Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why WOULDN'T you buy these bikes?
Quote | Reply
We can listen to the manufacturer as to why we SHOULD buy a bike, but, and without getting into a bashing-fest, why WOULDN'T you buy the bikes below? Looking for substance based reasons not simply "Because everyone has one" or "Because it's a Trek." So, other than fit, what would keep you from buying the bikes below?

Cervelo P3C

Trek E-TTX

QR Lucero

Scott Plasma

Kuota Kalibur

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Why WOULDN'T you buy these bikes? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because they are all carbon.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Why WOULDN'T you buy these bikes? [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough, I was trying to keep the variables minimized, each of them is carbon and is their respective companies top ride. So, with the carbon being a constant, why else?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
without getting into a bashing-fest, why WOULDN'T you buy the bikes below?
I used to race for a team that was sponsored by Giant Bicycles and have come to really like the companies products - especially since they are typically lower-priced than the products you listed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Why WOULDN'T you buy these bikes? [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I looked at their bew tri bikes, not crazy about them, plus I can get a decent deal on the bikes listed so am leaning towards them.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride steep, and I think the P3C doesn't look as good with the saddle in the forward position. The Lucero and the Kalibur are both 76 degree bikes. I am not sure about the TTX or Plasma.
Quote Reply
Re: Why WOULDN'T you buy these bikes? [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i feel that with compaines like cervelo and QR (have not been on the others) that a little lower down the line will get you a big price reduction without the speed loss, given you keep them in good working order and they fit. i have been on a cervelo dual and P2K, along with a QR caleinte, lucero, and kilo, and with both companies, while the dual/kilo was a little harsher ride, i did not feel slower (maybe a little on the kilo), and with the P2K and the caleinte, they felt and rode the same IMO as the high end bikes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the P3C will let you get to about 80 degrees with the new seatpost and the head tube is pretty short which I like. The other bikes have way too slack of a seat tube angle (for me) and the Trek's headtube is way too long.

That said, you can get custom Ti for the same price or custom steel/aluminum for about 1/3 the price. With custom you can get everything exactly like you want it, including a sweet and stable low bottom bracket.

I'd go custom.
Quote Reply
Re: Why WOULDN'T you buy these bikes? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You say the Trek's headtube is "way too long." Across most comparable sizes it is only about 1cm higher than that of the P3C.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My response to all:

1. Headtube too short.

2. Top tube too long.

3. Seat angle not steep enough.

I looked at all of these bikes prior to this season. Could not fit on a single one without using multiple spacers, flipping a seat post, etc. My simple answer to all is that I would not buy one b/c I cannot fit on one properly. Other than that, I think they are all outstanding machines.

Two specific comments (just my 2 cents):

P3C: Headtube simply is way too short for almost everyone (which is why you always see spacers).

Trek: Not a triathon bike, no matter what they claim. This is a time trial bike. Not steep enough.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would buy 4 out of the 5. They are all on my wishlist. Why not list the new Felt DA?

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Why WOULDN'T you buy these bikes? [azierej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the good info.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Why WOULDN'T you buy these bikes? [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I haven't seen it, I guess that's the only reason I left it off.

You said 4 of the 5, which one isn't on your wishlist? And why?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If one or all came with Shimano components. Otherwise, - if I couldn't get one to fit me properly..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P3C "Everyone has one", well that wasn't an allowed answer I guess... If you are built with long legs and short upper body, it's tough to get comfortable.. really wanted this one, but just didn't fit right.... probably could have worked, but would be a very short stem (70mm) and that's doesn't sound good for stability

Trek E-TTX Very new and unknown how good it really it for us normal mortal people...

QR Lucero Can't answer why not... I have one myself...:-) and I love it!

Scott Plasma Tried one and didn't feel stable... Very light and looks like nice quality

Kuota Kalibu No personal experience... so no comment....

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott Plasma: Too wide top-tube - would hurt my knees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road the P3C and the Kalibur.

Didn't like them nearly as much as the Guru Chrono that felt much faster. Custom fit. Very cost competitive. Give it a look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming that you can achieve the same fit on each of these bikes (you can't if you want really steep) and that you want carbon (for whatever reason) then my objections would be thus:

Kalibur - about as aerodynamic as a brick, concave tubing catches crosswind and detracts from handling. Know a few guys who've moved on very quickly once they've tried cervelo/scott. They described the ride as tractorlike.

Lucero - havent they had seatclamp ripping out issues? Other than that nothing against them

P3C - Doesnt have replaceable hanger (but nor do most of the others on your list) - only fault I can think of

Plasma - fat headtube is questionable, top tube is wide. Dont like the ISP - limits adjustability and resale (and lets face it - most of us are not going to keep a carbon bike more than 2 years) plus is a pain for travel. having big issues with lacquer bubbling as they rushed production to get them to market.

Trek - steering geometry is a departure from standard and while it makes sense I would definitely want a decent test ride before commiting. Plus I don't like trek (Had to sneak that in).

Everyone is weighing in against being commited to carbon, if you have the budget to get one of these frames, put good parts and wheels on it, have a fitting session and make sure of all the other little details (like being able to afford race entry!) then full speed ahead. If you have a dollar figure in mind that may be largely taken up just by the frame then there may be better ways to buy speed. Don't be like my brother with a P3C and having to borrow race wheels (Incidentally he is very unsure that he gained anything by going from p3 to p3c).

Personally only the Lucero and P3C would fit me which limits the choice much more.
Quote Reply
Re: Why WOULDN'T you buy these bikes? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You win poster of the year award in my book.

The P3C and E-TTX are a little out of my range, the Kalibur (which I am not a huge fan of), Lucero and Plasma (with a team discount) are in my range.

I think we had discussed fitting issues regarding the TTX and P3C in a PM last week. Would you mind spreading some knowledge via PM about the Lucero as well? It seems to get very few negative reviews, although I am a little unsure about the geometry. If I a reading their size chart info correctly it seems as though even though I would be a 54 in the P3C and a Medium in the E-TTX I may be a large in the Lucero? Seems to be somewhat of a large gap between the Medium and Large Luceros and my biggest fear is getting a bike that is too big.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
easy...... I can't afford them. End of story.

-------------------------
"I like to start out slow, and then taper off."

-Doug Thorne (TVHS XC)
Quote Reply
Re: Why WOULDN'T you buy these bikes? [azierej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's the difference between a triathlon bike and a time trial bike? Please enlighten the mountain biker.

-------------------------
"I like to start out slow, and then taper off."

-Doug Thorne (TVHS XC)
Quote Reply
Re: Why WOULDN'T you buy these bikes? [Xterraguy15-19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A tri bike has a steeper geometry than a traditional TT bike. There is a blurring of the lines now though. Some TT bikes are tri bikes, or is it the other way around? The Cyfac CLM and the Hed TT are examples of a traditionall TT bike.

Ric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because I can buy a softride.

I think that may be my next TT bike, since any hopes of Commonwealth Games TT have pretty much vanished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traditional shape frame. Take the decals off and each is almost a copy of the other. If your going to go aero, go all the way: Softride, Walser, Cheetah, Corima, Hotta, etc.
Quote Reply

Prev Next