Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why Tubular?
Quote | Reply
It seems like a lot of the higher-end race wheels are tubular vs. clicher. I have only changed clinchers, but seems like tubulars are more labor intensive to fix. In a sport where time is of most importance (for most!), why are there so many tubulars out there? Probably sounds like a rookie question, and there's good reason for that.

Trislow
Quote Reply
Re: Why Tubular? [trislow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Search.... there are probably 10000 posts on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It seems like a lot of the higher-end race wheels are tubular vs. clicher. I have only changed clinchers, but seems like tubulars are more labor intensive to fix. In a sport where time is of most importance (for most!), why are there so many tubulars out there? Probably sounds like a rookie question, and there's good reason for that.

Trislow

I'll just toss this out.

I, for one, can change a normally glued tubie far faster than I can a clincher.

"you know, aero trumps training ;-) "
R10C 10/09
Quote Reply
Re: Why Tubular? [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubies are actually easier and faster to change when you flat in a race. The wheels and tires are lighter. The can hold higher pressure on occaisons where it is needed. Clinchers have improved to the point where performance is probably equal, and the subject of much ST debate.

Personally, I still like tubies.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubies rarely, if ever, pinch flat.
Faster to change.
You can ride them quite a distance while flat.

(I ride clinchers.)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Search.... there are probably 10000 posts on this.

There may be 10000 posts on here and hundreds of thousands of posts all over the internet if you Google it up but why be a douche bag about it? There will be zero questions and zero discussions on ST going forward if the answers to everything is "search." If you don't want to answer the question don't.

Quote | Reply
Or you could figure out that this question has been answered so many times its mind numbing for people to continue to post the exact same question about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or you could just not be a douche about it, like zoom said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot is tradition because 20 years ago there was almost no such thing as a race quality clincher. A lot is personal taste, which won't be resolved by quantitative debate. Tubulars offer a significant weight advantage which is more important for road racing than TT/Triathlon. Tubulars are less prone to pinch flats because the tube is fully encased in the casing. Tubulars are much more time and labor intensive to mount properly in the shop/home. Some say on the road changes are faster than clinchers, some don't. A tube is less heavy/bulky to carry than a tire. Everything else is a matter of debate.
Last edited by: admill: Apr 2, 10 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride clinchers for the convenience, but I recently bought one (front) tubular for TTs. I don't care much about weight, and I'd be wary of hard turns on any tubular applied on the road after a flat, but... for TTs flatting is a non-issue: if I flat I lose. Plus, with deeper wheels tubulars tend to be more aero, especially with a cross wind. That said, I only went with the one tubular (after promising myself I was done with them) because I got a nice deal on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For reference I have Zipp 303's in both Tubular and Clincher. Same year, same hub, same spokes and comperable tires (although I suppose I could try the same version of tire in both clincher and tubie) so I suppose the comparison is about as fair as it gets. I greatly prefer riding the tubular version to the clincher. Some if it is due to the fact that the tubie is almost a pound lighter than the clincher, but I'm sure some has to do with the feel of the tire itself.
Honestly though on my tri bike it makes little difference since what I like about the tubulars is their responsiveness -or 'Jump' when accelerating. This plays a factor while road racing and in my enjoyment sprinting to and from stop signs on training rides, for the long steady grind of a Tri the clinchers are just as nice.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and by the way, in 10+ years of road racing on clinchers I've only suffered a pinch flat once: a pothole at full speed (in a pack) pinch flatted the front wheel and broke both rims (without flatting the rear tire!). So while the "tubies don't pinch flat" argument is true, I really don't see it as much of an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I bought my wheels in 2006 (Blackwell Disc and 100 front), there were not many clincher disc choices. No Zipp, No Hed, the Renn had the 575 and Maderia, but they never returned my phone calls.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Tubular? [mntriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
okay sorry didn't mean to offend the guy who has been here for 2 weeks...
Quote Reply
Re: Why Tubular? [mntriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Or you could just not be a douche about it, like zoom said.

oh please - douchebaggedness [not that this is an example of it really] is a time honored tradition, especially when it comes to clincher v tubbies.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Tubular? [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the support of my non-douchebaggedness...

and just for my own personal support of my non-douchebaggedness. no one has mentioned that you can ride on tubulars when they are flat but you cant ride on clinchers...

that said

SEARCH lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And to help out the OP - here is a similar question asked by some FNG back in 2006 ;-)

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
thanks for the support of my non-douchebaggedness...

and just for my own personal support of my non-douchebaggedness. no one has mentioned that you can ride on tubulars when they are flat but you cant ride on clinchers...

BS...that depends on the tire and the rim, and in both cases (tubular or clincher) continuing on a flat all depends on whether or not you care about damaging your rims.

If there's ONE thing that really bugs me about the tubular vs. clincher angst is the absolutism that some apply to their opinions...i.e. tubulars pinch flat less, clinchers don't "ride" as well, tubulars are "rounder", etc, etc....

Actually...if it weren't for the development of the deep carbon tubular rim, tubular tires would have probably died out long ago...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why Tubular? [Boudreaux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Trislow

I'll just toss this out.

I, for one, can change a normally glued tubie far faster than I can a clincher.

Which only means that it would have higher rolling resistance than an equivalent clincher tire/tube setup...so yeah, the tubie won't slow down your flat change as compared to a clincher, but you'll be slower all the time you ride it. I'm not sure if I'd go with that tradeoff...

Quote Reply
Re: Why Tubular? [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For reference I have Zipp 303's in both Tubular and Clincher. Same year, same hub, same spokes and comperable tires (although I suppose I could try the same version of tire in both clincher and tubie) so I suppose the comparison is about as fair as it gets. I greatly prefer riding the tubular version to the clincher. Some if it is due to the fact that the tubie is almost a pound lighter than the clincher, but I'm sure some has to do with the feel of the tire itself.
Honestly though on my tri bike it makes little difference since what I like about the tubulars is their responsiveness -or 'Jump' when accelerating. This plays a factor while road racing and in my enjoyment sprinting to and from stop signs on training rides, for the long steady grind of a Tri the clinchers are just as nice.

Make it same tire AND tube type...and then have someone randomly put them on your bike and somehow prevent you from knowing which wheelset is on there...then get back to us ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Trislow

You can read all of the pros and cons but I would never buy another tubular again. Too much hassle compared to clinchers.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Tubular? [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the information and opinions, I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Tubular? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just like clinchers, tubies rarely, if ever, pinch flat.
Faster to change if you don't care about giving up rolling resistance
Just like clinchers, you can ride them quite a distance while flat if you don't care about your rims.

I fixed your post for you ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Why Tubular? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
if it weren't for the development of the deep carbon tubular rim, tubular tires would have probably died out long ago...

I think that you are underestimating the great role that tradition plays in the sport of cycling.*

*Ironically, triathletes like to lay claim to being innovators, but I see just as much emotional support for tubulars on this forum as on any purely cycling one.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Tubular? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
if it weren't for the development of the deep carbon tubular rim, tubular tires would have probably died out long ago...

I think that you are underestimating the great role that tradition plays in the sport of cycling.*

*Ironically, triathletes like to lay claim to being innovators, but I see just as much emotional support for tubulars on this forum as on any purely cycling one.

So...what you're saying is my "probably" should have been a "possibly"? :-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next