paul. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Quote Reply
Re: Why Yaqui Will Not Build Bikes [kfisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe he's buddys with Grant Peterson.
Cullen
Quote Reply
Re: Why Yaqui Will Not Build Bikes [Cullen Watkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure what that means.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you fill out the online fit form? Just plug your measurements in. You don't need Paul for this.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Yaqui Will Not Build Bikes [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I find the Yaqui sizing system actually worked perfectly for me. Ves is very carful about who's meaurements he accepts. He would not take mine. I don't blame him.

If you give four guys a tape measure and show them exactly how to measure an inseam or a torso or a femur I guarantee those four will still have some variance measuring the same person ranging from slight to significant.

If you want a Yaqui, and there are good reasons to want one- just do what Ves says and my experience is it will work out.

Too many cooks spoil the pudding.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps the methodology of the taking of the measurements differs.

A 1/4 x 24 tpi bolt and a 6mm x 1mm bolt will provide just about the same fastening power, both can be had in the same lengths and strengths and even look similar. They might fit in the same hole and even both start to thread into the same nut. Similarities aside, they are not interchangable.

When I was shopping doctors for sugery, they didn't take the previous doc's assesment and start cutting. They all examined me, even if it was the same way, I suspect they each had a slight difference in what they were looking at.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul has his methodology and approach, and Ves has his. Ves builds bikes the way he sees fit. I wouldn't be suprised if he wouldn't want to build a bike to somebody's specs where he has no input. After all, his name is on the bike. I doubt anyone would raise this sort of issue if the builder was Richard Sachs.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Yaqui Will Not Build Bikes [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Paul has his methodology and approach, and Ves has his. Ves builds bikes the way he sees fit. I wouldn't be suprised if he wouldn't want to build a bike to somebody's specs where he has no input. After all, his name is on the bike. I doubt anyone would raise this sort of issue if the builder was Richard Sachs.

sometimes fitters understand anatomy but cannot take it any further than that. it's fairly simple to get the rider's contact points in the correct plane but few (fitters) understand how these points properly interface with a bicycle design that is efficient, stable, and comfortable. ves knows his stuff - let him have free reign.
e-RICHIE
Last edited by: e-RICHIE: Nov 9, 04 18:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ves is the shiznit. I sent him my measurements but I typoed one of them, and he wrote back saying that they didn't jive. He then proceeded to tell me about my riding style and strengths/weaknesses with eerie accuracy. The man knows cycling.

I am not a particularly easy person to impress, but Ves impressed the hell out of me.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Why Yaqui Will Not Build Bikes [e-RICHIE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"sometimes fitters understand anatomy but cannot take it any further than that"

Eh, Richard, this is harsh even in my book. But what can I say, we "Joiners" are some tough tread.

Keep pedaling.

Ves
Quote Reply
Re: Why Yaqui Will Not Build Bikes [Ves Mandaric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap, Ves Mandaric and Richard Sachs posting on the same thread! I love this place.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Yaqui Will Not Build Bikes [Ves Mandaric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you kids and the jerk are in for some trouble....looks like e-richie and ves have teamed up on a tri-geek forum to knock some sense into us.....this is the real deal, pay attention.

that being said, all other things being equal the jerk would much prefer a frame that handles correctly to a frame that fits correctly...fact of the matter is any moron can give you the latter it takes alot of experience and knowledge to give you the former....ves is one of those guys and the jerk is even more impressed with him now knowing he won't compormise his knowledge, his experience and his good name based on some measurments "figured out" by someone who quite possibly has never built a frame, welded a tube, or read a coni manual. fitters are just that fitters. they shoudl give builders three points...saddle, in relation to pedals in realtion to bars....the rest is up to the frame builder. most fitters are not paul levine unfortunatly...perhaps more unfortunatly most builders aren't e-richie or ves.

jerk

http://www.echelonbicycles.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why Yaqui Will Not Build Bikes [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Khai, getting a new bike?? Cool when do we get to admire it?

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was going to get a fitting by Paul Levine. I understand he would provide me with a draft of my measurements in order to build a custom made bike. I am interested in several bikes one of them is a Yaqui. However, apparently Yaqui will not accept my measurements from Paul. Has anyone had a similar experience?

This makes perfect sense. When I decided on a Yaqui, Ves sent me the form with the diagram of a guy. I took the measurements as instructed, but didn't give it much thought. After all, I had my bike dialed in exactly how I wanted the main contact points. I wanted Ves to make a frame that would handle well and hold together the whole jury-rigged mess that I had created on the wrong frame.

When I walked in his shop I brought my existing bike to show him how I wanted everything (saddle height, reach, armrest drop, etc.). To my great surprise, he had a drawing up on his computer screen with my exact bike setup. Almost spooky.

Anyway, the point is -- if a guy's gotta build it, he's gotta be the one taking and interpreting the measurements. Bill Holland does the same thing, and I would guess every other custom builder.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Yaqui Will Not Build Bikes [jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this is no BS then it is a very, very cool development. Now if we can just get these fellows into posting more than just lurking, that would be fantastic.

Richard, my old boss rides one of your bikes. We did a little I'll-show-you-mine-if-you'll-show-me-yours after Ves built me a bike last year. What a gorgeous machine. I swear he loves that thing more than he loves his family.

And Ves, I've decided that this is the year to get a new road bike. I just have one specific training goal to meet then you'll be hearing from me. It should only take me about 6 months. I'm stupid excited.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Yaqui Will Not Build Bikes [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New job == new bike. (FINALLY) I'm in early talks with Ves and I'm looking at a March(ish) delivery date, as I still have to save up for it. Everything's budgeted though, so hopefully no surprises.

Are you guys still doing that sick-ass early morning swim out of Watermania? I'm working out of Richmond now, so I just might join you when I'm in town - my swim really needs it. (The new job is 50-60% travel)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply